Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 11 Workaround for Error Code 800401F9 / Access Storage drive - Workaround
zachd [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 13, 2013 03:26 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I spent $100 and bought TotalMedia Theatre 6. Given that I can't get or even buy a working solution from CyberLink at this time, that seemed the only way to quickly move forward. TotalMedia Theatre works in Media Center, doesn't have the big overhead of all the undesired "social" features, and most importantly works currently.

It was fun last night running PowerDVD 11 under Process Monitor and seeing all the time it wastes trying to use social features that I want nothing to do with. It's both inefficient and aggravating: I know Facebook is really exciting to some, but I have no desire to Facebookize me watching The Dark Knight Rises.
dl1910 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 13, 2013 16:42 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
This is ridiculous. As many users have the same issue, they should let the user downloads and fixes the issue instead of having to call or posting the issue and wait for their solution. I posted the request yesterday for this issue but no thing comes back yet. I had to return the rented blue ray disk.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Mar 13. 2013 16:57

Jonathan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 04, 2013 11:57 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I got fed up with waiting for a response to my ticket. So I installed the newest version of MPC, that along with my copy of anydvd and I can play just about any bluray disc out there. On the plus side every time I fire up MPC it doesn't ask if it's OK to connect to the internet and I don't have to manually set my audio output setting.

I'll never pay for bluray software again, not when there is better freeware out there, minus the expense of anydvd, but I bought that 4 years ago.
Howling Murf [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 25, 2011 23:13 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Just wanted to let everyone know who is waiting for a ticket response from Cyberlink on this one. The testing build is pointless, it doesn't play new BluRays.

I repeat, I just was given the testing build and it doesn't play new BluRays. Not only that, it still reminds you to patch the program to a broken version like before.

You are all better off downpatching to 2608 before they actually decide to treat this issue seriously.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 13. 2013 23:17

bwo [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Norway Joined: Mar 26, 2012 05:31 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
I got a beta version of Ultra 11 that was suppose to be fine. But as soon as it was installed I got the message that it needed to be upgraded to play the content. I did (cyberlink didn't warn me) and then I was back to square one where the software wouldn't play blu-ray disc.

It's hillarious. They give you a version and you're notified about a patch that wrecks it.

One can avoid this by pressing no when you're notified about the upgrade obviously, which I did the second time. Not sure though if this means the message will come up every time I pop in a blu-ray disc. And when can I know the real upgrade and patch is the right one?

The whole thing is a mess.

And if Howling Murf is correct, it also doesn't play new ones.

I think it's time they offer us a free version of 12.
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
sorry to hear about your issue - can you please provide me the case number you got and the name of the "patch" file?

the PowerDVD 11 build should be v3901

br
Michael
Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
bwo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi,
sorry to hear about your issue - can you please provide me the case number you got and the name of the "patch" file?

the PowerDVD 11 build should be v3901

br
Michael

Ticket ID: CS001242205
Not sure what you mean by patch file here, but the one that I was notified about after the installation was named: CL.v3318_r77447_Ul_DVD120803-02
I was told that patch was v3318.
v3901 seems to be the one I was given from cyberlink support. But when you're not told that you shouldn't upgrade and overlook the message on the screen, there's no way to know.

And how will future upgrades work? You should remove the ones that are incorrect.
S1lkyJ0hnson [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 02, 2012 11:07 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Just wanted to let everyone know who is waiting for a ticket response from Cyberlink on this one. The testing build is pointless, it doesn't play new BluRays.

I repeat, I just was given the testing build and it doesn't play new BluRays. Not only that, it still reminds you to patch the program to a broken version like before.

You are all better off downpatching to 2608 before they actually decide to treat this issue seriously.

Care to tell us which disks you're having trouble with? I have the hotfix and I've played Prometheus, Hunger Games, and Skyfall with no issues.

