Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Poor video quality when converting .mts format to mp4
Lee [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 27, 2009 05:06 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
I'm currently using the trial version of Power Director 8. When I add HD video (.mts), cut and edit the movie and then save to MP4 format, the video is extremely poor quality. I cannot see any options to change the video width, height, frame rate, bit rate etc. All I can see is the button to convert to portable MPEG-4, but no options to change the quality or size.

Is this missing in the trial version or is it not possible to change these parameters?

Thanks in advance.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Lee -

I can only assume that the options are the same in the trial version. In mpeg4, there are three profiles (only) - with no option to customise.

Producing in other formats (mpeg2 or AVC, for example) gives you (a) more options & (b) the ability to customise your profile.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
In the produce window choose H.264 AVC, this is mpeg4 in the format of .m2ts. Please don't ask me to explain why .mn2ts is mpeg4 as it makes my head hurt.

Cheers

Robert S My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Lee [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the replies.

It's a shame there are limited profiles with all formats because otherwise it's a very good program.

The only way I can see how to customize your finished movies to your own specs is to save in H.264 AVC, and then convert to MP4 with your required size, bit rate etc. with an AVCHD converter. It's a shame you can't do it directly from the program itself.
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Yes it is a shame we have to jump through so many hoops until the format war is sorted out. So many different versions of supposedly the same format makes editing any video a pain in the neck for consumers and software produces. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Lee [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes I agree about the formats.

It would be nice however to be able to change the dimensions for the available formats within power director, unfortunately as it is it's very limited.
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks for the replies.

It's a shame there are limited profiles with all formats because otherwise it's a very good program.

The only way I can see how to customize your finished movies to your own specs is to save in H.264 AVC, and then convert to MP4 with your required size, bit rate etc. with an AVCHD converter. It's a shame you can't do it directly from the program itself.

There are not 'limited' profiles with all formats. WMV, MPeg2, AVCHD and possibly more allow any profiles you want. Recently both Vimeo and YouTube added direct support for M2TS files, which is exactly what the AVCHD output is. Its H.264 (that conforms to part 12 or part 2 of the AVCHD specification, I can't remember) in an M2TS container with variable rate encoding. No need to convert before uploading and hardware acceleration is supported in PD8 which makes rendering much faster.

You're correct about the direct MP4 output having limited profiles, but things are moving the AVCHD direction, including many of the high end camcorders and even midrange cameras like panasonic ZS3/TZ7 directly output MTS files in the format of AVCHD Lite. Powerdirector edits these well and can dump them back out in AVCHD format which has the highest quality content compared to a similar bitrate of another format.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 27. 2009 21:00

Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
Robert2 S
[Post New]
On The Web you mention that youtube accepts m2ts videos. Have you had any success with that? The m2ts videos I have uploaded to youtube work for about 3 seconds then they fall apart, like this one. Vimeo handles the same video fine.

I would love to be able to use m2ts videos on youtube but have to use .wmv which does not take advantage of my graphics card acceleration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtTYX0K6NXw
http://www.vimeo.com/6826830

Cheers

Robert My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
The hardware acceleration video demo I just did is M2TS right out of PD8. Took about an hour before it went HD on youtube, but its up and running. Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
Robert2 S
[Post New]
Thanks, yours runs fine, I will try another m2ts upload to see if it works any better. I do shoot my videos at 1920X1080 and produce them to the same format if that makes any difference.

Cheers

OnTheWeb1
[Post New]
THe source for the demo video was 1918 x 1138 (Camstudio Screen Capture recording). Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
Lee [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the replies and information.

Saving in H.264 is fine and I'm happy with the custom settings. I never knew this was actually MP4.

Currently I convert my .mts files with a free AVCHD converter to MP4 files, the settings of this program help me reduce the file size without too much loss of quality. The converted .MP4 file can then be played on most media players.

With Power Director I can only save a low quality .MP4 portable file or custom .M2TS (H.264) which I'm told is also MP4 but is not recognised on most media players.

Now I'm more confused than ever.

As I said before the only way I can achieve a reasonable quality and low file size MP4 is to save as .M2TS in Power Director and then convert to MP4 in an external program.
Robert2 S
[Post New]
Hi Lee, video formats make the old beta-v-vhs look like childs play. Every camera maker and video producer seems to have a special format.

Here is a link explaining how h.264 is also mpeg4 but I warn you it will make your head hurt.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC

Cheers

OnTheWeb1
[Post New]
Have you looked at Cyberlink Espresso? It has built-in formats for Apple, Sony, Microsoft and other devices. It comes when you purchase PD8, at least it used to.

Its just a converter program, but it may be what you need to create compatible output formats for various devices and it can do many files at once in a batch job.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 28. 2009 00:10

Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
OnTheWeb1
[Post New]
And I just checked, Espresso outputs MP4 as one of its Youtube formats. You should check it out.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 28. 2009 00:10

Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
Robert2 S
[Post New]
Well I tried another video and the sound is breaking up the same as my other videos. It works for the first couple of seconds but after that it breaks up. So it looks like youtube still can't handle my m2ts videos.

I may try different sound settings in PD but as Vimeo handles it fine I think I will send youtube a message and get them to change their end instead of me chasing my tail.

Cheers

Robert S My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Lee [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the information everyone, it's much appreciated.

I'm happy with the rest of the program, it's certainly one of the most user friendly video editing programs I've come across, and the price is well worth it too.

Thanks
sheril [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 07, 2011 08:49 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Poor video quality after converting MTS video with fake application is obvious and may a times such converter program also damage the entire video file hence to get rid of such problems user is suggested to use MTS converter for Mac that is built with outstanding conversion procedure with organized and step by step frame converting MTS video to any desired video format.