Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 12 choosing which file types to import
[Post New]
Basically, PD12 seems to be randomly choosing which file types it will import.

After I installed it, it would import ALL file types. Then, after no change to my computer or PowerDirector 12, it eventually decided to NOT import any MOV, MP4, TS, AVI or FLV files. I just get the wonderful "An error has occurred while importing the media file into the library. It may because the file is broken..." etc. I know for a fact there is nothing wrong with any of my video files.

Then after another no-change to my system or PowerDirector 12, it started import AVI and MP4 files, but still refuses to import MOV, FLV and TS (+M2TS) files. It doesn't seem to have ANY problems with WMV files, though. Those have always worked.

It seems the only way I can import any of the non-working file types is to have a video already saved into a project file. If I open a project which has a TS or MOV file already imported, it'll work fine. But trying to directly import the MOV and TS files do not work.

I have the latest version of QuickTime (7.7.4) installed from the Apple website and I have the latest version of the K-Lite Codec Pack (10.0.5) installed. PD12 is also up-to-date as well. I also have both PD10 and PD11 installed as well, as I use the different versions for different types of projects. As it stands, both PD10 and PD11 both import ALL file types without an error. PD12 is the only one with a problem importing videos.

Originally, my problem started with no error, but when you try to import a file, the Import File dialog box would appear, with the progress bar... but the progress would never start. It would just stall forever and nothing happened, no matter how long you left it.

After uninstalling and reinstalling everything to do with codecs, QuickTime and CyberLink, that's when I started to get the file import error.

I'm at a loss... I prefer PD12 over PD11. Currently, the older PD10 has never really been a problem for me (other than a few random crashes) but the newer and more up-to-date PD11 and PD12 have always caused me problems in the past.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas about PD12's decision to only import select file types, please let me know... I'm tearing my hair out over this.
[Thumb - Untitled.png]
 Filename
Untitled.png
[Disk]
 Description
All to known error
 Filesize
24 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
303 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 03. 2013 10:37

Dell XPS M1730
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Intel Core2Duo (T9500) @ 2.60GHz
nVidia 9800m GTX SLi x2, 1GbMb per core, 2Gb SLi
4Gb DDR2 (PC6400) RAM
750Gb Western Digital HDD
PD12 12.0.3403.0
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Are you aware of the issues related to the latest version of PD 12 and recent NVidia drivers? Perhaps they just can't work with the files while trying to open them.

Search above for the discussions and beta test for PD 12. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
[Post New]
Quote: Are you aware of the issues related to the latest version of PD 12 and recent NVidia drivers? Perhaps they just can't work with the files while trying to open them.

Search above for the discussions and beta test for PD 12.

Actually, no... first I've heard. So it's possibly related to the newest/current version of nVidia drivers? Well, mine are indeed up-to-date (331.82), so it could be that. But it's only affecting PD12 I assume, since PD10 and PD11 are unaffected.

I'll have a look for the discussions that you speak of. Thanks for the reply.

EDIT: I downloaded and installed the recent beta patch, 2327, and although PD12 no longer throws up the error, it's reverted back to showing the Importing Media... dialog, but never actually doing anything. It just stalls, forcing me to close PD12 via the Task Manager. I guess the beta still needs work, or I downgrade my video drivers.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 03. 2013 12:53

Dell XPS M1730
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
4Gb DDR2 (PC6400) RAM
PD12 12.0.3403.0
[Post New]
Just adding something to this thread, because I've had enough of PowerDirector 12.

Originally, my problem started with PD12 refusing to import any of the basic and most-used file types. After installing the 2327 update as advised in the reply post, the error changed but it still had the problem of importing media. It was said that the problems lie with nVidia graphics cards and the latest line of nVidia drivers.

I can call bullsh*t on this. A few months ago, I got a different laptop, a Dell latitude E5500 to replace the Dell XPS, as it need to repaired. This Dell does NOT have an nVidia graphics card, instead it has Mobile Intel 4 Series on-board graphics. A fr cry from anything nVidia related, I dare say.

Now, before using the Latitude, I did a complete install of Windows 7 Ultimate x64. And a clean install of PD12 (no other versions installed first) and guess what? I am having the EXACT SAME PROBLEMS as I did on the XPS. It just flat-out refuses to import file-types such as MP4, AVI, FLV and TS. ALL of which work perfectly well on PowerDirector 10, the oldest version I own. If that version can work, why can't PD12? Makes no sense. I've also updated it with the 2420 update... still rubbish. Have the most recent version of QuickTime installed... still rubbish.

