Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Motion Tracking - Old & New
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Early in 2014 - PDR 12 - after hours of keyframing, I posted this...

I thought I'd try the same clip/scenario using PDR 14's Motion Tracker...

... just a bit quicker! laughing

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
It seems almost magical after the keyframe method of old. Yes, its been around for years in other softwares but I really wanted it in Powerdirector being my favourite editor.

Now it is! Yippee! Thanks Tony for your graphical post.

Cheers - Don

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 25. 2015 14:32

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit,
Processor: Intel i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs)
Memory: 16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
120 GB SSD
Drift Ghost S Headcam
[Post New]
I've tried it in the trial version of PD14 using a clip of my son playing soccer. The speed of play is faster than the auto tracking can handle so key frames are still needed on my end.
parmy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 08, 2015 08:23 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Im new to video editing and this forum so apologies if ive not posted in the correct part of the forum, my background is in security and a client of my has asked me to blur out some faces in a video clip etc.

I have purchased a 3mth subscribtion to power director 14 suite prior to purchase i looked at the comparisons table and the version i purchased had all the tick so i assumed this version to be the most complete?

Having tried using the motion tracker feature i find it consistantly loses tracking of the image selected, ive tried different target sizes and watched most of the vids on utube and here, is there a way to slow down the tracker preview? im hoping this will make it more stable, also ive seen the video that was posted by Ynotfish and in the video in the modify tab by the time line there is a motion tab which is used to correct the tracking I cant seem to find this ?

Anyone have any suggestions as i need to blur out several faces, within a single cctv video clip, thanks in advance.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Tony(Ynotfish),

Yeah, you've given me a few ideas to try out sometime soon, Thanks muchly!

and Parmy,

when setting the tracker box, narrow it in closer on the subject. The tracker should work better but you might have to experiment a bit with the keyframes. Ynotfish's vids may give some clues in that direction.

Cheers!

Neil
parmy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Neil, ive tried making the tracking box all sizes is there any way of actually slowing the tracking down when you hit the tracking button, I think its struggling because when you hit the tracking button the video clip looks like its on fast forward!
Thanks.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi parmy -

The motion tracker can take a bit of "nursing" depending on the video clip you're using. If it has strong contrast and fairly predictable motion, it's fine.

I know what you mean about not being able to slow down the tracker, but there's a way around it.

Once you've applied the tracker the first time, & it's wavered from the path you wanted, try this:

1. In Motion Tracker, play back ► the tracker...

2. As soon as it goes off track, pause it

3. Reposition the tracker

4. Press the Track button again

5. Repeat that till you get it right.

The disadvantage of that is that you may get little jumps where the object is switching from one track to the next. I did this in a hurry & the jumps are obvious, but you can tighten them up so the viewer wouldn't be aware...

Cheers - Tony
parmy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ynotfish, thanks for your reply when I said above I was new to video editing what I meant was this is my first attempt lol.

problem I have is that on some cctv footage I need to mask up to five different people to protect their identities is there a way that I can save the clip once I have applied a Blur etc and then reload it to appy another blur and so on? think I've got the hang of keyframes now
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, Parmy!

I was about to suggest that Tony(Ynotfish) had the possible answer you were looking for, but by now you'll have already seen and read same. Hope Tony's suggestion has helped, and if so, all credit due to Tony.

As for me, after viewing the clips about tracing the bag, it has given me an idea or two to try out. now all I need is a suitable clip on which to try it them out.

Cheers!

Neil.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi parmy -

You're completely new to video editing and you've given yourself the task of blurring up to 5 faces in a CCTV clip! surprised That's adventurous.

With PDR14's motion tracker, you can apply multiple effects within the same clip. There's no need to produce the first one then go back and re-edit the produced clip (even though that would work too).

**This tutorial (at 3:50)** shows how to add additional tracker timelines.

Cheers - Tony

P.S. I thought the idea of CCTV was to catch 'em! laughing
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tony,
I've asked the following over on the PD13 page as I have PD13. I'm curious if PD 14 has the same 'issue'?

I've cropped a clip and then applied 'stabilizer' - then tried to use Motion Tracker and find that as I preview the motion - it tracks 'frame by frame' just fine - but when I preview it either out in the Edit room or if I produce it and view it on my TV - the arrow I use to follow the subject - is NOT positioned correctly.

Does this happen in PD14 also?

Just curious - thanks PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive