Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power Director 7 keeps crashing when editing
Glenn [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 15, 2009 20:30 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Hi There,

Just a Newbie to this forum, so would appreciate somebodies advice.

When editing a fairly long HD movie (approx 1.5hrs long) from my JVC HD40 camcorder in PowerDirector 7, the system keeps crashing.

This is usually when I am trying to shorten the length of an individual clip or delete one all together. I have a feeling it is because the system can't handle the big move of adjusting the complete timeline.

I also experienced a very strange phenomenon when editing a previous movie. Yes, it crashed 3000+ times and then the audio went out of sync with the image on all clips! Could it have just corrupted the images because it did crash so many times? I have never worked with such an unstable system. I use to work with Pinnacle with my old tape style camcorder and that gave no trouble whatsoever. It seems upgrading to a HD Camcorder has complicated everything in my quest for a better picture.

I also tried to download the patch 2227 but I get the error response "Can't load SKUtil.dll". I think it is trying to uninstall the program to install the patch but I am getting more and more confused.

Anyone have any tip, suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated as I am getting very frustrated with this?

Thanks,

Glenn

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 15. 2009 21:06

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hello Glenn -

My humble advice is as follows:

1. Spell somebody's like that... sorry - can't help myself.

2. When you're working on a huge thing like that - it's best to work on smaller sections and produce each one separately. At the end, you can combine each part in one single production.

3. There are issues with some JVC formats. Are they .MOD files by chance? If so, watch this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY-cKaCEUJ4

4. I'd also probably try to correct the problem before the 3000th crash!

Cheers -

Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Glenn,
One of the standard advice messages given when faced with a crash or popup warnings when installing a patch is to uninstall/re-install PD. The reason is simple, to clear the decks of a corrupt file.

However in your case you need to go further.

Please clear out your Temp files, Uninstall PD, Defrag your PC's Hard Drives, deal with reg data and then re-install. The defrag should be done regularly when video editing and will help prevent crashes. I also recommend a re-boot between uninstall and re-install.

Info to assist you:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/2405.page
Subject: PowerDirector - information we request and tasks to carry out.
PART C, PART P

Also:
I. Reboot PC.

Before carrying out part II please ensure you have ...... Go to Tools > Folder Options > View tab > Select "Show hidden files and folders"

II. Install Microsoft cleanup tool and clean PowerDirector installation information Install Microsoft cleanup tool and execute from "Start\all programs\WindowsInstaller Cleanup" To check if PowerDirector is on product list, If you can see PowerDirector in product list. Select
PowerDirector and click "Remove" button to clean up PowerDirector.
Microsoft cleanup tool: PART P

III. Remove PowerDirector folder and clean up PowerDirector Registry
Please try the following steps.
1. Remove C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector folder
2. Remove C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{CB099890-1D5F-11D5-9EA9-0050BAE317E1} folder
3. Run regedit (Start --> Run --> type "regedit" )
(1) Remove HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CyberLink\PowerDirector
(2) Remove
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{CB099890-1D5F-11D5-9EA9-0050BAE317E1}
(3) Remove
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\InstallShield Uninstall Information\{CB099890-1D5F-11D5-9EA9-0050BAE317E1}
(4) Remove
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\InstallShield_{CB099890-1D5F-11D5-9EA9-0050BAE317E1}

For information on Defrag - read the tips link below.

PD7 - image/tip guide resource for video editors
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/3522.page

PD7 - VIDEO guide resource for video editors
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/3523.page

Ok, I've loaded you up with information.... go read and digest.

Dafydd

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jul 16. 2009 03:36

Vidz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 03, 2009 00:09 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Hey ,

I used to get crashes too. However, i realised when i switchd off my Mcafee Firewall, everything went fine. Try switching off your firewalls!

Glenn [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for all the responses.

The Firewall trick seemed to stabilise the system and allowed me to edit my project fairly well without crashes.

The files created by my JVC camcorder save as .MTS files on my compture rather than .MOD, so I'm unsure if that effects anything and they still need to converted to AVI? I had to restart my project several times as well, as I found that somehow PD distorted the voice to image and I was creating "Spaghetti Westerns" with the voice out of sync with the image! I think the distortion occured due to the many crashes I experienced, as after I shut down the firewall and the system stabilised, this didn't seem to be a problem anymore.

I downloaded PD online and have ordered the back up disc, so I was reluctant to remove the program and do the clean up until I have the program disc in my hands. I'm sure I could make a copy of the downloaded program if I tried, but I haven't tried that before and am too focused on getting this one big project completed. Thanks for the suggestion and I will try this once I have the program disc.

The project finished up being about 6.5G, so I had to buy dual layer discs to burn it on. I tried burning the movie, but it kept crashing during the burn and I wasted 5 discs before I decided to try another tact. I produced an AVI file on my computer from the "produce" menu and then made a disc with Nero from that file. The only problem was it didn't recognise the chapters. I then managed to create a file from the "create" menu without highlighting the burn disc option. I have this file on my computer now and would like to produce/burn it with PD so that I may retain the chapters I created. Is this possible?

