Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
What's happened to my videos?
[Post New]
Hi,

My videos were looking great for for a bit..I've uploaded at least a half dozen to my Shutterstock account, but the most recent videos are awful after being rendered. They all have some sort of "shimmering" going on ..it's the only way I can describe them. I've not done anything different with them. All have been edited in PD9, mostly just cutting them to time, then rendered to .mov (HD 1080) from .mts.

I've an example of the "shimmering" on a video I just uploaded to YouTube at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULacdiaN0Mw To see the shimmering effect I'm talking about, look at the land rather then the moving water

Can anyone help me figure out why it's doing this in the most recent rendered vids and wasn't there in renderings done just a week or so ago? The vids are all great when viewed through Windows Viewer before being rendered to .mov. All my other vids were also rendered to .mov and I've had no problem with any of them. I use .mov because it's the only format the microstock site, Pond5, accepts.

Same software, same hardware...nothing new that I know of.....

Thanks for any help you can give.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 18. 2012 02:16

Dustie
I'm still working on it....
[Post New]
Just produced twice more, each in a different format and both those produced well. That tells me it's something to do with the .mov format. So is the problem with PD9 or with Quicktime? I don't recall making any manual changes to the program, but maybe I should try resetting the program to factory defaults if I can figure out how? I'm giving it a try... Dustie
[Post New]
Can't figure out how to rest to factory specs... giving up for tonight. This nightowl is getting a headache. Dustie
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Nightowl -

Your camera records (I think) AVCHD & spits out .mts files... yes? Why are you rendering as .MOV? Why not stick with the original format?

Sorry... I must have skipped over the Pond5 bit

I agree - whatever is happening to the video in processing or in YouTube is ghastly.

I also know this is not any kind of explanation for the fact that all was going well - then it wasn't!

Have you tried taking a clip from your camera - producing it in the same format & profile - then uploading it?

Don't lose sleep over it - there's probably a simple solution.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 18. 2012 05:53

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
How does the .MOV look on your computer before you upload it to POND5?

If it looks OK on your computer, maybe something gone wrong at the site.

Have you tried to render without Hardware Acceleration?

The video looks like there is some else showing through, like some kind of noise.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Ynot, yes, sorry...AVCHD to .mts. I record directly to SD card and did copy the vids direct to the computer before taking them into PD9. Originally I tried transferring to my External Hard Drive, which, thanks to you guys, I discovered didn't work. When I began transferring them direct to the computer they worked perfectly. I have a half dozen nice videos, all .mov and and all accepted at Shutterstock ( http://footage.shutterstock.com/gallery/Dustie-319180/ )

All but the polar bear were done within in the last two weeks, and all done the same way I'm trying to do them now. They are all crystal clear and free of shimmer.

Today I took the camcorder outside and made a couple 15 sec. vids and then loaded them to PD9 direct from the card like you suggested, ynot. Sadly, after rendering, both still had the shimmer when I went back to the edit page and viewed the rendered .mov file.

I then tried rendering one of the short vids in each format using the original vid from the card each time. Although a couple gave pretty low quality resolution, the other's were perfect and there was no shimmer on any. So it's only the .mov format that's doing it, and that's exactly the format I need.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carl, I've not actually uploaded any of these shimmer vids, other then the example on youtube so you guys can see what it's doing. So it's happening on my computer, and in PowerDirector9. The shimmer is coming directly from the rendering in PD9. I add the video to the library from the card, then drag it to the timeline, edit if needed (the 12 sec vids had no edits) click Produce and am taken to the Render page. Once on the render page I choose .mov as the format I want to render to and click the green start button.

When this last one was done rendering, I played it in the preview window on the render page before I clicked the link that returned me to the Edit page, just to check it. There was no shimmer..it was crystal clear. Then I click the link on the left that says Return to Edit page.

In the edit page I made sure my newly produced movie was highlighted and clicked play in the preview window. That is the first time my picture perfect video does the shimmer thing. So it's happening when the file is transferred back to the edit page after it's rendered.

I though about the Hardware accelerator. I had turned ti off since it was causing PD9 to run erratically and crash. Since it was the only change I'd made to the program I tried turning it back on and rendering a video to see if turning it off made the shimmer, but nope, it still shimmered, so I turned it back off.

I'm totally stumped...anymore ideas or suggestions?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 18. 2012 14:02

Dustie
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I suppose you have checked for the latest Video Driver and the latest Quicktime.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Yes, both are the latest updates.

It's pond 5 that requires the .mov formats. So until I can figure out why my vids are getting that shimmery layer, I'll just have to limit my uploads to Shutterstock. I've always rendered in .mov, so what format should I choose now. What would be the most useful to someone who might be purchasing video clips for their own projects? Dustie
pjc3
Senior Member Location: Australia Joined: May 29, 2010 19:33 Messages: 247 Offline
[Post New]
Do you have MediaInfo installed on your PC? Panasonic SD9, Panasonic TM700, Panasonic SD600, GoPro HD Hero.
pjc3
Senior Member Location: Australia Joined: May 29, 2010 19:33 Messages: 247 Offline
[Post New]
OMG!! I just looked at your account on Shutterstock. Can you really sell 45secs of footage for $79! Panasonic SD9, Panasonic TM700, Panasonic SD600, GoPro HD Hero.
[Post New]
PJ...don't know, just getting started and haven't sold anything yet. I've been selling stills on shutterstock for a couple of years and bring in a bit of extra income that way, but just decided to give video a go since you can make more that way.

