Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Dragging clips less than a second
Jim5519 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Toronto, Canada Joined: Jun 24, 2012 18:54 Messages: 35 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Folks, I am working on another music video again and I need to be much more precise in lining up different clips with other clips right on the beats. I have read about dragging out the timeline as far as it will go to get frame rate etc. but even when I do this I am still only able to drag clips from one 'second' to the next. Is there a way to drag a clip to the other 10 marks that are on the timeline in between the seconds so that I could line up at say 40 seconds and a half instead of either 40 seconds or 41 seconds. If not why do they even have the extra marks between the seconds. Thanks for any help you can send my way.
Jim Windows 7 64-bit, 32 GB Ram, Asus P9X79WS MB, Intel Core i7 3820 Quad core CPU, Asus ENGTX 570 Video Card, WD VelociRapter 600GB 10,000 rpm OS drive, WD Cavier Green 1TB Sata 6.0 storage drive. Panasonic PVGS400 mini DV camcorder, Power Director 10
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Most likely your zoomed up view is frames, not seconds, and in PD12 they added 1/10 of frames, 10 tick marks between frames, maybe this is your reference. (hrs;min;sec;frames) is the timecode. These partial frames, (10 ticks) can be used to move audio only. Somewhere in the PD12 propaganda was a feature for better audio alignment, maybe it's this. So if ~30 fps timeline and now and 10 ticks between, audio alignment of ~.003 seconds vs video alignment of 1/30, ~.03 seconds.

It does add some issues, for instance, in clip mode if audio is selected, the "Home" key does not go the to beginning of the real clip if you have moved it a fraction frame, it goes to the nearest frame. Same effect for the "End" key. Likewise you can not use the frame advance to go to the beginning of the audio clip a frame at a time as it's not positioned at a frame.

If this fractional frame change in audio is adequately positioned in a rendered product, I'm not sure, I have not verified with any clapper tests. Maybe it just messes up the audio/video synch.

Maybe these pics will help understanding with the Nature clip and audio extracted from Nature clip.

Jeff
[Thumb - audio movement.png]
 Filename
audio movement.png
[Disk]
 Description
1/10 frame audio movement
 Filesize
864 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
119 time(s)
[Thumb - audio home.png]
 Filename
audio home.png
[Disk]
 Description
"Home" key clip mode audio
 Filesize
852 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
84 time(s)
[Thumb - video movement.png]
 Filename
video movement.png
[Disk]
 Description
1 frame video movement
 Filesize
890 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
111 time(s)
Jim5519 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Toronto, Canada Joined: Jun 24, 2012 18:54 Messages: 35 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks JL, I guess I'll have to find a way to make this work with the info you have given to me. I may have to try and move the audio instead of the video and see what happens. Thanks for replying
Jim Windows 7 64-bit, 32 GB Ram, Asus P9X79WS MB, Intel Core i7 3820 Quad core CPU, Asus ENGTX 570 Video Card, WD VelociRapter 600GB 10,000 rpm OS drive, WD Cavier Green 1TB Sata 6.0 storage drive. Panasonic PVGS400 mini DV camcorder, Power Director 10