Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
use of 60p?
BillHansen [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jan 03, 2012 12:43 Messages: 178 Offline
[Post New]
Another starkly Noob question - but I'm not going to learn if I don't ask questions -

PD 10 gives me the option to produce H.264 at 60p, though I notice that PD's default seems to be 60i. I don't see an option to burn in 60p, only in 60i or 24p. That seems to defeat the purpose of producing in 60p. Is there in fact a way to burn in 60p - and if there really is no option to burn in 60p, why is that?

Thanks - Bill Hansen Bill Hansen
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bill,
I would use 60p (59.97fps) to retain the quality of my Mp4 video. I also play my video on a TV using a USB interface.

Burning/Creating a Disc has to be to the specifications laid out for DVD and Bluray. Producing a file doesn't have that restriction

I might need to edit this .... hope it makes sense and is just my opinion.

Dafydd
BillHansen [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd -

I understand what you say, and of course I know the difference between rendering/producing and burning the disc. I am able to produce in 60p, but I do not see an option to burn AVCHD in 60p, which is what I want to do. Videos at 60i are good, but I don't see why PD would allow me to render (produce) at 60p and then not allow the final video to be burned at 60p, which is what I want to do.

FWIW - of course there are several options to burn at 60i and 24p - I see those - but I don't see an option for 60p.

So - is there an option to burn AVCHD at 60p in PD 10? If there is one, how do I access it? In the Create Disc/AVCHD page there are several 60i options and 24p options, but I don't see 60p.

Bill

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 13. 2012 05:11

Bill Hansen
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I am not absolutely certain, but I believe 60p was only recently added to the AVCHD disc standard. PD must adhere to the official disc standards for best compatibility, but when producing individual video, that is not necessary, so 60p may be the best video format for your video, but it may not work on the disc. Different formats for different purposes.

Maybe it will be available in future updates. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
BillHansen [Avatar]
[Post New]
Jaime-esque - Thanks for that answer. Just to be sure I've understood correctly - there's no way to burn in 60p, using PD10. Doesn't it follow, then, that there's no point in rendering in 60p? Just let PD render in its 60i default and follow through with burning at 60i?

Omitting the ability to burn at 60p seems a shame, but I wonder - would the difference (between burning at 60i and burning at 60p) even be noticeable during playback? Bill Hansen
[Post New]
This is something I also do not understand why produce and try and burn in 60p when any burned DVD that you play on your TV will only work when burned at or formatted at I believe 29 p.
Please correct me if I am wrong as I believe this is correct.
So what is the point of 60p ??
BillHansen [Avatar]
[Post New]
Abslayer - I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who's puzzled by the inability to burn at 60p.

For what it's worth, I've rendered several short videos at 60i and others at 60p, burned them at 1920X1080 60i, and they play well on my more powerful desktop computer, and also on the TV.

Of course, computers which can't handle AVCHD cannot play those videos. To play a video on my laptop, which is old and underpowered, I can still render at 60i or 60p, but I must burn it as a "DVD". Using the "DVD HQ" choice in the Produce page, the videos come out fairly well - nowhere near as good as AVCHDs, but with a lot of care in processing/editing, they can be acceptable.

I have not used the 24p options in PD 10.

Bill Bill Hansen
pjc3
Senior Member Location: Australia Joined: May 29, 2010 19:33 Messages: 247 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: This is something I also do not understand why produce and try and burn in 60p when any burned DVD that you play on your TV will only work when burned at or formatted at I believe 29 p.

Well, I will correct you.

Recently AVCHD 2.0 has been released which allows for 1080p60 playback. Although the spec is designed primarily for solid state media, recent release Bluray players playback AVCHD 2.0 from DVD media.

Quote:

I have been rendering to 1080p60 ever since I got my first 1080p60 camcorder but have never burnt a bluray so it is very necessary to have the ability to render within the programme.

