Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Files keep corrupting!!
xX Isaac Cox Xx [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 02, 2012 20:45 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Hi there,

I'm using Windows 7 running PowerDirector 12, usually quite relaible but apparntly not today. The video files keep going mising every time I need to retart the software. They turn to blank 0,0,0 files however, everything else like the audio and images are fine. I've fixed this once already, I've gone a lot deeper since and don't have time to do it all over again.

Any ideas as to why this is happening or how to fix it?

Thanks!
xX Isaac Cox Xx [Avatar]
[Post New]
Picture
[Thumb - Untitled.png]
 Filename
Untitled.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
102 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
40 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
You most likely have your video files that are going blank at 0,0,0 on a media that is no longer available. This could be a hard disk, media card, camera HD, external hard disk or simple a media picking up a new drive letter after boot.

Move media to a always mounted hard drive or next time you correct the project use the "Pack Project Materials..." in the file menu and save to a mounted hard drive. This will assemble and copy all media used in the project to the defined location. Use the pds file in this folder for future editing.

Jeff
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
My first guess, is you are maybe trying to edit videos that are on a removeable hard drive or on your SD card from your camera and you have disconnected one or both devices.

USB devices are known to go to sleep sometimes.

It is always best to create a working folder on your computer's internal hard drive. Then copy your material to that working folder.

Edit: I was typing while Jeff answered.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 28. 2015 16:51

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

xX Isaac Cox Xx [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: My first guess, is you are maybe trying to edit videos that are on a removeable hard drive or on your SD card from your camera and you have disconnected one or both devices.

USB devices are known to go to sleep sometimes.

It is always best to create a working folder on your computer's internal hard drive. Then copy your material to that working folder.

Edit: I was typing while Jeff answered.

Thank you very much for the response firstly. Secondly the files are all kept within the desktop and work perfectly when clicking them. However on testing, I can open up a new file, post that video that I've edited onto the timeline and then saving it and rebooting the system, can see that it turns to black files again.
xX Isaac Cox Xx [Avatar]
[Post New]
Also I should note, it's not just that one file that keeps currupting. It's all the videos on the timeline and I have opened up previous projects to find the same results happening.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The next time this happens browse to the location where you know you imported that file. If that works then you are probably low on virtual memory. You claim that you are importing the video files from your desktop (drive c) and saving the pds file to the same drive. Check to see how much free space you have on drive c.