Also, I understand the issues some of you have with patching the hotfix. I always immediately disable the update notification in Options, and this stops all unwanted pop ups. I also disable all of the MoovieLive settings, etc... I just keep an eye out for update patches through the website.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 14. 2013 15:04

[Post New]
Why all this rigmarole to try to get a work-around?

This smells of a stunt to weed out the users of pirated software — which I don't care about in one respect, since my software is legitimate and bought directly from Cyberlink itself, but it makes me bloody ropeable that the legit users always seem to get held to ransom.

This will be more than a month of not being able to use my paid-for commercial software. That's shocking mismanagement, and Michael can say "thanks for your patience" all he likes, but since Cyberlink gives us no choice anyway, that's meaningless and somewhat thuggish.

*Helpless* said it beautifully in an early post in this thread; customer friendly looks differently in my eyes, as well.
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
The Hotfix Patch has been released

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/27519.page

br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
bwo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Should I go back to the original version now instead of the beta I was given?

In my case that means installing v.9 and upgrading to v.11. And I assume there's a bunch of patches that needs to be installed.

Another thing is that I've had audio issues in the upgraded v.11 (when switching from DVD to Blu-ray discs) and have to manually adjust the audio settings every time.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 15. 2013 04:16

[Post New]
137MB of hotfix? Sheesh.

What's Cyberlink going to do to fix the broken trust?

Either the company is totally incompetent to manage its own technology, or it simply doesn't give a toss about its paying customers. Either way, to release a hotfix after a month or more of the software being unusable without a murmur of acknowledgement for the problem or a gesture of support towards the inconvenience of its paying customers, simply doesn't cut it.

Like so many others, I'm seeking other solutions, and am resentful of the money I've given to Cyberlink for products that don't work and support issues that just go neglected.
John768 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 14, 2013 14:10 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Cause
There are some program compatibility issues between PowerDVD 11 v3318 patch and the Windows Update released in Feb 2013.

Sorry, but you're just lying here. I have two Windows 7 PC's with PowerDVD 11 (331, and Windows Update is disabled on both. The only difference is on one PC I configured the firewall to block internet access to all programs except a browser and a few others and on another I didn't. Guess what? PowerDVD on PC with firewall worked fine the whole time and PowerDVD with internet access got the error!
If you're still insist it's Windows Update fault you should give us the KB number.
Ekmar [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 03, 2013 17:01 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
What a waste of time with this patch! Still "no disc in drive" error...
You only can play old BDs, but no new BDs...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 15. 2013 16:06

dto1984 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 27, 2011 22:30 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Downloaded the hotfix, installed. And FINALLY I can play Skyfall again. I'm glad the issue is more or less fixed, but I've had an easier time having teeth pulled. Seriously, Cyberlink. After all the crap you've put your users through, a good will offering and an apology are in order. I don't expect either one, but surprise us.
Ekmar [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 03, 2013 17:01 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Working:
- THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN Blu-ray 3D (Sony)
- PROMETHEUS Blu-ray 3D (Fox)
- SPACE:1999 Blu-ray 3D (Laser Paradise)

Not working:
- DRAGON CRUSADERS - IM REICH DER KREUZRITTER UND DRACHEN Blu-ray 3D (The Asylum)
- HÄNSEL & GRETEL Blu-ray 3D (The Asylum/Great Movies)
- THE FIRE DRAGON CHRONICLES: DRAGON QUEST Blu-ray 3D (The Asylum)
- THE FIRE DRAGON CHRONICLES Blu-ray 3D (New KSM)
- MIDNIGHT CHRONICLES Blu-ray 3D (New KSM)
Mike2013cyb [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 03, 2013 22:17 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Cause
There are some program compatibility issues between PowerDVD 11 v3318 patch and the Windows Update released in Feb 2013.

Sorry, but you're just lying here. I have two Windows 7 PC's with PowerDVD 11 (331, and Windows Update is disabled on both. The only difference is on one PC I configured the firewall to block internet access to all programs except a browser and a few others and on another I didn't. Guess what? PowerDVD on PC with firewall worked fine the whole time and PowerDVD with internet access got the error!
If you're still insist it's Windows Update fault you should give us the KB number.

