Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 13 Crash during production
[Post New]
I installed patch on 6-9-2015. Unable to produce video since. While producing mp4 file, crash.

Sony POV action camera, FDR-X1000V, 1080 @60fps. I have produced dozens of videos and no issues, but once the latest patch was installed, it crashes during production. Producing a XAVC file 1080@60fps. Also attempted to use Inteligent SVRT, crashed during production.

I uninstalled PowerDirector 13 and reinstalled. I have NOT reinstalled the patch, yet. Crashed again, pointing to a different issue?

I contacted Cyberlink support. Not helpful. Telling a laundry list of things to do which I already did. Cleared shadow files, for example.

Not sure if I have provided enough information to get some help on this forum?

Appreciate your assistance on getting this crash problem resolved.

David

OffRoadRider15f on YouTube.
 Filename
David 64.txt
[Disk]
 Description
Diag test 64
 Filesize
53 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
229 time(s)
[Thumb - PD Screenshot.JPG]
 Filename
PD Screenshot.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Screenshot
 Filesize
348 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
156 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Hi David_15f. You've done an excellent job of describing your problem and providing enough details about your system for people here to help

As you may know, your CPU is reasonably powerful and should work fine with HD clips, but your RAM is on the low side (8GB or higher would be better) and your GPU is really not up to this task. See this *chart*.

Also, your nVidia driver is about a year old and you should definitely update it to at least v344.65. You can also come all the way up to the current driver (v353.06). It's best to do a Custom installation and only install the graphics driver and uncheck everything else, although the audio driver and PhysX software normally don't cause any problems. You should also check the Clean Installation button to uninstall the existing driver first.

Another thing I'd recommend is to check if turning on Shadow Files (under the General Settings [gear] menu) makes a difference. Note that you'll need to close and reopen PD after changing the setting and then you'll need to wait until PD processes all your clips. That may take quite a while, but it's really important for the processing to finish otherwise you're likely to see a crash. It possible that's what you've been seeing.

Also, when you produce you may have better results if you turn off OpenCL on the Settings|Hardware Acceleration menu, and/or if you produce to a different profile like H.264 AVC M2TS (1920x1080/60p) or MP4 (1920x1080/30p) just to see if you can get either of those to work.

Pleasse try out these steps and let us know how it goes!

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
[Post New]
Thanks for your help, optodata.

I am confused why my PC has edited just fine for two months. But I download a patch and it crashes.

I am making the changes now. Installing drivers...

It appears I need to stop wasting time and buy a new PC.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There have been a few other people reporting similar problems with the newest patch, and uninstalling PD then reinstalling but not adding the latest patch was a good move on your part.

If you have a system that has to work really hard to edit HD video, sometimes seemingly little changes like using a different transition or editing a longer clip or video can result in a crash, and the updated driver may help but I can't make any promises.

If you're able to get a new machine, I will promise that you'll have a much smoother editing experience and greatly reduced producing times. Speaking from experience, getting a new PC with even one SSD for your C:\ drive will make you very happy that you upgraded

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 17. 2015 23:12

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

[Post New]
Still working with Cyberlink support. What a joke. Multiple responses from different people requesting the same boiler plate information, already provided.

Installed patch on June 9th and have not been able to use my software since. Going back and forth with product support. Talking in circles...no resolution in sight.

I have the latest drivers.

Now they want error report in the event viewer general tab, which I gave them three times over the past week. Of course they don't tell me I am providing the wrong information?

Cache cleared. defraged hard drives.

Keep in mind that my PC worked fine editing these videos, dozens of them. Installed patch crash.

They want the event log. When the program freezes up. You get a little box you can type your email and send a report. It does not freeze and this window does NOT open. Total failure, as in crash, as in PC shuts down suddenly and without warning. Restart PC...It is not just the program locking up and closing the program.

Two weeks and no resolution with Product support. I am not impressed with Cyberlink. I don't see how my PC works fine on the same file types and even larger projects and then install a patch and total system failure. The answer is to buy a new PC? Don't understand that response?

I have no idea how to ask for help after two weeks of being run around in circles by Product support. And here on the forum, just buy a new PC.

Frustrated and ready to never own a PC, or smart phone again. Technology does NOT make my life better. Complete waste of time...

optodata
[Post New]
I'm sorry to hear that nothing has changed. I'd like to clarify that my reponse to your problem was not that you needed to get a new computer to solve this problem. You had suggested that it might be better to stop wasting time and just buy a new PC and I agreed that you'd have a better experience. If you'd like to try and get PD working on your current system we can keep going.

You've provided some new information here that might help uncover the problem. There are many levels of crashes, and the most typical ones cause PD to stop responding or crash in a way that allows Windows to continue running and display the CL Error Reporter window.

If your computer spontaneously reboots, we need to look at system-level issues because PD on its own can't cause anything like that significant a crash.

Your DxDiag log didn't show any evidence of that level of crash so I didn't suggest anything to check beyond PD and video drivers, but there are two diagnostic tests that I think you should now run. You may also choose to take your computer to a professional repair person and have them check everything out.

