Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Slide Show Rendering Size
Dan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 10, 2010 14:49 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry if this has been addressed by I couldn't search the forum.

Whenever I render a slide show and play it there is black space above and below the photos. I am able to stretch it so that there is no black on the sides but have found nothing that removes the black space from the top and bottom.

Any thoughts?
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Need a lot more details about what you are doing.

If the photos are too small to start with, you may well have that condition.

Photos for DVD should be a minimum of 720 X 480 NTSC or 720 x 576 PAL.

Much bigger for HD.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 10. 2010 16:11

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Dan [Avatar]
[Post New]
The photos are 1440x1080 (we used the dimensions from the Windows Video Media 9 HD High Quality).

I am simply making a slide show of photos with transitions I would like it to be full screen when played in windows media player. I have played with the dimensions of the photos even within the program but it always renders at the same height, and I can not find an option to change the height of the video before or after rendering.

Thanks for getting back to me so quick
Pax 123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Miami, Florida Joined: Feb 25, 2010 06:35 Messages: 282 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dan,

Check your aspect ratio. Click on the Director's Chair in the upper left corner of your screen, click Edit, click aspect ratio; then, if 4:3 is checked, change it to 16:9.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

BEP Laptop PC, ASUS
Core i7 Q 720
Win 7, 64-bit
RAM 8GB DDR2
Graphics, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M 1GB DDR5
Pax 123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Miami, Florida Joined: Feb 25, 2010 06:35 Messages: 282 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dan,

I may have misled you by my earlier post. Like Carl said, more information is needed to actually adjust your display. The fix I suggested is not a fix. The default display is 4:3. That fills the preview screen.

To remove the bars in the timeline and in the display window, place one of the display clips in the time line and see if the bars above and below appear.

If so, go to the little white button to the right of the garbage can and click.
Go to "Set Image Stretch mode, click.
Activate pull down window and click on "Stretch clip to 4:3 aspect ratio"
Click on "Apply to all image clips".

That should make your image fill the display in both the time line and in the preview window.

Bohn Laptop PC, ASUS
Core i7 Q 720
Win 7, 64-bit
RAM 8GB DDR2
Dan [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm not sure what more to say. I've got it set at 16:9, and used the stretch feature and in the preview screen it looks fine and covers the whole area.

The problem arises when I produce the slide show. Under the produce tab I use the Windows Video Media 9 HD High Quality option and when I go to play it in Windows Media Player it doesn't play full window but leaves black on the top and bottom. That is what I would like to get rid of. If you go to
http://www.myrentersguide.com/viewlisting.php?id=473
and click on the video tour icon it will play and you can see what I mean.

If it is not a feature within this program that is okay I am just trying to eliminate all the possibilities.

Thanks for the Help
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Dan Wrote
The problem arises when I produce the slide show. Under the produce tab I use the Windows Video Media 9 HD High Quality option and when I go to play it in Windows Media Player it doesn't play full window but leaves black on the top and bottom. That is what I would like to get rid of. If you go to
http://www.myrentersguide.com/viewlisting.php?id=473
and click on the video tour icon it will play and you can see what I mean.

Your video on the internet looks to me like a 16:9 video produced in a 4:3 format.
Since you are using Adobe Flash, are you sure that your flash software is set to produce a 16:9 video?

Normally if you have your project ratio set to the final output ratio, you get that ratio.
Project ratio is director chair > Edit > aspect ratio.

When your project is set to 16:9, your preview window will be a 16:9 rectangle. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Pax 123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dan,

Don't wait for further input from me. We are beyond my expertise, if any, already. Carl and I seem to be following the same trail. Therefore, before I opt out, let me express some lingering questions about what is going on.

First, is the 16:9 ratio what you want?
If so, Dan may have put his finger on it. Did you reproduce in 16:9. You may be looking at your old production if 4:3. I sugget you try producing in the format of your choice and displaying in the format of your choice anew. I am curious about the final resolution of your issue. So far, I don't hear anything that implies that you have a hardware or software problem. It sounds more like an issue of getting everything set up the way you want it. Also, you might try producing with other quality options.

Bohn

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 11. 2010 12:10

Laptop PC, ASUS
Core i7 Q 720
Win 7, 64-bit
RAM 8GB DDR2
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Excellent thinking Carl!

I think the problem is caused by producing the slideshow to WMV 9 HD High Quality in the first instance.

WMV 9 HD High Quality is 1440x1080 (4:3)
WMV 9 HD Standard Quality is 1280x720 (16:9)

When you play the produced WMV file on your PC, what's the aspect ratio?

The other issue is probably what your flash software is doing with it... or how the website processes it.

I would:
Produce to WMV HD Standard Quality
Convert to flash

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Aug 11. 2010 12:17

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Dan [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks I appreciate the help
Kevin R.
Contributor Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas Joined: Aug 17, 2010 15:58 Messages: 320 Offline
[Post New]
When I'm adding photos, i will use a photo editing tool first and make all the pics the same size as the video output I'm choosing. I always end up with full views.
I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are hoping for, but it might help.
Kevin Saving the world, one goofy video and meme at a time.