Lately there have been few posts in the PD and DZ forums, asking if there is a way (using "only" PD), to highlight a moving object or character in a video clip.
One possible way (or workaround), is to use a combination of the Focus effect and Chroma Keying tool in PD. Perhaps others have discovered this combination as well. But for those who haven't, I've placed a mini tutorial at the links below, for anyone who may be interested.
1. The advantage of using Focus, is that you can move the focus area within the frame, without having to move the whole frame, or create a custom mask.
2. The disadvantage, is that the inner edge of the Focus effect is diffused. So applying Chroma Key, causes the highlight to have a bit of an irregular and erratic edge detail.
3. What is really needed, is a "Focus #2" effect (perhaps in the form of an update patch from Cyberlink), with a sharp inner edge, and that includes a...
- "Transparency" tool/slider for the background color (like in PIP Designer).
- "Duplicate Key Frame" option (like in PIP Designer).
4. In the linked example, a Black & White background option was used to contrast the delineation of the highlighted area. Other options would be to...
- Cover the general footage with a Color Board, and use the Transparency tool to change the color.
- Use the Color Adjustment tool (in Fix/Enhance), to manipulate the footage’s hue, brightness, and contrast.
5. A similar highlighting effect can accomplished by using a transparent PNG overlay, as seen here...
The only possible disadvantage of this method, is that it requires you to apply a highlight "on top" of ones footage, thus slightly obscuring it, depending on the amount of transparency that is applied.
As there is probably a better way (in PD), to highlight a moving object or character, the above Focus+Chroma Key method, is only offered as a possible option. However, with proper adjustments, it does appear to be a viable option, and is pretty straight forward in it's application.
This message was edited 14 times. Last update was at Feb 07. 2010 01:36