If you have that 45 second clip someone needs to finish off or enhance their professional project, I suspect they would be willing to pay 79.00 for it. Next time you watch a movie, watch for the "mini" clips. Some are as short as 10 seconds or so. Say there's a knock at the door (shoot to a neighbors dog barking) or a bad guy with a gun (shoot to a hissing cat), or a clap of thunder (shoot to a flash of lightning)..etc, etc, etc. Rather then pay a videotographer big bucks and tie him up for hours to find the clips you need, it's more cost effective to turn to sources that offer stock video.

Nice thing is your videos still belong to you. You aren't selling the copyright, only license to use.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 19. 2012 11:25

Dustie
[Post New]
Do me a favor...if you decide to sign up on Shutterstock, it would be great if you use my referral code link below. It won't affect you but it will give me a tiny percentage of anything you sell for having referred you. ; Thanks!

http://submit.shutterstock.com/?ref=319180

Pond5.com is also another great microstock site that accepts video (and also audio) clips.

I'm just getting started with video there (they only accept video in .mov format), but I've been selling audio clips pretty well. I use PD9's Wave Editor to make the audio clips by separating the clips from the video. So each Video can be submitted as a video with sound, and as audio clip if the sound track is interesting.

I'm not making a fortune in microstock but having the incentive to make money has helped me push myself to become better at what I'm doing. If I go back before I joined Microstock I can see that, at best, my photography was average and my video skills were very amateurish. I've still a long ways to go, but the improvements are all thanks to having joined Shutterstock and Pond5. Then there's the added benefit of being able to pocket a bit of money to help defray the costs of this hobby.

Here's my affiliate link to sign up with Pond5. http://www.pond5.com/index.php?ref=AylorDraw if you decide to sign up. I'll be glad to answer any questions you might have about it. It really is fun.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Feb 19. 2012 13:06

Dustie
[Post New]
Are there no more suggestions as to why my vids might be "shimmering" after being rendered to .mov format in PD9?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 19. 2012 15:21

Dustie
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Are there no more suggestions as to why my vids might be "shimmering" after being rendered to .mov format in PD9?

If it were me I would post a 5 to 10 second sample clip and attach it to your post so other members here in the forum could download it and test it in PD9 rendering to a movie file. Just make sure that it is the raw unedited footage from your camera. At least if we experience the same type of output we might be able to offer a solution.

Sorry if I missed where you have already posted a sample file.

Best,

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
[Post New]
Good idea Capn Kevin...how do I post a clip?

Thanks! Dustie
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Just select "post reply" then look for the Blue colored attachment button, click on it, then click on the "browse" button, then navigate to your 5-10 second sample video file, then click the "submit" button.

The file will upload.

Let us know if you have any trouble.

Kevin
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
I would also suggest....

Render this same 5-10 sample file to the mov format in PD9 and I imagine it will have the shimmer, just confirm on your system that it does have the shimmer problem before you upload it. Now also attach this in your post in addition to the original footage with the method I described above. This will be important to see the before(original) and after(shimmer) for comparison.

Then we can isolate whether the produced file also has the shimmer when we play it back on our systems and have the necessary original footage to attempt to reproduce the problem on various setups.

It will save a lot of time and guessing.

Looking forward to working with your footage.

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 19. 2012 18:27

[Post New]
Ok..here is the clip directly from the Camcorder card. Meet JT, so named because she was rescued at the Joplin Tornado Humane Society event where they were able to replace 745 dogs and cats who were unclaimed after the devastating tonado that destroyed much of Joplin, Mo. She's a keeper, that's for sure.

Next I'll attach the same clip after rendering with PD9 to .mov format.
 Filename
00121.MTS
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
19914 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
227 time(s)
Dustie
[Post New]
Rendered JT .mov format
 Filename
Produce.mov
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
13526 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
239 time(s)
Dustie
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
If it was up to me I'd suggest producing in native recording format of your video to preserve as much quality as you can.

However, if you want to produce to the mov container and reduced bitrate, then I'd probably modify your "Key frame" via a custom profile. Key Frames approx every 300 frames is a rough general rule, so for this a key frame every 10 seconds. If you set this for every 1 second, or 30 frames apart, you may see noticeable pulsing in the quality, probably the shimmering effect you mention. The value of 10 should clear up most of the pulsing in the quality you are seeing, maybe give it a try and see if it helps with your footage.

I don't do much mov so someone else may have a better answer for your footage.

Jeff
[Thumb - quicktime.png]
 Filename
quicktime.png
[Disk]
 Description
Key frame setting
 Filesize
1750 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
267 time(s)