Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
What is PDHanumansvr.exe
[Post New]
This process is running eating up 50% of the CPU and I'm doing absolutely nothing. What exactly is it doing? PDR.EXE is sitting idle.

I'm trying to edit, but due to this process its very choppy when I play my clips. Can I kill it?

PD 7, just installed the latest patch yesterday
Win XP SP3
Dell Inspiron 9300 2GB RAM

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 06. 2009 22:30

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
When you work with HD video in PD, PD creates lower resolution shawdow files to speed the live editing process. PDHanumanSvr.exe performs that service. The CPU utilization usually drops off when the shawdow files are created. Keep in mind, this can take some time if the footage is long and/or your processor is on the slow side.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 07. 2009 00:20

vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Just to add to Jeff's info.

I'm led to believe that PDHanumanSvr.exe is limited to using a max of 50% of the CPU resources available at any one time so as not to affect other functions on the system.

Therefore using the system for other functions at the same time is likely to increase the time taken to generate shadow edit files.

Interestingly, in the earlier PD8beta versions (but just now I can't locate the exact details), the overall initial loading/processing times for .mp4 files was significantly slower on my system if I used my dual monitors rather than a single monitor. Didn't find out why though.

Cheers
Adrian

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 07. 2009 02:53

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
[Post New]
Thanks for the info. Question: Are shadow files necessary? I see they're kept in a sub directory of my documents, and I end up deleting them all from time to time. Is that OK?

Also, how do I know when the initial shadow file creation is complete?

Also, does PDR constantly update the shadow files each time I make an edit?
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
In PD7 you can turn off shadows by
Directors chair>edit>preferences>general>uncheck enable file processing.

In PD8 you can also manage (selectively delete) shadows in the same menu area.

PD8 also gives a yellow film strip icon on the HD clip in the media library when generating, turning to green when generated.

In PD7 its not so easy to judge except by looking at the processes in Task manager or checking the shadow edit file folder.

It can take quite a time -
in PD8 Five .mp4 720p clips 675Mb total took 18mins this am.
System Specs
XP MCE
Athlone 64X2 4600+ 2.4GHz 3GB RAM Radeon X1600 SATA 1x 500GB 1x 320GB 1x160GB 3 external Usb drives

In general, when things change but not always?, the shadows are sequentially numbered - filename_0, filename_1 etc .

However, the whole shadow file thing seems to be a bit of an unknown so.....

cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.