Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
unable to burn a DVD due to long file name restrictions
DonMartin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 21, 2010 19:48 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Unable to burn a DVD data file due to long file name restrictions. I searched a lot but could not find what is the maximum number of characters for a file name. The software won't let me burn a DVD unless I shorten file names. My old Roxio7 used on an XP PC would shorten names automatically. I am now using a new Windows 7 PC with Power2Go V 7 factory installed (bundled) by HP. I can only burn a few files at time that have under 55 characters file name. Burning 1 or 2 Gig of data with thousands of files to a data DVD would require shortening hundreds of file names manually, so I can only burn a few sample files to see what works. Would upgrading to a premium version help? I have gotten several answers from the web based support but their advice never worked.
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Don,

what is the Disc Format you choosed from the settings dialogue?

Please see attached snapshot for the settings.

please also check these links to check if your path depth is fitting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UDF_File_System

Please let me know how long the filename and path is - if possible also attach a snapshot

Br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
DonMartin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 21, 2010 19:48 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Michael:
Thank you for your excellent post. I isolated the problem and found that by shortening about 1% of my file names to ridiculously short names that have no descriptive value (a few old ones were 170 characters long due to encryption) that I was able to make it work. I set it to UDF 1.5, I have a choice of UDF 1.5, 2.0,2.5 or IS)9660/Joliet.
Also, long file names are not a problem if the file being copied is on the C drive; the problem was triggered by burning a data DVD from data on a "J" drive that was setup by Cypherix 8.1 encryption software. I unlocked Cypherix before copying.
I never could find what Cyberlink's rules are for the number of characters in a file name or why the software would not take the initiative to shorten them the way my old Roxio 7 did in a PC running Windows XP. I find it interesting that newer technology makes things worse for me.
Natanvay [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 17, 2012 11:39 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Long Path Tool can simplify and probably end your problems in unlocking, managing and renaming files that appear to have a long filename.

Since in some instances, you may have experienced problems accessing, managing and even renaming files that have more than 255 characters, this utility has been made to answer this particular scenario. If you have also encountered problems like error messages that tell you that the path too long, too long path, destination path too long or cannot delete file then this program is definitely for you.

This will totally take place of Windows Explorer, Far Manager or other file managing utilities since this is maybe used in any type of Operating System even the earliest Windows 95 version.
Long Path Tool
Markovin99 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Dhaka Bangladesh Joined: Oct 06, 2012 04:20 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Well, I got the same problem as very annoying and with no explanation as the file names have no visible illegal characters and are not too long and not copied or deleted and found good stuff at http://pathtoodeep.com/ and also over here. Thanks
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
The actual NTFS limits and the Explorer limits are quite different. Explorer has a limit on the number of bytes in the total path. I'm a bit hazy on this now, but I ran into it when cleaning up PCs that were full of MP3s of questionable origin.

If I remember correctly, NTFS sets a limit on the length of each part of the path, not the total path.

In any case, it sounds like you are on your way. Jerry Schwartz
BrinJulia09 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: united states Joined: Jan 25, 2013 21:27 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Have you thought of using the Long Path Tool? This is the answer to your problem. You should check it.
Patrick [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 26, 2014 07:09 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

I suggest to try "Long Path Tool" program .

before I have problem cannot burn file because file name too long. and after I found long path tool and now my problem solved

Thanks

Patrick
stephano [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 08, 2015 10:27 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
It is usefull software for copy, delete, long path files.Please try "Long Path Tool" program.
[Post New]
I was able to burn long filenames in Windows 10 with Windows Media Player. There is not a restriction these days. Windows 10
[Post New]
Note The maximum path of 32,767 characters is approximate, because the "\\?\" prefix may be expanded to a longer string by the system at run time, and this expansion applies to the total length.

link:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365247%28v=vs.85%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396#maxpath Windows 10
aiden carter [Avatar]
Newbie Location: sddfsafsdgfg Joined: Oct 19, 2016 11:04 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for your post,

The Long path tool is the very best program for error, unlock solution. Try it and solved your problem. I used the long path tool and I solved my error, unlocks problem solution.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 20. 2016 00:17

aiden carter