Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Recommendation for making sports highlight video
Flow79 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 02, 2010 02:02 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I want to create a highlight video of my son's football games. I want to select clips and highlight and follow him through the play. I have Power DVD 8, but I don't think I can do the highlighting with this software. So I am considering Power Director 8. Will this software allow me to do this? Is this the best option in the Cyberlink famlily? How difficult will it be to do this? Apreciate any advice that you can give. Thanks!
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Flow79,

There are many approaches you could take to highlighting in PD9.
Everything from a say a yellow circle or arrow (animated with PIP Motion) to follow a player. To animated motion video cropping, etc. All involving the use of Key Frames.

Here's a demonstration of yet another method that might work for you, where the highlighted player displays in color while the other players/parts of the footage display in B&W.
http://www.youtube.com/user/PDtoots#p/u/22/8DsgWu3bMtM

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Flow79 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for advice Cranston! So is Power Director a good program to use for this? Is it very difficult to do?
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Flow79,

The best answer I can give is... With everything new, there is a learning curve. And everything is difficult until you know how, and it becomes a routine task.
And our individual aptitude determines how swiftly we ascend to the top of the curve. I'm not a swift ascender.
But from day one, when I started back with PD4, I found PD's interface very intuitive, and in line with how I expect things to work.

PD has a lot of "Magic" this and that options, that are one button clicks that create automated movies and slide shows, etc. Highlighting isn't one of them. Highlighting a moving object in one's footage, takes a bit of elbow grease and familiarity with how to use Key Frames to create motion. But there are video tutorials available that demonstrate how to do that.

Your best bet would be to just take advantage of Cyberlink's 30 day free trial, and see if PD8 suits and works for you.
If during your trail, you have other questions, there are many friendly and knowledgeable members here who are willing to help when they can.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 02. 2010 07:07

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Flow79 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the advice! I will give it a try!
Flow79 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hey Cranston! I bought PD8 and have been working with it this weekend. I'm almost through with my first video! Learniing curve was steep, since this was my first attempt at making videos, but i'm getting the hang of it. The User Guide that they publish is rather weak. I looked at several of your tutorials on YouTube. They were very helpful.

Again, THANKS!!
Cranston
[Post New]
Thanks for the follow up Flow79.
There's lots of fine folks here willing to help with that learning curve.
(Well, usually anyway.) Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
There's lots of fine folks here willing to help with that learning curve.
(Well, usually anyway.)

Indeed.

Dafydd
Flow79 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the encouragement and support. BTW, my family just told me that my first video is no match versus the professional who made one for us last year (well duuh!). Oh well, back to the cutting room (although I'm still pretty proud of my first venture!). Was checking through the user guide and saw the Trim functions and the Magic Fix. I didn't recognize what these were initially, so I did everything thing manually the first time. I think I will go back and redo the project using these tools and see what a difference it makes.
Flow79 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hey Cranston, whazzup! I finished and posted my first video. Attached are the links. Thanks for all of your help!!!

http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/video/59233