Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
LordRussell:

You should check your firewall to ensure that it is allowing PDVD19 to access the Internet. That might be the problem.

I hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
rejonzin:

Good luck. Cyberlink is very good at helping their customers if they can prove that they did purchase the software.

A good, recent system image (backup) is an important computer security consideration. I create full system images my computers weekly, and copy those images to an external drive as well, from my internal dedicated backup drive. Nothing "forgets" faster than a computer, so having multiple system image backups is a good habit to get into, and it will save you grief down the road, as you have found out, unfortunately, the hard way.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
rejonzin:

You will have to contact Cyberlink Support to obtain a download link. You will have to be able to provide proof that you are the licenced owner of PD17. Many of us here keep copies of our installer files on external media, along with the licence keys, so that when we move to a new computer or should there be a hardware failure or software corruption, we can reinstall our licenced products.

Good luck and have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
QC2.0:

Thank you for enlightening me on the Cyberlink upgrade licencing system. That is good news. I was not aware that they too, like Corel, will permit an upgrade install in the absence of a previously-installed version, with only a qualifying previous version licence key. That is so much simpler for the honest Cyberlink customer.

Have a great weekend.

Regards,
-Phil
prevaljo:

I am really glad to learn that Cyberlink has dealt with your situation in such a positive manner. Good for Cyberlink!

I had to replace my computer in October, but I elected to simply purchase a full version of PDVD19, even though I did have the installer files for PD17 and my licence key.

Interestingly, Corel Corporation, owner of WordPerfect Office (WPO), does not require a qualifying earlier version of their office suite to be installed before doing an upgrade to their current version (X9). If the WPO upgrade does not detect an earlier version of their software installed on the new computer, it requests only the entry of a licence key from a qualifying previous version. This saves the hassle of dealing with their Tech Support personnel for those of us who do not pirate software.

DISCLAIMER: I am not affiliated with Corel Corporation in any way. I just mention their upgrade licencing practice because I found it so simple and reasonable for the honest end user.

Glad that Cyberlink was able to resolve your issue. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
ssewb:

I am presuming that you are trying to use PD to capture your VHS video. I have never had any success with that approach. I purchased a software package with a converter "dongle" for under $100.00 and have converted hundreds of VHS tapes over the years without a hiccup, and some of them were pretty "noisy" tapes: very old. The quality has been quite acceptable. If you want the best quality, then follow Barry's advice.

The software and dongle capture the VHS as an .mpg file, and you can then import that captured .mpg file into PD and edit away.

Forum policy prohibits me from posting the name of the product, but if you want to know more, please send me a Private Message.

Have a great day and good luck.

Regards,
-Phil
Farmeral:

You are most welcome. Enjoy PowerDVD 19.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
Farmeral:

If you purchase a new full version of the software (not upgrade), then no previous "qualifying" version of the software has to be installed on your computer. That is the more expensive option (about $25 more), compared to upgrading, but you "own", subject to the EULA, the new version of the software outright, and if you want, and you have a previous new version, you can install that older version on another computer after uninstalling from the other computer.

Normally, you can only take advantage of "upgrading" if your current version is only two or three versions old. Beyond that, you have to purchase a new, full version of the software.

Since you indicate that you don't want to be bothered with installing a previous "qualifying" version of the software, paying the full purchase price would be the way to go. There is a "Black Friday" deal on now for PowerDVD19; see this link. The full version is only $59.99, which is a 40% discount.

I just purchased a new computer and my old version of PowerDVD was too old to qualify for an "upgrade", so I just purchased the full version, not upgrade version, of PowerDVD19.

I hope that this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
Just an update. I booted into Safe Mode with Networking and was able to successfully download the patch file. Then I booted back into Normal Mode and successfully installed the patch.

I can only conclude that Bitdefender was blocking the download, even though I had turned off the Protection modules. There were no notifications from Bitdefender.

This might help others who encounter a similar issue.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
I have tried downloading the latest patch for PDVD17. The Cyberlink Downloader.exe downloads successfully, but it then reports that there are Internet or Firewall problems once it is launched, after about 20 seconds, and it doesn't download even one byte of the patch. There are no Internet issues.