I think the most likely cause of a crash like this is a problem with your RAM. If you'd like to run the diagnostics, please follow the steps shown *here* and note that it may take many hours to fully test your system's memory. If problems are found, you'll need to replace some or all of your RAM and I'd actually suggest getting a total of 16GB rather than just replacing the 6GB that are currently installed.

The other step you can run is Windows System File Check which will verify and try to correct any problems with the core OS files ansd settings. Follow the steps listed in the 3rd paragraph of this *post* and let us know what the results are.

Hopefully you'll have the answer to the problem fairly soon!

YouTube/optodata

[Post New]
System found some corrupt files doing the sfc /scannow test. However, system unable to repair them.

I did update Nvidia 353.03

Is there a link for what specifications PC or laptop I should buy
optodata
[Post New]
If you have a DVD copy of your original Windows installation disc, you can boot from it and repair Windows. If you don't have it or if it's older than Service Pack 1, you'll need to download an ISO copy from Microsoft and burn it to DVD. You can search online for the steps needed. It's not very complicated because there are many tools that automate it, but it will take a few hours and you'll probably have to reinstall some programs.

That should fix the issues that SFC can't, but you'd still need to run the memoery diagnostic to see if your RAM is working properly.

If you decide to buy a new system, here are the *specs* that Cyberlink recommends for PD13. If you're getting a desktop, I'd like to see you get an SSD for your C: drive and 16GB of RAM and a GTX 960 video card. That will give you a very fast and powerful system that will give you a lot of bang for your buck.

YouTube/optodata

[Post New]
I did run the memory diagnostics. Blue screen, reboot...no report to share?

My stuff is in storage. Living in my RV while home is built.

Clearly the patch corrupted my PC and now I need to reinstall Windows and reload software which I do not have access to. That is another day...I have already wasted three days chasing ghost as directed by product support. Not to mention nearly two weeks wasted waiting for product support to respond.

In addition, I need to enter "Safe" mode and deal with issues. Issues I did not have until I downloaded the patch.

I do appreciate your attempt to help. Just frustrated with the giant black hole of wasted time.

And all of it is a shot in the dark. None of the proposed solutions for my PC are sure to correct the issue. As the issue has not been identified.
optodata
[Post New]
I know you're frustrated and I don't blame you for being upset about how much time it's taken and you still don't have a solution. That really sucks.

To be honest, I really don't think it was the patch that did this. You said it yourself here:
Quote: I uninstalled PowerDirector 13 and reinstalled. I have NOT reinstalled the patch, yet. Crashed again, pointing to a different issue?
It seems very likely that something also happened to go wrong with your computer at the same time you applyed the patch. Again, this really sucks but that would explain why your computer is crashing even when you don't have the PD patch installed.

As far as troubleshooting, we're not taking shots in the dark here. We're tracking down the issue(s) and we'll know with certainty what the cause is - what we probably won't know is how much time and money it may take to resolve everything and whether it's worth it to you to proceed.

Since you ran the memory diagnostic, please follow these *steps* to see the results. If they show a failure it's a slam dunk to get your computer repaired. If not, the best approach would be to get a copy of a Win7 ISO (a DVD image) free from Microsoft then burn it to a DVD and see if it can repair your current Windows setup.

If that isn't successful but your hardware is OK, you could do a full reinstall of Windows and everything should run perfectly, even with the new PD patch (or at least with the one before it, v2604).

I hope this gives you enough information to make a decision, and the forum's always here if you want advice or need to vent...

YouTube/optodata

[Post New]
Memory diagnostic test, no issues.
 Filename
Memory Diagnostic test.evtx
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
68 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
210 time(s)
optodata
[Post New]
OK. The good news is that your RAM doesn't seem to be the problem, and you should focus on getting your hands on a copy of Win7 Home Premium x64 directly from *Microsoft* so you could repair your OS installation.

One last thing you could do is to send over a couple more logs from your Event Viewer - ones from Windows logs\System and \Application. I hadn't ever seen the logs exported in .evtx format before, and I think those two would be really helpful in trying to determine what your computer was doing when it rebooted.

YouTube/optodata

[Post New]
The disk errors reported are not actually disk file problems but a tool error instead.

It is related to the windows update that offered you a free upgrade to windows 10.

It will be fixed in a future update.

Couple more logs? Results passed. Not sure what more I can send?

optodata
[Post New]
I'm not asking for the results of any specific tests. What I was looking for are the logs that your computer automatically records of everything it's doing because those logs may contain critical information about the cause(s) of the serious reboot crashes.

For example, if the problem was actually with a driver, like for your video card or a disk drive, the logs would show a failure of that driver even though the problem occurred when you were trying to work with PD. It may also show a particular component of PD, like a DLL, or even some other program that was running at the same time.

The point is that the detailed logs of what actually happened to your computer may be the best way to pin down what keeps killing your computer. I don't know if you've already sent those files to tech support, but we wouldn't have access to anything from them on the forum and posting them here is the best way to proceed if you want to keep going.

You'd just open Event Viewer then click on Windows logs, then Application. Right-click and choose Save All Events As... and then post the results, just like you did for the Memory Diagnostic results. Do the same thing for Windows logs, System and that will let us see what was going on in the most detail.