Yes, Michael of Cyberlink, not to be rude, but it is pretty insulting to blame this issue on "the latest Windows Update" or "the Windows Update released in Feb 2013." I would wager that the majority of people following this thread understand that Microsoft releases multiple updates at the same time, different updates for different versions of Windows, and certainly many more than one update over the course of an entire month. So have the explanations so far just been really sloppy or purposely deceptive? That's what we are all wondering when we consider whether or not we will ever pay good money for Cyberlink software again.
[Post New]
Believe me, Mike2013cyb , I share your annoyance with Cyberlink over this, but we have to be fair and stick to facts.

It could well have been a Microsoft update that broke PDVD's functionality — since the early days of Windows, Microsoft has had a habit of releasing updates (sometimes deliberately targetted ones) that change the way applications function, and leaving other companies to scramble to catch up in their coding. It's a predatory practice, sometimes casual and sometimes intentional, but it happens regularly. And Microsoft does release its updates in a monthly batch, so it's fair for Michael to talk about a "February 2013" update. It's also fair that it might take Cyberlink some time to fix what was broken.

Where I personally think Cyberlink's behaviour has been shoddy is in its silence. It has our software registrations and our contact details; any responsible commercial concern would have *at the very least* done a quick e.mail to its userbase and let them know what had happened, instead of what Cyberlink did, and leaving its users to flail around trying to find out why their system was no longer working.

It shouldn't be up to the users to chase the vendor in instances such as these, trying to find out what has happened. We're Cyberlink's customers, and Cyberlink has our money, which means it also has the responsibility to be pro-active in informing its clients why the product they have paid for no longer works.

Michael posted a notice here on the forum, but again that only alerts those who come looking for an answer. It's something, but it's not good enough. It's also worth noting the trouble users have had even getting a reply out of Cyberlink tech support, and the fact that Michael and Cyberlink are simply silent whenever dissatisfaction is raised, which shows that they're not interested in solving customer's issues.

Cyberlink has shown itself to be without integrity in the way this has been handled. If Cyberlink makes some effort to clean up its irresponsible treatment of its customers, then I'll continue to use its products. If not, I'm going elsewhere.

The ball's in your court, Cyberlink.
bwo [Avatar]
[Post New]
I agree 100% with Branais.
John768 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 14, 2013 14:10 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: It could well have been a Microsoft update that broke PDVD's functionality

Then how do you explain the fact that I've also got the problem with Windows Update turned off? I've even checked installed updates list to be sure - it's empty except for KB976902 which was always there, because it came preinstalled. Some people reported the same thing earlier in this thread.
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: It could well have been a Microsoft update that broke PDVD's functionality

Then how do you explain the fact that I've also got the problem with Windows Update turned off? I've even checked installed updates list to be sure - it's empty except for KB976902 which was always there, because it came preinstalled. Some people reported the same thing earlier in this thread.

Hmmm, good question, John. I can't. Though one possibility occurs to me: are you sure you haven't allowed updates of other apps, that might have also incorporated updates of certain system files? If an app needs the newer versions of the files for functionality, then it can't assume the user has done the Windows update, and sometimes they include the newer files in their own updates as well. That's a common way for problematic DLLs and the like to get propagated. If Cyberlink had released any information on what exactly was the source of PowerDVD's breakdown then we could all be in a better position to know for sure, and maybe even work out how to address the problem (at least temporarily). But unless, as has been suggested in these threads, it was some kind of certificate in Cyberlink's code that expired, then it seems to me that one way or another something had to have changed on your system for PowerDVD to stop working.

In my own case, near as I can tell, PDVD stopped working on my system at or near the same time I last allowed Windows to do the Microsoft updates, but I know that only shows coincidence, not causality. I'm not being an apologist for Cyberlink, but I don't think it's fair for Michael to be called a liar outright on a public forum.