This is the response I received to my inquiry. It is non-specific and suggests that support does not know what the exact conflict is, even though it is quite specific, repeatable and experienced by multiple users.
"Set display parameters." "Update drivers." "Turn off Virus scanners." "Reinstall the software...."
This is a poor response.
Thank you for contacting CyberLink Online Support.
We understand your concern related with PowerDirector software.
To resolve the issue, please follow the steps to re-install the Power Director software:-
Note : Please make sure that you have logged in as an "Administrator".
1. Reset your display settings, screen area to 1024*768, color depth to 16 bit and monitor refresh rate to 60 HZ.
2. Please update your VGA card driver, sound card driver and capture card drivers. You may contact your computer manufacturer to get the latest drivers.
3. Please click on the link below to update DirectX drivers (DirectX 9.0c)
4. Increase Virtual memory :
a. Right click on "MyComputer"
b. Select Properties -> Advance
c. Click on "settings" under Performance.
d. Select "Advance"
e. Click on "change" under Virtual memory.
f. Select "Custom" and enter initial value as "512" and Max value as "3024".
5. Start Windows in Selective Startup mode.
a. Click on Start.
b. Click on Run.
c. Type msconfig and click on OK.
d. A System Configuration Utility window will come up.
e. On General tab, select Selective Startup.
f. Uncheck "Load Startup Items".
g. Click on Apply.
h. Click on OK.
i. Click on Close.
j. It will ask you to restart your computer. Click on "Restart".
6. Uninstall PowerDirector software:
a) Start--> Programs -->Cyberlink PowerDirector --> Uninstall PowerDirector.
b) Start --> Run --> type "regedit" --> click "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" --> click
"Software" --> click "Cyberlink" --> PowerDirector. Delete folder "PowerDirector".
c) Start --> Run --> type "regedit" --> click "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" --> click
"Software" --> click "Cyberlink" --> PowerDirector. Delete folder "PowerDirector". Reboot your PC.
7. Reinstall PowerDirector.
Before installing your program, please close your MSN messenger. Since we found that MSN messenger my lock some installation programs.
8. To avoid any compatibility issues, please close all
- other software and utility applications
- including virus scans, screen saver and
- instant messaging software
- close any ANTI-SPYWARE installed on your system
- close any popup blocker installed.
before you launch PowerDirector.
Use the below mentioned link to get back to us for immediate response for your further queries:
Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification or for any assistance related to Cyberlink Products.
Thank You and Best Regards.