Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
DVD BURN FAILS - ANYONE HAVE A SOLUTION
Forrester [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 15, 2008 13:38 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Oh yeah, everything goes well until I selec burn.It will start the burn proccess and author 1% and error. Says burn "unsuccessful/unspecified error"

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 29. 2011 16:33

[Post New]
Mpeg-2, Mpeg-4, doesn't matter for me, neither will burn to file or disc. Weird how other free programs one in particular which I can't name are working, but don't have all the bells and whistles of PD8. Want PD8 to work!
Forrester [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes. I want it working as well. I sent PM to a moderator for help, he told me to post my question here and he would reply. No such luck. and now the PD9 is out. they no longer support PD8 is what tech support told me.

I am going to buy "Final Cut Pro" and be done here!

Thanks Cyber link for taking my money!
CarolT441 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 26, 2011 05:24 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I am with you, it works when it feels like it. It worked fine when I used it as AVI but then I thought maybe to try mpeg and then it refused towork at all not even making a folder. then after reading the posts here, I turned on my previewing of the production?? and I turned on the accelerated hardware thing? (I have nvidia geforce with cuda)that thing you know. Sorry computer talk isn't my forte. Well it worked!! Although I must say that when I updated my software, the top one was platinum (version and like 2 days later it is asking me to upgrade to version 9!!! aaaahhhhh. Extremely frustrating. Has anyone every seen the Onion Movie-this software reminds me of that movie. You don't even get the software isntalled and it is outdated. Cyberlink needs to have free calling for a few months to help people with questions, then again, the person with 30 yrs programming experience and a masters in something to do with computers is still having problems with this software.....go figure. confused as heck
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Just because Powerdirector pops up the upgrade window does not mean you must upgrade.

All you have to do is close that window.

I am using PowerDirector 8 Ultra Build 3022 and have no problems. Other than the ones I create for myself.

If you don't want to see that pop up, you can block PD from accessing the Internet. There are many ways to do that. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

CarolT441 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 26, 2011 05:24 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I am not saying that I MUST upgrade, I am saying that I just bought the software and like 2 days later they have an even better one out there-would have been nice if they had said hey wait a couple of days and get the new one. confused as heck
Kevin R.
Contributor Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas Joined: Aug 17, 2010 15:58 Messages: 320 Offline
[Post New]
New doesn't ALWAYS mean better. I use 8 Ultra and am very happy with it. I've heard a few grumblings about 9. Not all the bugs worked out yet, like that can ever REALLY be done with any software this involved. Saving the world, one goofy video and meme at a time.
Forrester [Avatar]
[Post New]
The gentleman from Texas says, "Only problems I create for myself" Well Tex, I can't even burn a disc that I made six months ago that when I made the movie, I burned 6 discs no problem. Now it wont burn that file either and Cyberlink tells me its something in the way I have put together the movie. I think not!

I did purchase another program wednesday, Kinda pricey, but Wow! itis amazing stuff.

Thanks Cyberlink, Without this problem that you refused to address, I would have never stepped out and done the right thing. I'll bet I don't upgrade to 9 here.
Kevin R.
Contributor Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas Joined: Aug 17, 2010 15:58 Messages: 320 Offline
[Post New]
Forrester,
Your attitude is indicative of your lack of people skills. I see folks trying to help you and then you pop off with a remark like that. I also am from Texas and I think your little smart mouth either has or will get you in a lot of trouble in life. The man has a name and it is not TEX! If you can't appreciate that other users (not cyberlink employees) are trying to help you, then it's probably best you do go else where.

Kevin (TEX 2) R. Saving the world, one goofy video and meme at a time.
Forrester [Avatar]
[Post New]

Kevin,

I run a very successful and busy photography studio and have wonderful people skils.

As far as "Carl" goes, I was polite when calling him a Gentleman, I said Tex with no puns intended.

He must not have a problem with it as he did not respond to it, you did.
You say you're from TX. Too? Well maybe it's you that has a problem with people calling you TEX.
My Sister lives in Baytown Texas and I’m always calling her husband Tex. and he don't have a problem with it.

