Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Video freezes while the audio plays in timeline and MP4 output file
Fisher2223 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Eastern Oregon, USA Joined: Dec 29, 2011 13:41 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Great stuff, Guys. Thanks.

First off, my mistake. I'm running Vista on this computer.

I've attached the Windows Experience results. Are they as bad as I think? Any ideas on how to increase them?

I adjusted the preview quality. Thanks Carl312. (Tough to miss that button.) Still catching as before.

It seems strange to me that the CPU is running at 50% (give or take) when all I have done is open PD10 and opened my movie file. The movie is not previewing/running.

Has anyone looked at the log files for ricm and myself? As far as I can tell my computer meets the minimum requirements for PD10.

Thanks again.

[Thumb - Experience.jpg]
 Filename
Experience.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
111 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
383 time(s)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Fisher2223 -

Yes - the attachment you posted confirms the weakness of your GPU. Until you can upgrade it, it will continue to make your editing more challenging than necessary.

Here's your GPU on a benchmark chart http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=GeForce+6150SE+nForce+430

Here it is beside some GPUs other PD10 users run (brace yourself before you click this!) http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+6150SE+nForce+430

You'll notice than the minimum requirements for PD10 very much depend on what you're doing with it. If you're only making SD slideshows you don't need as much grunt as someone who's using HD video in complex projects. That aside, "minimum" requirements are just minimums. It means PD will work... it doesn't say how well!

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 22. 2012 01:46

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Fisher2223 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Eastern Oregon, USA Joined: Dec 29, 2011 13:41 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]

Ouch.

Thanks, Tony, for those charts. Puts things in perspective.

I'll check into an upgrade on the video card tomorrow.

Stay tuned and I will report (by "report" I mean ask more questions, ha) as things progress.

Thanks Everyone.
Graeme1946 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 15, 2008 17:51 Messages: 46 Offline
[Post New]
Fisher 2223. Hi Im glad you tried Windows experience index, with a base results of 3 is not good, but putting a video card upgrade, like i did( nvidea GTX 580)which is on top of the list you received ,will improve the stability, to the extent of the next lowest base score which is your processor 5.5 which i think is not high enough for serious HD editing it is never ending and costs dollars. Be careful when buying a video card the GTX 580 needed a minimum power source of 750 watts so i had to upgrade the power box , the total cost $650 Australian dollars. With my computer i can edit AVCHD in preview setting of full HD with no freezing or jerkiness for the first time, exept for the first 4 seconds of a 22gig in the timeline.The GTX580 is a over kill I would settle for 560 or 570 unless you are in 3D. Graeme
kingsmeadow
Senior Member Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Dec 06, 2011 11:52 Messages: 179 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks Kingsmeadow. Pretty easy.
Interesting results. I would be interested to see if you guys are getting something similar.
When no programs are running my CPU is running about 2-5%. When I open PD10 and my movie, but it is not running, it jumps to a pretty consistent 50-55%. Once the movie is being previewed, but on pause, it is hovering around 75%. When the movie is running it runs between 75 and 100%. When it hits 100% it begins to skip and then freeze. This happens not only on transitions, but more often than not. There is always a spike as the next clip begins.
Something else that is interesting is that some clips require more CPU usage than others. A few clips can run at 75% while others spike and push the usage up to 85-90%. These are the problem clips, of course.
I tried pausing the movie here and there when the usage spiked to see if I could stop the freeze. Maybe the CPU could catch up. Nope. Didn't work.

I just did a test...
With just the operating system running my CPU says 2%

With PD10 open 2%

PD loaded with a 17Gbyte video,,not running yet 2%

Producing an MPEG4 with hardware video encoder and preview 35%

Producing an MPEG4 without hardware encoding and preview 99%

I think this could explain why some folk with a low spec GPU are having problems with PD10. Intel Core i7 3770K 3.6 Ghz,
GTX 680, 2 X Benq23 3D monitors,
6G DDR3, Win 7 64, Win 10 (Insider) 64
PCIE SSD, Intel Sata SSD 2 500 Gbyte Seagate,
Minoru 3D WebCam, NVIDIA 3D Vision-Ready
Felconian [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 20, 2012 12:51 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Well after wasting my whole weekend on trying to get this software to work. Uninstalling almost everything and reinstall PD10 i decided to give up!