Panasonic SD9, Panasonic TM700, Panasonic SD600, GoPro HD Hero.
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]

Not everyone who produces a video intends it for burning to disc. I have produced hundreds of videos and very rarely create a DVD or Blu-Ray. Choice of a format depends on many variables and PD gives us options to satisfy most situations. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
BillHansen [Avatar]
[Post New]
Jaime-esque - But don't you have to burn it to something - disc, HD, thumb drive - in order to view it? And if you're not going to view it, why produce/render it at all?

I'm content that there is no way to burn in 60p, and (I didn't know this) that there's no way to view 60p on "ordinary" computers or TVs at present - I'm just a little puzzled that the option to render in 60p is there, if it can't be used for anything. Bill Hansen
BillHansen [Avatar]
[Post New]
Jaime-esque - But don't you have to burn it somewhere,either to disc or to the computer's HD or a thum in order to view it? And if you're not going to view it, what's the point of producing/rendering it? Bill Hansen
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: This is something I also do not understand why produce and try and burn in 60p when any burned DVD that you play on your TV will only work when burned at or formatted at I believe 29 p.

Well, I will correct you.

AB Sorry checked TV only plays video at 29 FPS

Recently AVCHD 2.0 has been released which allows for 1080p60 playback. Although the spec is designed primarily for solid state media, recent release Bluray players playback AVCHD 2.0 from DVD media.

Quote:

I have been rendering to 1080p60 ever since I got my first 1080p60 camcorder but have never burnt a bluray so it is very necessary to have the ability to render within the programme.

AB yes you can render to 1080p60 however only point of 60p is that you can play it on your PC however no real point to it as I read somewhere the human eye can not see the difference between 60 p and 30 p
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
I render to 59.94fps and have no problems playing on a TV.

It is a matter of choice, I retain the quality of the original footage.

Dafydd

Edited fps from 7 to 4.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 15. 2012 15:26

BillHansen [Avatar]
[Post New]

Quote: I render to 59.97fps and have no problems playing on a TV.

How do you do that with PD10? That was my original question when I posted this thread - how could I burn at 60p using PD10.... So - is that something I could do - and if so, where in PD 10 is the option to do that?

Or have you set up a custom burn profile? (I am guessing that setting up a custom burn profile would be beyond my abilities, but it would be nice to know that it could be done.)
Bill Hansen
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Bill,
I did state how I play my 59.94 HD video in my first reply.

Please view the attached image. You will see Intelligent SVRT calls up a Custom Template I made previously using the method indicated. SVRT then becomes active for the mp4 file I'm rendering.

Dafydd
[Thumb - sdukpd10-20117-pd686.png]
 Filename
sdukpd10-20117-pd686.png
[Disk]
 Description
SVRT active for mp4, 59.94fps
 Filesize
14 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1024 time(s)
[Thumb - sdukpd10-20117-pd685a.png]
 Filename
sdukpd10-20117-pd685a.png
[Disk]
 Description
Intelligent SVRT, custom profile
 Filesize
261 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1056 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Mar 15. 2012 15:22

BillHansen [Avatar]
[Post New]
Aha! Thanks for the visual road map of how this option is found. I went back to your original reply, and I was (and am) just not knoweldgeable enough to follow it. In fact I've been keeping SVRT turned off, because of some early troubles which may have been complicated by SVRT. But I can follow the procedure as you've outlined it in this latest post. Thank you very much! Bill Hansen
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Bill,
One can play video on a TV without having to burn a DVD or BluRay. About 3-4 years ago an editor (Bif) posted on the PD forums information about TV interfaces by Western Digital (via RCA or HDMI cable connections) which had a USB connection for portable devices (SDD and HDD). I used one of these WD TV gadgets/box interface to connect my HD video. Today I have a direct feed USB connection on one TV and the other has the WD TV connecting device.

I can play HD video and retain the crisp quality of 59.94 fps.

I hope that explains everything for you.

Dafydd

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 16. 2012 06:02

pjc3
Senior Member Location: Australia Joined: May 29, 2010 19:33 Messages: 247 Offline
[Post New]
Dafydd, your patience is worthy of comment! Panasonic SD9, Panasonic TM700, Panasonic SD600, GoPro HD Hero.