Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector Showcase - Creating Planets
Elynde [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 16, 2019 04:50 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
I am not sure I should keep posting these in the forums, because I feel like I am the only one using this portion. Still, I figured something out that was too fun not to share.... How to make planets natively in PowerDirector!

Stock footage used in this tutorial is from the free Nebula pack on PremiumBeat. Their new Space Kit can be found here. However, I am fairly certain this stuff can be made using the Particle Designer, or easily enough irl using liquid in an aquarium or onto a sheet of glass....

Making Planets

2 Tracks. Track 1 is the background, Track 2 is the planet.

Fish Eye makes the planet look spherical. Choose your size to taste (I used 70), set Degree to 200. Use Mask Designer to mask the effect area into a circle.

Focus adds the sphere’s shadow. Break the Width and Height lock, and set to within 10 points of each other (41 and 50 in this tutorial example). This gets rid of the cat’s eye shape, rounding things out. Gradient Depth is 3, and Alpha Degree is 200-255. You want the outer ring shadow to be very dark for realism.

Use PiP to key-frame position, scale, and even rotation as desired.

Lens Flare is optional, but can add more depth to the planet when added to its layer (sphere highlights), or act as a mini sun. Flare 4 is very sun-like. Key-frame position if you want I nice “sunrise” or “sunset”.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I am not sure I should keep posting these in the forums, because I feel like I am the only one using this portion. Still, I figured something out that was too fun not to share.... How to make planets natively in PowerDirector!

I'm glad you're willing to post here, but please set the YT video to Public or Unlisted rather than Private (as it is now) so we can all see what you've come up with
Elynde [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 16, 2019 04:50 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]

I'm glad you're willing to post here, but please set the YT video to Public or Unlisted rather than Private (as it is now) so we can all see what you've come up with

That was my mistake. I thought I had that video set to share. foot-in-mouth It should work now.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Great work in creating a planet from scratch!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 13. 2020 09:06

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
That's really beautiful, and the subtle motions add to the realism.

Thanks very much for sharing your ideas here! We need more members to share their creativity like this đź‘Ť

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°