So... it seems it matters not what video card/graphics you have, the conclusion is that PowerDirector 12 is rubbish. A broken, unfinished, untested piece of software that was released to the masses LONG before it should have. PowerDirector 10 and 11 work fine, no issues, they both import all types of video file with out getting stroppy. PowerDirector 12? Forget it... I'm NEVER using it again. The best I.. and you.. can do is wait for PowerDirector 13 and HOPE CyberLink have fixed whatever made PowerDirector 12 the worse version of PowerDirector ever.

Have nVidia? You're screwed.
Have Intel? You're screwed.
Paid for the software? You wasted your money... get a refund.

Now it has a DIFFERENT problem. I try to import a video, the Import Media.. gets to 100%.. then stops. Never moves, never finishes, never completed. Utter trash.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jan 16. 2014 17:11

Dell XPS M1730
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
4Gb DDR2 (PC6400) RAM
PD12 12.0.3403.0
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I suggest you contact CyberLink Technical Support and relay the replicated problem to them and ask if you can have a download link to obtain a fresh copy of PowerDirector 12. Link: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
I ask you:
1. Why are you the only one with this issue that has posted on the forum? No other appears on here to date - so to me it looks like you have a corrupt installation set up/file.
2. From whom did you obtain PowerDirector 12 from? Contact them directly.

You are rightly concerned that "something is not right" but from here it looks to be one of two things, 1. Your computer* or 2. The software.

Download anew and see if that helps.

*You appear to have eliminated that... but maybe the issue is the way you set up your computers and whether you allow PDR12 to access the internet to confirm the use of specific files/codecs.

None of us have the answer for you - we're just guessing from the information you are providing us with.

Dafydd

Edit: REL Dell XPS M1730
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Intel Core2Duo @ 2.40GHz
nVidia 8800m GTX SLi x2, 512Mb per core, 1Gb SLi
4Gb DDR2 (PC6400) RAM
PD11 11.0.0.3026

The computer specifications you have given in your forum signature are below the minimum setting for HD editing on a 64bit set up. You haven't provided the latest computer spec you are using. It is little wonder your computer cant cope with the demands you are placing on it!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 17. 2014 04:32

[Post New]
1. Well.. I really wish I knew why I seem to the be only one having this issue. PD12 USED to work fine, when used on the XPS. It has never worked on Latitude.

2. I obtained PowerDirector 12 from the CyberLink website, and of course a digital download.

I could understand if it worked on one laptop and not another, meaning the installation or laptop itself could be at fault. But to have the same issue on two laptops with completely different hardware specs? Just seems a little 'not normal'.

As for the specs, the Latitude has identical hardware to the XPS, except the Intel Mobile 4 Series graphics. It has the same RAM and CPU from the XPS, as well as the HDD and same version of Windows. The XPS and Latitude both run PD10 and PD11 without a single problem. It doesn't even struggle.

But surely if the laptop(s) didn't meet the requirements for HD video editing, the software would still be able to at least IMPORT the video files in to the library, right?

Like I said, PD12 USED to work on the XPS perfectly well. It ran fast, wasn't sluggish, rendering was nice and quick, then all of a sudden, it stopped. And no amounts of uninstalling or reinstalling has helped. It always seems to have the same problem, where it refuses to import ANY file type. The Import Media just hangs, and never moves to even 1%. This somewhat tells me a codec problem, but as PD10 and PD11 work fine, this also tells me it's NOT a codec problem.

Thanks for the reply though. I'll keep at it and see what can be done. Dell XPS M1730
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
4Gb DDR2 (PC6400) RAM
PD12 12.0.3403.0
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
See guide, Part A & B and can you provide the information requested please? http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/29701.page Diagnostic data is important - provide the information for both PC's please.
I'd like to dot some of the missing "i's" and see if we can at least get you pointed in a better direction.
Dafydd
[Post New]
Well, I decided to try this once more, before going through the diagnostic process.

I used a program called Revo Uninstaller Pro to uninstall PowerDirector 12 completely... all files, directories and registry entries were removed, making it as if it had never been installed.

After doing all that, I installed PD12, and after that I installed the latest update. Tried to import a .TS file and lo and behold, the damn thing worked... and is still working.

I guess it was a 'corrupt' installation, even though I had done nothing different the first time it was installed.

So I guess it's solved, for now. I can only assume it MAY do this again when I install it on the XPS once it's repaired, but I do know that was most likely due to the nVidia driver incompatibility.

So.. thanks to all for the help. Finger crossed it doesn't reoccur. Dell XPS M1730
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
4Gb DDR2 (PC6400) RAM
PD12 12.0.3403.0