If you don't want to spend the extra time to do this, that's OK. I know this whole thing is a pain and it's really up to you to decide what the best approach is for moving forward: spend time on the logs; repair Windows or get a new machine. Each one has different costs and timeframes so let us know which way you'd like to go once you've thought it over.

YouTube/optodata

[Post New]
Is this what your looking for?

Thanks for helping!

Two more days and nothing from Product support. Once I paid for phone support and that was even worse support than the email support program. I will never waste my money on Cyberlink phone support again.
 Filename
Event log application.evtx
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
20548 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
130 time(s)
jcardana
Senior Contributor Location: USA-NM Joined: Aug 04, 2014 10:11 Messages: 650 Offline
[Post New]
I used to have various programs crashing when they dealt with large files. After many months I found that setting the "Page File" or "Virtual Memory" to a specific size helped.

Here's a task you may want to consider...

• Control Panel

• System

• Advanced System Settings

• Advanced Tab

• Performance Section - Settings Button

• Advanced Tab

• Virtual Memory Section - Change Button

• Deselect Automatically manage paging file size for all drives

• Paging file size for each drive section - Since you have more than one drive... We'll need to discuss how you use them.
    I suggest selecting a drive that has more than 12GB avail and not on a drive where you keep your video files.

• Select Custom Size

• Set Initial size (MB): to 9216

• Set Maximum size (MB): to 9216

• Click the Set button

• Click the OK button to close the "Virtual Memory" window

• Click the OK button to close the "Performance Options" window

• Click the OK button to close the "System Properties" window.

• The computer will need to restart, do so when you're ready

If you're unsure about making this change, let me know and I'll explain why.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 23. 2015 12:45

CyberPowerPC | Win7HP-64 | AMD FX-8320 3.5 Ghz | 8GB Mem | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB | WEI 5.9

My Video Editing Computer
| My DirectX Diagnostics

PowerDirector 15.0.2820.0 | PhotoDirector 7.0.7504.0 | AudioDirector 6.0.5902.0 | ColorDirector 4.0.4627.0 | Power2Go 9.0.2602.0

Sutter Hill SDA Church
| Anadrac_Organ_Works | My_Youtube_Channel
jcardana
Senior Contributor Location: USA-NM Joined: Aug 04, 2014 10:11 Messages: 650 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: ...I will never waste my money on Cyberlink phone support again.

I'm still waiting too... So far I've talked with three different people. CyberPowerPC | Win7HP-64 | AMD FX-8320 3.5 Ghz | 8GB Mem | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB | WEI 5.9

| My DirectX Diagnostics

PowerDirector 15.0.2820.0 | PhotoDirector 7.0.7504.0 | AudioDirector 6.0.5902.0 | ColorDirector 4.0.4627.0 | Power2Go 9.0.2602.0

Sutter Hill SDA Church
optodata
[Post New]
Quote: Is this what your looking for?
Yes! This is the System log and the first thing that jumped out at me is that it shows many hundreds of errors from Windows search index/catalog. This may be the issue that SFC detected but couldn't repair.

Have you tried turning off the disk indexing feature? Even if you want to use it, it's clearly not working now and here's a good place to *start*

The other strange thing about the log is that on 6/9, things started happening at 4:42AM and Microsoft Security Essentials had two significant crashes within 2 minutes, and then PDUWICA caused a 3rd serious crash at 4:45AM. That program seems to have something to do with "telemetry" and Windows error reporting (at least on my system), and this is really starting to look bad.

Whatever was going on with your computer at that time is where your problems are all stemming from, and if the clock was set correctly for your time zone, I bet you'd remember if you were installing the PD patch before 5 that morning.

My guess is that you were asleep and maybe something like a virus started messing with your machine. It then looks like someone logged off at 8:39AM that morning and nothing was recorded until 8:27AM on the following day. I don't see anything in this log about installing the PD patch (which is why I also asked for the Application logs), but to be honest, this is now really pointing towards a full reinstall of Windows, although trying to repair Windows from the DVD might be worth trying.

Again, it's your call whether to push through towards a fix (more time) or get a new machine and start fresh (more time + money). Sorry to be the bearer of such disappointing news. frown

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 23. 2015 13:11

YouTube/optodata

jcardana
[Post New]
Quote: My guess is that you were asleep and maybe something like a virus started messing with your machine. It then looks like someone logged off at 8:39AM that morning and nothing was recorded until 8:27AM on the following day.

I agree... Took a peak at the logs.

David... ignore my posts about the Page file... that's NOT your problem.

What I found un-nerving was the repeated signin, and searching that early in the am. CyberPowerPC | Win7HP-64 | AMD FX-8320 3.5 Ghz | 8GB Mem | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB | WEI 5.9

| My DirectX Diagnostics

Sutter Hill SDA Church
jcardana
[Post New]
I'd suggest https://www.malwarebytes.org/
There's a free version CyberPowerPC | Win7HP-64 | AMD FX-8320 3.5 Ghz | 8GB Mem | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB | WEI 5.9

| My DirectX Diagnostics

Sutter Hill SDA Church