I bought adobe Premiere and installed it and bam ...It worked.. with no problems at all.

I really think this software is defective ... Even PD8 Worked ...

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 22. 2012 13:26

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Felconian,
You have posted twice on this thread - please start your own NEW topic.
Please read: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/13638.page

New Topic link: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/jforum.page?module=posts&action=insert&forum_id=99

Forum Moderator

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 22. 2012 13:36

Ricm [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Minneapolis Joined: Jan 02, 2012 16:58 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
I have finally had a chance to try some things. My start up apps are minimum so that, I don't think that is an issue. I checked my "Windows experience"and my lowest rating is for my HD and that is 5.9 so I don't think that should be the deal breaker either.

I did have success with one thing: I elevated the priority of the Cyberlink program in the Task Manager to "High." (For those unfamiliar try this, go: Ctl+Alt+Delete to get to the Task Manager. From there select the "Processes" tab. Next scroll down to find a process the description "Cyberlink PowerDVD resident program." Right click on the process and choose "Set Priority" from the drop down list. Next select "High" from the list and then allow the change.)

With this change I have been able to produce an hour long video with only one freeze. This an amazing improvement from where I was. Next, I will elevate the priority of the Power Director 10 process (Don't know how I missed this earlier) ans see what happens.

Pleas keep this thread alive by posting your successes or failures. I think we are getting close to decoding why PD10 works for some but not all. (Assuming your hardware s up to the task.)
Miroslav Durcik [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Bratislava, Slovakia, Europe Joined: Jul 08, 2010 16:40 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I am also having issues with producing h264 streams (with produce as well as through burning avchd/bluray).
For one of my projects there was about 90% chance that the freeze occured at the same time.
For other projects there was about 70% chance that the freeze occured at least once, but not at the same time.
As was mentioned elsewhere, comparing stream file size helps a lot.
The freezing happens on begin or somewhere in the middle of a scene, and the freezed frame stays until next scene is "loaded". Music is present, even text overlay objects are present, but scene video freezed. No matter what hw/sw choices I check or uncheck, no change. It happens even if let the computer untouched for the time of rendering. Hmm.. I think with lower percentage of fail, indeed.
For me as a programmer, is looks like "unhandled function call return value" issue. Like it or not, even for video editing apps the truth is it should complete the job without errors in final time, if it is correctly programmed. Everything else is a bug.

I have upgraded from PD8, because for my lumix TZ7 files there were problems rendering bluray/avchd disc in PD8 (crashes, error boxes, etc.). I spent 10 days rendering my BDAV movies for my bluray disc. (when I produce h264 files, they are not recognized as correct streams in other apps.). Even for that I am happy, it is finished now.
Ricm [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, last night before retiring I rebooted my computer. Elevated the Priority of the Cyberlink apps and put my Norton antivirus into “Silent” mode, so it would not interrupt the process. I then started to produce an mp4 file with the preview off and with no accelerations.

In the morning I found the production froze 34% of the way through the burn. Aaaarrrrgggghhh!

I agree with Miroslav. There has to be a resource allocation problem with the code. I don’t think I want to keep beating my head against this wall. I think I will cut my losses and join Felconian in a happier place. This product has consumed way too much of my time.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Ricm ,
Please can you provide your diagnostic files? Looking over that data would be very helpful.
Guide: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page
Part B.

I'd also like to know if editors who're having problems purchased the Upgrade and from what build?

Dafydd

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 23. 2012 09:36

Ricm [Avatar]
[Post New]
I am not sure how this thread got split. I actually started the thread and attached the file. It is here:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/21183.page
Miroslav Durcik [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Bratislava, Slovakia, Europe Joined: Jul 08, 2010 16:40 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I have purchased PD10 UPGRADE , 1129b. I have also tried to reinstall it, changed video drivers.

