Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to lock a clip to a timeline marker
Ned Ham [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 22, 2011 02:29 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
After searching the manual and forum for a similar subject, and coming up short, I decided to start a new new thread.

I'm running PD10 1129b. I do not have a history using older versions of PD.

When editing a home movie project with a music background I would like to have some clips pop up at a specific point in the song. I discovered both the timeline and beat markers, they help but they don't lock the clip down to that point. As I work on the project the clips move off point as I add/delete other clips. Adding transitions also moved the clips off mark.

Here is the basic process I used.

1. Add song (I use the bottom audio track)
2. Add timeline markers
3. Add clips to timeline markers (ex: one at the beginning, one in the middle and one at the end of the song.)
4. Add remainder of the clips that do not need to be tied to a specific point of the song.
5. Add transitions

As I added the additional clips in step 4 I found that the clips I set to markers were pushed off mark. It took a lot of patience and re-adjusting but I finally got all my clips added and my marked clips at the right point. I then added a fade transition and found that it added time to my production and again moved my clips off mark.

Is there a best practice to accomplish this task in less time and with more precise results. Should a change the order of my steps? For example should I add transitions as I go so the extra time is being accounted for during editing?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Ned
Ned Ham [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm not sure if this post just got lost of if it's a dumb question. In any case can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Ned
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
The solution to your problem, as I understand it, is an option hidden in the Preferences:

• Edit -> Preferences
  • Click on "Editing" at the left of the window.
  • Up near the top will be a checkbox for "Link all tracks when..."

• When that option is set, all of the tracks will slide together when you insert or delete clips or transitions from any of them.

Don't forget to turn that option off when you don't need it! If you forget, you'll have the reverse of the problem you started with.

Before you ask, nobody knows why CyberLink buried that option instead of putting it front and center.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 05. 2012 20:37

Jerry Schwartz
    Ned Ham [Avatar]
    [Post New]
    Sounds good, I'll give it a try.

So if all the video tracks are linked to the audio track, what happens if I delete a video clip of 10 seconds. Will it remove the corresponding 10 seconds of the audio track? I would not want that to happen.
    jerrys
    Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
    [Post New]
    Quote: Sounds good, I'll give it a try.

So if all the video tracks are linked to the audio track, what happens if I delete a video clip of 10 seconds. Will it remove the corresponding 10 seconds of the audio track? I would not want that to happen.

I think you're using the terms "track" and "clip" interchangeably; and they are not the same. Just like a boat is something you pick up and put on a ship, a clip is something that you pick up and put on a track.

Typically, when you first get it, a video clip will have an audio clip attached to it. They are indeed "linked," an unfortunate bit of confusion. If you highlight such a set of fraternal twins, you can right-click on it and unlink them. The video and audio portions are now separate and independent clips. This has nothing to do with the "Link tracks" option.

I suggest that you fiddle around with the sample clips. Add them to the timeline, first on one track, and get a feel for what happens when you unlink, split, and change the length of them. (You can use the sample clips as many times as you want.)

Once you have a feel for that, try adding things to another track and explore what happens when you manipulate the two tracks together or by themselves. Try it with the tracks linked, unlinked, locked, unlocked, and so on.

Tempting as it is to jump right into a project, a little investment of time up front will save your bacon later.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 05. 2012 21:39

Jerry Schwartz
    Ned Ham [Avatar]
    [Post New]
    Thanks for the advice. I was, unintentionally, interchanging clip and track. I think I'm used to referring to audio as tracks but I understand the difference as it relates to PD.

I have learned how to unlink audio which is a nice feature. I will take your advice and experiment working with clips on various tracks.

Thanks again.
    jerrys
    [Post New]
    Quote: Thanks for the advice. I was, unintentionally, interchanging clip and track. I think I'm used to referring to audio as tracks but I understand the difference as it relates to PD.

I have learned how to unlink audio which is a nice feature. I will take your advice and experiment working with clips on various tracks.

Thanks again.

Actually, so far as I know the terminology is the same. Tracks are parallel, clips are sequential. Jerry Schwartz