Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power Director 8 activation code
PETE [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 24, 2009 04:05 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I bought the Media Suite 8 Pro ($89.95 US) for download
It all seemed to download and install OK.

But now when I use Power Director 8 and try to (for example) open more than one PIP (the reason I upgraded) it tells me I need to upgrade or activate my software..

I have a CD key that came with my email, but no "Activation Code"

I have attempted to contact CyberLink tech support / customer service. Tree times now I have been given my same "CD Key" never any indication they understand my situation and no "Activation Code"

I've searched through this forum, and closest I can find is an offhand comment that "you get what you pay for" and "you should have bought the 'ultra' version"
an answer.. but little help

So here is the page where I researched the various software versions
http://www.cyberlink.com/products/cyberlink-media-suite/compare_en_US.html

I didn't see anything here that told me I was getting the 'weak' version of the Director software.. am I the only one with this issue??

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 30. 2009 14:12

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Pete,
The activation code and the CD key are the same thing in this case.

There is a difference between the activation code for Media Suite 8 (activates all the products within it) and PowerDirector 8's (deluxe and ultra) activation codes.

You can PM me your code if you like me to check it - I am the moderator here and have access to all CyberLink's products.
Moderator: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/user/listGroup/7.page

When you select a feature NOT active (just shows) in a restricted version of PD you are offered the opportunity to upgrade to Deluxe or Ultra where these capabilities are fully functional.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Dec 30. 2009 14:56

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Pete -

I can't help you with the activation code issue, but if you look at this table http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/compare_en_US.html and compare it to the features of PD8HE (in Media Suite) in the link you posted, you can see the differences.

If you were trying to sell a "diminished" version of a product, would you advertise it as "the weak version", or simply point out what it can do?

Ah - Dafydd has been there and done done - forget what I said.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
PETE [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the replies

Here's what I am figuring out..

I got screwed. I thought the version of PowerDirector 8 in the MediaSuite 8 I bought was going to be a full version since I looked at the two pertinant comparrison pages

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/cyberlink-media-suite/compare_en_US.html

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/compare_en_US.html

The first makes it look as though the Power Director portion of the Media Suite 8 would be identical between Ultra and Pro
In fact the ONLY differences mentioned are in the PowerDVD (different software I could care less about)

Since the "Ultra & Pro" versions of media Suite 8 are identical as far as Power Director.. I incorrectly assumed they were the "Ultra" / blue box not the orange box

They use Orange & Blue boxes, and terminology like "Ultra, Pro, Deluxe and Centra".... but these factors don't apply equally across their software packages..

I'm not saying I was intentionally duped, it might be a simple mistake, however I feel like I was not well informed to make a good decision to buy

I like the softwate (Power Director) I have, but I need the extra features I was looking for origanally..

So the next question is, will CyberLink take all this back and let me just buy PowerDirector 8 Full version alaone?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 30. 2009 15:24

PETE [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: The activation code and the CD key are the same thing in this case.

Which adds to the confusion with the non-english speaking techs I am forced to deal with via email

Quote: There is a difference between the activation code for Media Suite 8 (activates all the products within it) and PowerDirector 8's (deluxe and ultra) activation codes.

Yup, that is why I keep using the terminology the software uses "Activation Code" in my emails.. I am not looking for a CD Key which I already have

Quote: You can PM me your code if you like me to check it - I am the moderator here and have access to all CyberLink's products.

Thanks, but the CD Key works fine or I wouldn't be able to use the software, no?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: You can PM me your code if you like me to check it - I am the moderator here and have access to all CyberLink's products.

Thanks, but the CD Key works fine or I wouldn't be able to use the software, no?

Quote: But now when I use Power Director 8 and try to (for example) open more than one PIP (the reason I upgraded) it tells me I need to upgrade or activate my software..

Then why are you heading this thread with a subject in the topic "PowerDirector activation code" and implying the software requests you activate the software?

Attach an image of what you view?

Thanks

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 30. 2009 15:31

PETE [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Then why are you heading this thread with a subject in the topic "PowerDirector activation code" and implying the software requests you activate the software?

Follow me here

I buy the software from the website
I download it
I install it
-- at this point it requires a "CD Key" which came with the conformation email
I used the supplied "CD Key" to install the software
I use the software
At some point I attempt to use more than one PIP (a feature I now know is reserved for the 'better' software)
-- when you attempt to use a feature that is 'off limits', you get a window asking you to activate your software, or to upgrade
So I tired to use my "CD Key" to activate (didn't work, not enough digits, wrong code)
I was left with two options, contact support and ask questions here..

This is where I was when I started to ask questions. Since I was not yet aware that I had bought 'lesser' software, I thought I was missing a code or that my software might be broken

So two different places that one would have to add a 'code' in my situation..

I think I have a pretty good idea of what happened now, and what I need to do (pay more) so I'll have to think about it

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 30. 2009 15:40

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Pete -

Yes - your summary is correct... & you're right - how would anyone know the HE version of PD in Media Suite was a "lesser" version? They wouldn't, without some prior knowledge.

It is a little confusing when there are so many variants of the software and they're not lined up side by side - as in this table http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/compare_en_US.html

On the table you originally linked to, all it said about Picture in Picture Designer was that (a) there was one! & (b) it had 65 templates.

Personally, I'd just spend the extra dollars to upgrade to the full version of PD & use whatever I could of the rest of Media Suite.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!