I have also posted several tickets to tech support + uploaded project and video files to my web as a reference. DOn't know if that is for any good, if it is being processed or if someone on the other side has simulate issies with my projects/files. All I get from tech support is "update your computer", send us "log file" (but there was no crash),.. we will see..

by the way..
After upgrade from PD8 besides other things I had to reset all my panning trajectories (magic motion). The zooming was wayoff.
Strange thing also.. after upgrade my BDAV streams were main profile, then I reinstalled PD10 (without first having to install PD and suddenly they begun to be HIGH profile. (mediainfo discovery) But that did not change this thread's problem occurance.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry rcim, I thought that was an incident log file and not the diagnostic (duh...oops).

Please bear with me and live with what i'm going to throw up as observations.

1. Your PC differs from one of mine. I have a core duo quad and yours is an i5.
2. You have a GT220 and mine is a GTS 250, Now I've read somewhere that there are issues with the 200 range and while mine is coping, yours might not be. We don't have the use of what w7 directx provides and we're both in need of a graphic card upgrade.
3. The graphic drivers are as mine.
4. Audio device. Now i note you have a
Panasonic-TV-1 (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)
Drivers: Date and Size: 7/7/2011
Need to check for update drivers.
I have a simple RealTek set up.
The Audio driver is the only thing I can see immediately.

I use mp4 file format all the time 2D and 3D footage. So I'm scratching my head on this issue.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 23. 2012 13:29

Ricm [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for taking a look. The 200 series nvidia cards are on Cyberlink’s approved list. The Panasonic is a 55 inch plasma TV/Monitor.

Most of the failures I get are when the preview is off, so there should only be CPU running data, nothing to the vid card or sound card.

So far I can find nothing to explain my troubles. I think I will try downloading the cleaner software and reinstalling PD 10 over the top of the current copy. If that doesn’t work…I give up.
Graeme1946 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 15, 2008 17:51 Messages: 46 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd. Please, please, provide your Diagnostic file, and windows Experience index,so we mortals can work out what is needed for faultless full HD Editing , especially your lowest index which is the bottle neck of any computer and its limitations. Graeme
Felconian [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 20, 2012 12:51 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
bump
Ricm [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here is an update: Last night I downloaded the cleaner software and I loaded a new copy of PD 10 over my existing copy. After loading I verified the original software loaded by checking the version info. The version no longer had the 1129b suffix. I then loaded the 1129b patch and tried the software again. The freezing behavior did not change.

Next, I will remove the software entirely and download a trial copy of another video editor. I’ll report back on the success or failure.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 24. 2012 13:19

[Post New]
I too have been suffering from the same freezing fate! I updated drivers, cleaned up computer, etc. to no avail. However, when I deleted my transitions, found that the video played normally again. It is only when the video is in the timeline with transitions that I have any freezing! What do you do about that?

Disclaimer: Totally new to all this, and not as computer savvy as the rest of you all :

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 24. 2012 11:35

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I too have been suffering from the same freezing fate! I updated drivers, cleaned up computer, etc. to no avail. However, when I deleted my transitions, found that the video played normally again. It is only when the video is in the timeline with transitions that I have any freezing! What do you do about that?

Disclaimer: Totally new to all this, and not as computer savvy as the rest of you all :

Hi
Welcome to the forum.
Please post your issue as a NEW Topic rather than attach it to this thread.
Guide: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/13638.page
New Topic link: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/jforum.page?module=posts&action=insert&forum_id=99
Thanks
Forum Moderator

Edited post.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 24. 2012 13:01

Ricm [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well I have been playing with a different editor for about 3-days now and have not been having any problems when I create new compilations. I have experienced a problem rendering a video when I built the compilation out of MP4 files that I made using PD10. So that leads me to think, perhaps there is something about PD 10 files that this editor does not like.

Oh well, after many many hours of struggling, I think I can finally start making movies. Unfortunately it will not be with PD 10.

The most important lesson learned here is: START WITH A TRIAL VERSION BEFORE COMMITING TO A VENDOR.

As Douglass Adams has said, “So long and thanks for all the fish.”