I greatly appreciate all the replies and advise and hope I can contribute as well to help other users through the video production maze.

P.S. "Somebodies" is the correct spelling of the plural of "Somebody" as defined in the Oxford dictionary! Sorry I just had to as well! :

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 18. 2009 19:05

Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Glenn,

Tony wrote:
My humble advice is as follows:

1. Spell somebody's like that... sorry - can't help myself.

Glenn wrote:
"Somebodies" is the correct spelling of the plural of "Somebody" as defined in the Oxford dictionary! Sorry I just had to as well!

Well I can’t resist either, hahaha! I think what Tony was indicating is…

Somebodies > is the [plural] of “somebody”
Somebody’s > is the [possessive case] of “somebody”
So… requesting “somebodies” help, would be stating that you “require” help from a group, or more than one person . However, requesting “somebody’s” help, would indicate that obtaining the correct answer from only one individual person, would suffice.

It’s really a matter of semantics I suppose.
But in this instance, I agree with Tonies correction.

I hope you get your PD issues sorted out. You’re getting good advice above, as opposed to what is being proffered in this post, hahaha.

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Gidday Glenn -

You've certainly put yourself on a steep learning curve while you're trying to produce a major project... it seems like you're getting there, so that's great. You've tried so many things out and learned plenty from each, by the sound of it - diving in at the deep end, so to speak!

You've raised a number of questions and made the odd provocative statement. OK - I'm sorry I made any comment about spelling. Even though that's not the point of this forum, when I see it on the screen it just whacks me in the face... a terrible affliction, it is. Before going on, I just want to point out that somebody's, as in "sombody's advice" is possessive, not plural. You are correct in your reference to the dictionary. The plural is, indeed, "sombodies". I won't mention tact/tack or advise/advice because this paragraph is already long enough!

Now - what were we talking about? Ah - video editing.

The files from my Canon are .mts files too - in fact m2ts files. That's just short for mpeg tranport system. MTS is the raw file of AVCHD video. You should not need to convert these to work in PD7, but it depends on the bitrate/settings you've used for recording. I have heard many reports of sound/image sync issues with some AVCHD files... not just with PD7 either.

I haven't used Nero but I'm surprised it didn't recognise the chapter structure. I've used imgburn many times with never an issue. I've hear and read people (way smarter than me) saying, "Forget Nero. Use imgburn." It's freeware.

What you need to do (you may have already done this) is - in the Create Disc section - select burn to DVD Folder. Then use Nero or imgburn to transfer that to your DVD.

There are some great write-ups about every stage of production at http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/3523.page - really worth a look.

Cheers -

Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 18. 2009 23:14

Glenn [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, I'm learning about my video editing procedures and getting a spelling and grammar lesson to boot!

I really do appreciate the tips and advice from people who understand the issues well.

Thank you!

P.S. Do you happen to know the correct link to download imgburn? I got on the website but couldn't identify the correct download link.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 19. 2009 04:23

ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi again Glenn -

This should do it - I'd select Mirror 8...

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Cheers -

Tony
Glenn [Avatar]
[Post New]
This is the error message I get when I try to burn my project in PD7.

Anyone know what this means please?

C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector\PDR.exe

Abnormal program termination
[Thumb - PD error message-1.jpg]
 Filename
PD error message-1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
23 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
279 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jul 20. 2009 02:54

Glenn [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK I have completely removed PD 7 from my computer including all the hidden reg files as suggested, downloaded the patches, reinstalled the program, the patches were accepted, but upon trying to burn my project I get this error message:

Can anybody suggest something new to try?

Thanks!
[Thumb - PD Error.jpg]
 Filename
PD Error.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
38 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
277 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 25. 2009 21:12

Glenn [Avatar]
[Post New]
I thought I would post the reply I received from CyberLink Technical Support relating to the "EB130581" error fault I received, as a number of other posters seem to have had the same issue.

I haven't tried the resolution suggested as yet, however hopefully this resolves the issue.

Dear Glenn,

Thank you for contacting CyberLink Technical Support.

We understand your concern related with PowerDirector 7.

Please follow the steps below to resolve the issue you are facing:

1. Start Windows in Selective Startup mode.

a. Click on Start.
b. Click on Run.
c. Type msconfig and click on OK.
d. A System Configuration Utility window will come up.
e. On General tab, select Selective Startup.
f. Uncheck "Load Startup Items".
g. Click on Apply.
h. Click on OK.
i. Click on Close.
j. It will ask you to restart your computer. Click on "Restart".

2. Increase Virtual memory :

a. Right click on "MyComputer"
b. Select Properties -> Advance
c. Click on "settings" under Performance.
d. Select "Advance"
e. Click on "change" under Virtual memory.
f. Select "Custom" and enter initial value as "2048" and Max value as "4096".

NOTE : If your current settings are higher, please do not change the settings.

Use the below mentioned link to get back to us for immediate response for your further queries:

>> http://www.CyberLink.com/english/cs/support/form/index.jsp <<

Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification or for any assistance related to CyberLink products.

Thanks and Regards
CyberLink Technical Support