Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Cant get picture to show up on tv screen when hooked up through laptop
jckinnick [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 25, 2011 16:15 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
When i try to watch a DVD with Cyberlink or Windows Media Player for that matter whiled hooked up to my tv with an HDMI cable nothing shows up on the tvs screen.

I can watch for instance say something like a tv show that i have in itunes on the tv screen but dvds will not show up.
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not sure this is a PowerDirector problem. Check your computer documentation. Try different outputs. Make sure your TV is set to the right input source.

If I misunderstood the issue, then post more details about what you are trying to do. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
jckinnick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I'm not sure this is a PowerDirector problem. Check your computer documentation. Try different outputs. Make sure your TV is set to the right input source.

If I misunderstood the issue, then post more details about what you are trying to do.

Im trying to watch a DVD on my flat screen tv through my laptop blu ray player. I have a brand new Dell XPS laptop using Windows 7 and a Sony Bravia tv. Ive got an HDMI cable running from the laptop to the tv, i tune the tv to the HDMI input iv got the cable going to but when i play the dvd it doesn't duplicate on the flat screen.
Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
It may be a copy protection problem. Which windows software package (edition number) are you using to play the blueray on the computer. If it was a freebee from dell, it may have restriction preventing any hdmi output. Sad to say they may just what to squeeze more money out of you.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 26. 2011 17:21

RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
(2 NVME 2TB, 1 SSD 2TB, 3SATA 18TB )
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MB
RYZEN 7 3700X 8-CORE , 64 GB DDR4
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
It could be your Video Driver settings.
HDMI requires a proper HDCP connection to display HD content.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

jckinnick [Avatar]
[Post New]
I just switched the HDMI output to another one there are two in the back and one on the side of the tv. The one that wasn't working was the one on the side, so its working fine now i guess its for something different that what i was trying to do.

I have another question though how do i adjust the dvds picture on the tv screen so it doesn't get cut off? Its not a full view like on the laptop screen.
rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I just switched the HDMI output to another one there are two in the back and one on the side of the tv. The one that wasn't working was the one on the side, so its working fine now i guess its for something different that what i was trying to do.

I have another question though how do i adjust the dvds picture on the tv screen so it doesn't get cut off? Its not a full view like on the laptop screen.

Are you talking about a DVD that was burned in PD9?--Video software programs, PD9 included, all enlarge source material beyond what can actually be seen on a TV screen. That's why there are the "TV safe zone" boundaries (dotted lines) to invoke so you can make sure your project stays within bounds of what's actually going to be seen in the final product.

I had to do some testing and disc wasting to figure out what my actual "safe zones" were - they were slightly larger than what PD9 shows as a safe zone, now I know what to rely on.

rbowser
jckinnick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: I just switched the HDMI output to another one there are two in the back and one on the side of the tv. The one that wasn't working was the one on the side, so its working fine now i guess its for something different that what i was trying to do.

Are you talking about a DVD that was burned in PD9?--Video software programs, PD9 included, all enlarge source material beyond what can actually be seen on a TV screen. That's why there are the "TV safe zone" boundaries (dotted lines) to invoke so you can make sure your project stays within bounds of what's actually going to be seen in the final product.

I had to do some testing and disc wasting to figure out what my actual "safe zones" were - they were slightly larger than what PD9 shows as a safe zone, now I know what to rely on.

rbowser

No its a Netflix blu ray movie.
rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:

No its a Netflix blu ray movie.

Oh, I see. Well, considering this is a forum about PD9, I don't know why you're asking how to figure out your entertainment system. You're playing your rented disc at the wrong aspect ratio setting. Go read the manual, I guess, if you can't figure it out.

rbowser
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]

Most all TV sets overscan the picture area.
The amount of overscan is dependent on the TV set.

The average overscan is about 10%. So your top, bottom and sides disappear under the TVs mask.

Makes no difference what the video source is, your TV will overscan.
You laptop on the other hand is the exact video size and does not overscan.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 27. 2011 10:13

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

jckinnick [Avatar]
[Post New]
So there is no way to get the aspect ratio to fit on my tv correctly through cyberlink ?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 27. 2011 16:10

Carl312
[Post New]
So there is no way to get the aspect ratio to fit on my tv correctly through cyberlink ?

Your TV view is determined by your Video Driver settings.
If you have your laptop resolution set to a strange resolution setting for TV viewing, your TV may interpret the signal wrong.

Your Video output to the TV should be either 1920x1080 or 1280x720 Pixels.

Any other resolution will give strange results.