Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
managing movie clips
Geneva [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 02, 2007 16:49 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
How is the best way to manage your clips? I am wanting to take clips from years 1976 to 2008 of each of my children and save likewise for a movie that is just about each individual childs life. Of course I have many hours of video in my camcorder and have been importing and splitting and saving but the thought occurred to me that I will likely run out of memory on my computer and was thinking I should buy an external hard drive for my clips, photos, music etc.
Is the the correct solution or is there a better way? I would love any input you have on this situation.

Thank you in advance for your input.

geneva
Barry
Senior Member Location: N Attleboro, MA Joined: Jul 13, 2006 19:57 Messages: 295 Offline
[Post New]
In my opinion, an external hard drive is essential. Portable hard drives are very large now. What I do is put a velcro strip on my laptop lid, and on the ext hard drive. The ext drive hangs nicely on the lid and I can still be mobile, yet have an extra couple of hundred gb.
Either way, an external hard drive is the safest way to store a lifetime of memories, and back up ALL your info.
Online storage sites are another answer, but have an annual fee.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 10. 2008 14:43

Join/SignUp to SeeMyWorldOnVideo. We're PowerDirector Video Editors. Are you a member? - JOIN TODAY!
Geneva [Avatar]
[Post New]
So will drag and drop work....meaning will it actually copy the clip or do I need to save the clip to the xternal hard drive? and then import it back into PD6. Not sure how the paths of PD6 works.
Also how big of external should I get? I'm looking at Lacie 1Tb hispeed usb drive.
thank you again
geneva
armano [Avatar]
Newbie Location: El Salvador Joined: Jan 01, 2007 10:18 Messages: 38 Offline
[Post New]
I have a Lacie external HD that I bought about 3 years ago (160 GB). It has become my primary drive when it comes to images, music and video. I store everything there, it works like a charm when accesing files from PD. I should add that I don't work for Lacie or Pd for that matter, lol, and that this is not a commercial. I believe Lacie is an european company. No more error messages!
No more crashes!
Great looking videos!!
Geneva [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes but I'm trying to understand how to save it to external drive. Not sure how PD6 paths work.

When I save the clip do I save it directly to the external hard drive or do I save it to my computer and then drag to hard drive.

Because I would like to get my clips and save them to the xternal drive and then erase it from my computer.

Not sure I'm explaining it correctly.

thanks for your help

geneva
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Geneva,

External Hard Drives are reasonably cheap to buy and with the USB2 connection a simple and effective way to store and to transfer from media files.

In PD6 you can Export a whole project and select where on your PC (Hard Drives) you want to store the information. The Export of the information will store every media file used to create the project.

Open PD6 with project in the time-line
File > Export > Pack Project Materials
Select the Hard Drive you want to save it to.
Create a new folder and save.

As for saving to a portable Hard Drive - just use Copy and Paste to transfer files. When creating a finished project (mpeg files for example) you can select to save to the portable or any location.

Open PD6
Select Edit (NOT the PD6 video editing section) > Preferences > File tab and alter the location of where you source media from and produce/save to > Import and Export directory.

I hope the additional information helps

Dafydd

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 11. 2008 04:40

Barry
Senior Member Location: N Attleboro, MA Joined: Jul 13, 2006 19:57 Messages: 295 Offline
[Post New]
Dafydd,
does PPMat export the files, or copies of them? Also, does it create/alter the Project File in case one might wish to do just ONE MORE EDIT?
BG Join/SignUp to SeeMyWorldOnVideo. We're PowerDirector Video Editors. Are you a member? - JOIN TODAY!
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Barry,

I can answer that one for you, and get in before Dafydd.

I PPM projects all the time for transfer between desktop and laptop, it copies the file, and yes you can continue editing when unpacked

Regards

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
Geneva [Avatar]
[Post New]
Man o man u fellas R so smart. I wish I had a day to scan your brains and could retain everything in them. R better yet...scan your brains and save the info into my external hard drive. LOL....~_~

Thank you all so very much...And now I'm off to create and save!!!!

geneva
~_~

PS: Did I tell ya all that u R AWESOME!!!!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
PS: Did I tell ya all that u R AWESOME!!!!

Steady girl steady....

I'm trying to figure out a way to hide your last posting from Armano, Barry and Robert 'cos they might not be able to cope ... they'll need to recover from the "u R AWESOME!!!!" moment...shock

Dafydd

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 11. 2008 15:01

Barry
[Post New]
Too late!
So many women, so little time... Join/SignUp to SeeMyWorldOnVideo. We're PowerDirector Video Editors. Are you a member? - JOIN TODAY!