Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I'm thinking of getting/building a new computer. input on specs using PD12U...
MartyGene1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 24, 2014 16:57 Messages: 40 Offline
[Post New]
I'm thinking of getting or building a new computer especially for video editing using PD12 Ultimate. Any suggestions on specs especially video cards, motherboards, and CPU's? The one I have now is adequate for using Adobe Premiere Elements 10 & 11 but I just bought PD12U so I want to optimize for it. I have had problems with Nvidia drivers as I have seen the many people have had so I wonder if I should stay away from Nvidia.
Thanks in advance and let the games begin
Jamon47 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 05, 2014 11:35 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I'm thinking of getting or building a new computer especially for video editing using PD12 Ultimate. Any suggestions on specs especially video cards, motherboards, and CPU's? The one I have now is adequate for using Adobe Premiere Elements 10 & 11 but I just bought PD12U so I want to optimize for it. I have had problems with Nvidia drivers as I have seen the many people have had so I wonder if I should stay away from Nvidia.
Thanks in advance and let the games begin

Few months ago I decided to replace my old 2 core laptop with a new one, one of the main application being video editing using PD12 Ultimate on AVCHD 1080p60 (28 Mb/s) clips shot with Sony RX100 and Sony HX9V cameras.

I finally purchased a 4th generation Intel 4 core HP Envy touchscreen laptop, 16G ROM, NVDIA GeForce GT 740M, 1TB and Win 8.1
(Cosco Canada specs: http://www.costco.ca/HP-Envy-Touchscreen-15-j173ca,-Bilingual-Notebook,-Intel%C2%AE-i7-4700MQ,-15.6-in-HD-LED.product.100099616.html )

Compared to my old laptop, it races through AVCHD 1080p60 rendering!

When rendering a typical video editing project (6 min duration, 25 clips, mostly straight cuts, few overlays, few transitions, audio volume adjustments, title and credits) the laptop takes typically between 1.0 and 1.2 times to render using SVRT. For example, it will take between 6.0 and 7.2 minutes to render a master file for a 6 min video editing project with this laptop.

BTW, no problems with the NVDIA card... yet!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 27. 2014 13:43

MartyGene1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
To Jamon 47:
That sounds pretty good. can you play the videos on the time line while editing without them stuttering? Trouble is I do mostly 2 and 3 camera HD shoots with Sony camcorders like yours and that does tax my system now and once I add some transitions it really slows down. Thanks for the feedback and info.
jmone
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Nov 26, 2010 00:05 Messages: 706 Offline
[Post New]
Keep in mind you want the 64-Bit version of the OS installed PD 64 Bit-Win10 64 Bit-32GB RAM-80TB HDD
Sony FX6 - 500Mbps 4k/50p AVC-I HLG
Canon XF400 - 150Mbps 4k/50p AVC
GoPro Hero6 Black
Pana HS700-28Mbps 1080/50p AVC (High@L4.2)
Canon HV20-HDV 25Mbps 16:9 1440x1080/25p MPEG
MartyGene1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Roger that on the 64 bit OS
Jamon47 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 05, 2014 11:35 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: To Jamon 47:
That sounds pretty good. can you play the videos on the time line while editing without them stuttering? Trouble is I do mostly 2 and 3 camera HD shoots with Sony camcorders like yours and that does tax my system now and once I add some transitions it really slows down. Thanks for the feedback and info.

From my own experience it seems that the limiting factor to playing the videos on the time line while editing without them stuttering is the display resolution I choose for the player. There are 5 levels to choose from, including: 1- Full HD ... 3- High Ress ... 5- Standard Def

When I choose Full HD display (1) they will often stutter. But when I choose High Ress (3) they play smoothly. I find High Ress to be fine for the type of editing I do.... YMMV!
Psalm91 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 29, 2009 22:43 Messages: 33 Offline
[Post New]
MartyGene1,

I just bought PD12 about 2 months ago (upgrade from 10) and also a new machine since I've recently started working on very large projects, it's a Dell XPS8700. It's a great machine, and to speed things up a bit more, I traded the HDD with an SSD (128GB) and kept the HDD for storing/editing the files.

I'm impressed with everything it's doing, though I do have one small issue, the familiar stutter issue mentioned here, however mine seems to be related to subtitles. I work on 25-35GB MP4 files and add (hundreds of) subtitles to them and edit the files in various places. I sometimes see a stutter here and there but it is short.

With how I have everything setup, I don't see any hardware limitations so (plenty of room to spare on everything, including the NVidia GeForce GTX 645 @ 1GB), based on your budget, this might be something worth looking at (see my specs below).