Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
DVD Authoring
Shawn [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 04, 2006 16:08 Messages: 33 Offline
[Post New]
Hey,
I have a question about DVD authoring.

If I want to produce a couple of videos in PowerDirector and then use some kind of DVD authoring tool (Like PowerProducer or Nero or whatever), what format is the best to produce the clips in PD5? Should I produce them to VOB files or MPeg or AVI or what?

I want to be able to produce them in PowerDirector 5 and then use the DVD authoring program to produce a DVD, but I don't want to lose video quality because I'm producing and then converting it and so on.

Any help would be appreciated.

Shawn
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Shawn,
I would recommend outputting your videos created in PowerDirector in MPEG2 format.

If you go into the Production Wizard (click on Produce ) and select Create a File...when you click on MPEG2 it tells you exactly that the output is recommended for DVD burning. This is in PowerDirector 6...not sure about previous versions, but it should be the same.
Shawn [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hey,
I just took a look and it sounds like it's the same in PD5. Thanks a lot for your help! I kind of thought that would be the best way to do it, but I wasn't sure if AVI would be better.

Thanks!
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
MPEG-2 is the format of video on most commercial DVDs, so for sure you want to use it to output your video for best quality.

Here's some more info if you want:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvd_video

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mpeg_2
Shawn [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks,
That's a big help. My big concern was that I didn't want to produce it and then find that when I used a DVD authoring program I'd lose a lot of quality.
I guess if I'm sticking with the same format (MPEG2 and DVD-Video) I shouldn't lose much in the producing of the actual DVD.

Thanks again,
Shawn