Carl, If I offended you, I am truly sorry.

Kevin,

I used PD7 till 8 came out and 7 no longer worked and CL no longer supported it, I upgraded and it worked fine, Now 9 is out and 8 don't work. I’m just saying, If it smells like a fish, there is probably something fishy around.

If you think that you have the skills to fix this problem, by all means, give it a whirl.

I am using XP pro, media center addition. Geforce6100 graphics card, 2.4Ghz dual core, 3 GB of ram.

This program was working fine on this system for 7 months.
The manner in which I put the slideshow together has not changed.
Although we do not use PD for editing our wedding video's we always use it for the slideshows as it is the most user friendly software I found for the money.

The slideshow goes together fine, produces fine, everything works like its should up until the point where I click "burn" then it errors out after 1% of authoring. error reads "Burn unsuccessful, unknown error".

I have noticed that a lot of people in this forum are having familiar if not the same issues and one should expect us to get a bit frustrated when we get no support.

I am sorry if I have offended anyone, but in all reality, you need a tough skin if you're going to be dealing with people in a situation where they have used all their resources trying to fix a problem that nobody seems to have an answer for. some people are going to get a bit mouthy, it's to be expected.
I just don't have time for the lack of support I seem to be getting with this issue.

PD keeps referring me to the knowledgebase and forums, If I was a home user, I would have time for the forums to guess at a problem. But I'M not I use this in my business.

Good luck figuring this out.

Mike

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
As far as "Carl" goes, I was polite when calling him a Gentleman, I said Tex with no puns intended.

He must not have a problem with it as he did not respond to it, you did.

I did not respond because I do not think you deserve a reply to your attitude.

I am done with this thread. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Forrester [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi guys,

I am embarrassed to tell you this, But I finally figured it out.

The young lady that works in our editing room took it upon herself to create a custom menu. I did see the custom menu that she created right off the bat and told her, "nice job". Then after messing with this thing over and over again I finally decided to redo the entire slideshow myself and at the create disc section I used a preset menu that comes with the software and it created the file and burned the DVD.

I am truly sorry for letting this under my skin, which by the way is not normal for me, but I am so, so busy that I just got worked up about it. This client has been waiting 4 weeks on her disc, also if a funeral home calls I have like 24 hrs to produce that slideshow while having to scan most of those images. I was just getting a little bit anxious.

The pressure got to me!

You guys were too kindby not cussing me out on here.

I know, I'm a JERK! You guys have all rights to call me anything you want to at this point.

Mike

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 29. 2011 16:28

VINCENT22222222222222222 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 01, 2011 07:10 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I got it.
Make a new folder in your documents and call it power director.

open power director program.

Look under preferences>export directory and click on browse and redirect the export directory to your new folder.

Do the same with the import directory.

REMEMBER. after successfully burning DVD open both folders and delete the files within.

I think the existing files stop any new movies to be burnt. This is why it does work or it doesn't.

good luck.

[Post New]
i've recently been having these same problems turning long (movie length videos) into dvd's, kept getting authoring-1% completed but nothing more until the "burn failed" message. btw my cpu was running at 100% for the hour or so that i waited, but making no sound. dont know how healthy that is. anyways, i tried just for kicks making a 5 minute video with a custom dvd menu and it worked fine. went back to do a long one and burn failed. after seeing VINCENT22222222222222222's last post i (didnt quite do what he recommended) went in to my documents then the cyberlink folder-powerdirector etc. and deleted all my old dvd menus/profiles and everything, went back to pd and went straight to the create disc menu, uploaded a long vid and used a standard menu. worked fine. i'm gonna do some more troubleshooting to figure out which of my actions really made the difference, and if success continues. hopefully just doing an occasional history cleanup will do the job.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 08. 2011 09:22

Windows 7-64bit
amd Athlon II x2 250 processor 3.00 ghz
5gb ram
ati radeon hd 4200
media suite 9ultra
power director 8 ultra 8.00.3327
LMT [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 08, 2011 23:28 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I just upgraded to PD 8.0 and intermittently this message comes up when I am attempting to burn a DVD. It always appears while it is authoring.

Burning unsuccessful
Description:
(1) The DVD-Video folder doesn't conform to DVD-Video Spec's requirement.

Any idea what this means and/or how to resolve this issue?

Thank you in advance for any advice.
Carl312
[Post New]
Burning unsuccessful
Description:
(1) The DVD-Video folder doesn't conform to DVD-Video Spec's requirement.

That message could mean that you chose the wrong disk in disk preferences in the PD Create Disk Module.

Have you tried just burning a DVD folder and not Burn Disk?

If you burn a DVD folder, you save coasters and you can see the structure that is created. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
i agree, even if you chose the right type of disc you may have the wrong size or something i.e. picked 8.5gb when your disc is 4.7gb. i'm not sure but maybe the recording format would make a difference if you chose 4:3 but your project is 16:9 etc Windows 7-64bit
5gb ram
ati radeon hd 4200
media suite 9ultra
LMT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you both for your suggestions.

It is the strangest problem.

Sometimes a DVD will burn and other times I get the error message. I am using the same spindle of DVD's and not changing the setting between burns. It seems that closing down and restarting the computer helps but does not always guarantee it will work.

I tried burning the files to a folder, then using another program to burn to DVD. That worked a little better but even then there was a problem - sometimes only a part of the files burned to the folder so I could not make the DVD.

I did not have any problem burning straight to DVD until I upgraded from the factory installed version to 8.0 a week ago. It worked fine for the first few DVD's but then I ran into this problem by Day 3.

Do either of you know where the temp files are stored while it is burning? Maybe I need to occasionally clear it out?

Thank you. Any suggestions are appreciated.
[Post New]
hmm, i've occasionally had random problems like that too. lately i've been just clearing out my old custom menus etc. which are stored in "documents/cyberlink/custom menus". i deleted mine an hour ago so i cant say the particular folder names in there, just look around in there for custom stuff to clear out. These are not temp files though! so dont clear it unless you're sure you dont need it.
also within the main documents folder there may also be project data with jibberish names .tmp. i've never had a problem clearing those out.-see pic

Anyways doing these things occasionally seems to be working for me, but it may be risky so dont blame me if you accidentally delete stuff the you still need

p.s. as you'll hear a thousand times in this forum, maybe uninstall/reinstall. if you do, i recommend removing absolutely any trace of the old stuff then reinstall rather than letting the installation program do the replacing. but again, at your own risk
[Thumb - temp files.JPG]
 Filename
temp files.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
tmp files
 Filesize
18 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
544 time(s)
Windows 7-64bit
5gb ram
ati radeon hd 4200
media suite 9ultra
LMT [Avatar]
[Post New]
I wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions regarding my burn to DVD problem.

After my first two posts, the issue continued to get worse. I could not burn any DVD's by the end of the week.

In desperation, I found a video converter program that took all my video clips (MPEG4, high def) and converted them into a single MPEG2 file. There was not a noticeable loss in quality and to my surprise, it seems to have worked. I have edited and burned several DVD's since then with no error notices.

I just wanted to share that in case it is a viable solution for someone else.
[Post New]
A new user to PD8 and I am really like the features. I too though have not been successful at burning a DVD yet where I consistently get a pop up from PD that says:

"Power Director - Burning unsuccessful. Possible cause(s): The authoring process is aborted by users. It is cause by that users press the abort button.".

Needless to say I did not touch anything when this occurred after several failed attempts. This consistently occurs about 89% of the way through burning and is independent of using hardware acceleration or not. As some of the previous posts suggested I did try writing to the hard drive which does work. I also started with a clean boot and nothing else running each time I tried to create the DVD. Keeping to a very vanilla setup for my first production, my file is two MPEG files which are about 3.5G total. I only have 10 chapters and no special effects or other enhancements because as I said, I am a new user.

I have a Windows 7 64 bit home edition with an I7 processor, 4G memory, an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730 video, and Blue Ray DVD combo drive. PD8 8.00.2609a

Is there something that needs to be configured or setup with PD8 that I am not aware of? Appreciate any help offered.