Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
UPGRADE from 8 to 10
Brissel [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 18, 2011 06:13 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Has someone updated from 8 to 10 without problems ?
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Depends on your computer mostly..... you can always download the trial and find out.... __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
JustHomeEditing [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 06, 2010 08:29 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Yes I have, PD10 requires more performance from your PC, the user interface feels more sluggish and the production speed (AVCHD 1920x1080) is equal on my low tech PC (AMD Athlon X2, 4GB, NVIDIA CUDA powered, Vista). The reason I upgraded is the new functionality like audio normalization.

I concluded that the PC setup that was workable with PD8 is not sufficient with PD10 and upgraded the processor, memory and OS (AMD Phenom II X6, 8GB, Win7). Now I am waiting for customer support to provide a solution that allows me to install the patch that is available for PD10. When I try to apply it a message is shown saying that I do not have PD10 installed. I must say, after activation of PD10 I did receive an email thanking me for registering PowerDirector 4.0 !?

My conclusion is that if PD8 is installed on the system the upgrade installer works fine but if you try to install PD10 without PD8 the upgrade installer f*cks up.
Brissel [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 18, 2011 06:13 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
My problem was i have 8 retail version and i was trying to upgrade to 10 from 8 non retail. Got the right version now no problems so far. I am running AMD Phenom II X6, 16GB ram Win7 64 bit .
[Post New]
I have 8 full retail and decided to purchase 10 full ultra full instead of the upgrade from 8. * has been really stable for me and most of the stuff I do is standard def. I wanted to have have BOTH 8 and 10 on my system at the same time.

I just finished installing 10 and the updates with no issues. 8 is still there too! Land of fieros, North Dakota USA
Nate 619 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 19, 2010 10:01 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I had the retail boxed version of 8 ultra and updated online to 10 ultra.

No problems at all, version 10 works great. I7 920, GTX 560ti, Win 7 64bit.
Branislav 2 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 21, 2010 15:46 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
I am running PD 8 more than two years, and (after few patches and some tricks) I am satisfied with it. There were 2 (for me, important) issues, which had not been solved in PD 8:
1. Poor quality of produced DVD movies (no matter SD, HQ or Custom).
2. Useless Menu Designer.

Few days ago I decided to try TRIAL version of PD 10. Here I will not talk about problems with "unsupporting H.264 hardware encoding/decoding" (you can see thread http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/21753.page), about old (already solved in PD 8 ) bugs, about new bugs, etc... I think it will be solved in near future. Here I will talk about "my" two qustion.

Unfortunately, answer is:
1. Poor quality of DVD (bad downscaling of high quality video and photo - you can find this thread in PD 8 forum) still REMAINS.
2. Menu designer is still useless, but I am shocked that this (BTW, the weakest part of PowerDirector) is absolutely equaly as in PD 8!?!?! Problems with "zombie" and choppy sound, with menu items, with scenes, etc...

From the other hand, I didn't find any improvement in PD 10, except 3D, which I even didn't try (I am not using it). Maybe, it's a little bit nicer, a little bit more comfortable... Here I've found similar opinions http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/20400.page .

So, MY verdict is: I will stay with stable, good, and workable PD 8 (so far), and check regularly for new versions.
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Has someone updated from 8 to 10 without problems ?

Hi Brissel

I updated from PD8 (love it - still use it on my other laptop, works like a dream) to PD10 on my newer laptop.

No real problems so far.

Is PD10 an improvement on PD8?

If you're into 3D video then the answer is probably yes, if you're not and happy with PD8 and it runs well on your system then probably stick to PD8

Happy editing Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

ganesha86 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 16, 2012 00:54 Messages: 106 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
what kind of upgrade to PDVD 10 did you buy?
For an OEM Version you need to buy the 8/9 Standard/other Versions - did you ordered this?
Miroslav Durcik [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Bratislava, Slovakia, Europe Joined: Jul 08, 2010 16:40 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I've found one specific problem when upgrading from pd8 to pd10:
If you open pd8 project in pd10 , your custom magic motion trajectories get broken.
I have reported this to CL. I hope they will fix it, for the sake of all customers that did not upgrade yet (and wanted to).

I have upgraded to pd10 so that I finally could render my projects in h264 (though only 1080i), something that was due to my 720p movie files impossible (as if CL did not test PD8 for such a resolution).