Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector won't import media file (.MOV)
VanHee [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 28, 2006 20:51 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
I just bought a new still camera (Kodak Z812 IS) that also takes 720p videos in Quicktime MPEG4 format with file extension .MOV

Trying to import the files into PowerDirector produces an error and aborts. If I convert the files to windows media (.wmv) first, it imports without problems.

Is there a fix for this?
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi VanHee,

According to the supported formats list,PD6 should be able to import .MOV Quicktime files, have you tried downloading to your hard drive first, then import into PD6

Regards

Robert

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 15. 2007 23:48

Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
armano [Avatar]
Newbie Location: El Salvador Joined: Jan 01, 2007 10:18 Messages: 38 Offline
[Post New]
I never had a problem importing mpeg4 or QT into PD5 or PD6, like Robert points out, maybe the files are not in the hard drive yet(althought, if she is conterting them to wmv they should be in the hard drive). Try coneccting the camera to your computer and "capture" the video with PD.
No more error messages!
No more crashes!
Great looking videos!!
VanHee [Avatar]
[Post New]
I agree that the specs say I should be able to import MOV files. See:
http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/products/compare_4_ENU.html
However, it doesn't work for me. I'm definately working from a hard-drive copy of the file. Kodak claims the camera will not function as a webcam.

I've also recently lost my ability to convert the MOV files to WMV as my converter crashes when I try. I've tried other converters, most don't have the CODECs for converting to 720p. One that showes promise is the AVS Video Converter. I tried several AVI formats and none of them import either. The only thing I have found that sorta works consistantly is MPEG2. The problem I ran into there is that it downsized the fame size even though it claims to preserve it as original.

LeRoy
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi LeRoy,

Please create a small - less than 10mb mov file and send it to me (I'll send you a PM). This is about a second of two - nothing more is needed. You must bring the video onto your hard drive and not pass it through any editing program.

I'll explain why in the PM.

Dafydd
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi LeRoy,

Thank you for the MOV file.

I was able to play the file in PowerDirector 6 - it played in the Menu Library and in the time-line.

It doesn't appear to be a codec issue.

The QT program had NOT been updated in the testing computer.

Dafydd
VanHee [Avatar]
[Post New]
That's good information. Thank you for testing the file.

As a result, I uninstalled PowerDirector 6 and reinstalled it. It now works correctly.

LeRoy