Running Windows 10 Pro x64, Build 1803 on an i7 CPU computer, 16 GB RAM and 1 TB SSD with 860 GB free space.
Bitdefender Total Security 2019 (Have disabled that without success, including the Firewall)
Malwarebytes Premium 3.7.1 (also tried disabling that without sucess)

Does anyone have any ideas, other than find another computer to download the patch?

Thank you and have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
poordom:

Welcome to the Cyberlink Forums. I too am still using PD14, though I started using PD with Version 9. I never had much success with the PD "Capture" function when trying to capture VHS or Hi8 video.

Instead, I use another product and converter to download my VHS and Hi8 video as .mpeg2 files, which I then import into the version of PD that I am using for editing and burning.

Because the product and "dongle" includes rudimentary video editing capabilities, it is a "competing" product and therefore I am not permitted to name it here in the Cyberlink Forums, by virtue of the Forum rules here.

If you wish, you can send me a private message and I will pass on the details of what I have been using very successfully now for years.

Regards,
-Phil
JOHNinTexas:

Very strange indeed! I am out of ideas. If you had a bad batch of Verbatim BDs, then they should not play in anything, BUT different drives/players do have different "tolerance levels" when handling errors.

Perhaps someone else more knowledgeable here on the Forums has an idea. There is a wealth of expertise here, even though we are all volunteers.

Sorry that I can't be of more help. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
JOHNinTexas:

Thank you for your reply. Yes, burning speed does make a HUGE difference. I always burn at least 50 percent slower than the rated write speed of the Verbatim BD disks that I use. You get much better results and avoid burn errors.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
JOHNinTexas:

Welcome to the Cyberlink Forums. I am not sure of your level of expertise, so please do not be offended if you already know what I am about to tell you.

Blu-ray disks are entirely different beasts from DVD disks. You can search both with Google.

If your computer has, which I presume it does, an LG BD writer/reader optical device, and you burned a BD disk, then, of course, your LG optical drive can read the Blu-ray disk that it burned.

If your Sony DVD players are really DVD players, and not BD players, then they will not be able to read any Blu-ray disk. Standard DVD players cannot even read AVCHD disks that are burned to actual DVD disks and not to Blu-ray disks.

If this is not issue, please let us know, and the volunteers here, who are very knowledgeable (I don't include myself in that group) will work with you to find a solution, if one can be found. I have owned many a Sony device, including multiple DVD and BD players, but I have found them to be very "fussy" about reading non-commercial Blu-ray disks. It is hit and miss. I have replaced my Sony gear with Samsung equipment, which I have found to be very good (I am not affiliated with Samsung in any way, by the way).

Regards,
-Phil
Patrick123123123:

Welcome to the Cyberlink Forums. You will have to contact Cyberlink, with proof of purchase. They should be able to provide you with download links. Once you have downloaded all of the installation files, save them to backup media, so that if you ever have to reinstall again, you will have the installer files. That is what many of us here do.

Regards,
-Phil
tonyrl50:

Welcome to the Cyberlink Forums. You will have to contact Cyberlink Tech Support, with proof of purchase and they will provide you with another download link.

It is recommended that when you download the various installation files, that you back up the installation files to a DVD or other media, so that in the event that you do have computer issues, you can easily reinstall the program yourself.

I hope this helps. Good luck, and have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
You are welcome, Jack. Glad that I could help out a fellow PD video editor! Happy Editing!

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
AVCHD disks can only be played on BD optical drives or players, and not all BD players recognize the AVCHD format. The AVCHD files are burned to DVDs usually, but they can't be "read" by DVD players and DVD optical drives. See this link for more information.

I hope this helps and don't feel badly. A lot of us had to learn the "hard way."

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
Johnny5:

Thank you for the update. You are most welcome for my assistance. And yes, I too prefer PowerDVD.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
Johnny5:

There are free DVD player software programs available. Forum regulations prohibit me from mentioning specific competing products in posts on this Forum.

If you do a Google search, you will get results like this:

https://www.winxdvd.com/windows-10/top-dvd-players-for-windows-10.htm

I do have a paid version of PowerDVD17, but I also use "2." on that search list, as an alternate, because it can play some strange formats; however, it lacks many of the fine features of PowerDVD.

Regards,
-Phil
Go to: