Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can't get Cross-Over Transitions
mtsarpilot [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 21, 2010 11:05 Messages: 33 Offline
[Post New]
When I add a transition between two elements in the video, I lay it across the two elements, yet every time PD9 forces it to the end of the previous element and makes it an Overlap transition. The only way to make it a Cross-Over is to then hit the "Switch" button or right-click and select "Switch to Cross-Over Transition" in the menu. I see in the Tutorial they can position the transition across the two video elements and PD9 automatically understands it is supposed to be a Cross-Over. What am I doing wrong? Is there a setting I need to change somewhere that I'm missing?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
That's because the release version changed the option.

I fully understand your irritation. I will mention the issue to CyberLink.

Dafydd
mtsarpilot [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 21, 2010 11:05 Messages: 33 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the quick reply. I thought I was going nuts and not understanding something. Sounds like this is the way PD9 is right now until they fix it, is that a correct understanding?

The other thing I'm finding is that sometimes PD9 does not seem to realize that two video elements truly abut to each other, thus the transition can't be made into a Cross-over. I have to move an element off the video track onto a secondary video track then put it back on the video track to get PD9 to abut them. This even happens with multiple elements that were drag-and-dropped on the video track all at once, so it is not just an issue with how I'm placing them on the track. Have others seen this behavior?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Check that there isn't a gap between the clips - down to one frame level. You'll find there is a gap and you'll have to close it before placement of the transition is accepted.

Dafydd
Peter Ozpeter [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 10, 2008 20:51 Messages: 336 Offline
[Post New]
Unfortunately the "cross" type transitions do not work correctly and so it's good that the the "overlap" is the default.

If you use a "cross" transition between two clips where there is movement in the shot - which is going to be true in almost all cases - movement in the incoming clip is frozen until the mid point of the transition. Likewise, movement in the outgoing clip freezes after the mid point of the transition. So if it's video from an air show, and the clips show moving aircraft, the plane in the outgoing clip will magically start to hover, not fly, from the mid point of the transition.

So - stick to overlap transitions unless you check very carefully that a "cross" transition does not reveal this shortcoming in the program.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 25. 2010 17:41

Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
You bring up two problems that were observed and reported in beta testing.

The default type of transition has changed...Cross vs Overlay used to be overlay....now it seems to be cross. This is evident when viewing some of the tutorials created for PD9. The viewer cannot duplicate what is being done in the tutorial because the type of transition has changed. I would imagine this would be very confusing to the viewer.

And if you decide on using the Cross transition type...the preceding clip will pause at the last frame for a short period of time ...then the second clip begins. There were several people that were not happy with this as it was not what a video editor would EXPECT when applying a transition. You would EXPECT continuous playback of the first clip....smoothly transitioning into the second clip. No pauses.

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.