Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 7 will record Video but not Audio
Loki [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 09, 2009 15:14 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,
I have a USB Capture device that I use with my Sony Camcorder, I am running Windows Vista and PowerDirector 7. When I go to Capture Video, it will allow me to Record the Video but not the Audio. I tried another program and it allowed me to record both video and audio. I like PowerDirector better but I can't get it to record audio which is important. If I could get some help that would be really great and I would be most appreciative. Thanks in advance.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Loki -

Have you tried Importing (media files), rather than "capturing"? Maybe that could make a difference, but I don't have a single clue why.

Cheers -

Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Loki,

This is a long shot here, but…
I have analog audio USB capture device (to capture audio from a cassette and phonograph player), that if I don’t have the sound profile properly set, won’t record any audio.

What I have to do when I use it, is to go to…
Start > Control Panel (classic view) > Sounds and Audio Devices > Audio (I then set both record and playback to “USB Device”) > Voice (I then set both record and playback to “USB Device”)
And now my audio capture device will work.

I don’t know if this will also apply to, or help with, your video capturing process and the missing audio, but as it is also a USB capturing device… it might?

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Loki [Avatar]
[Post New]
I am trying to capture video from a Camcorder so I don't think importing will work. I tried changing the Audio preferences, I can get audio but it isn't actual audible. I have turned the record/input volume all the way up and you can still barely hear it. Ulead works just fine. I guess I will have to capture it using Ulead and edit using PowerDirector. The only bad part is PowerDirector gives me better video quality.
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Loki,

OK, here's another thought, though it may not be a better solution than using Ulead to capture, if PD7 doesn't give you usable audio.
(BTW, in PD7, you do have the Master Volume and the audio sliders/faders in the Audio Room set to maximum, right?)

If you do have some (barely audible) audio in the clip (when you capture with PD7), you might try to right click on the clip while it's up in the library, and choose Extract Audio. This will create a separate .wav audio only file of the video clip. Then export that .wav file to an outside audio editor to see if you can boost the volume. Then, if that yields acceptable results, import that new boosted audio file back into PD7 and place it in one of the audio tracks directly under you clip in the timeline.

You could also try Extracting the audio from the Ulead capture, once placed in PD7's library, and use that audio (as described above), with the PD7 captured video. Though sync issues may arise in trying to do it that way.

I know what you're thinking Loki, and the answer is yes. I do build very complicated mouse traps, hahaha.
Hopefully a more knowledgeable member will chime in with a better solution.

Good Luck.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 09. 2009 23:05

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Loki -

I don't profess to know much, but it doesn't sound too hard really.

Plug in the device. Go to My Computer and locate the device. Open it and find the files you want. Drag them into a folder of you choice. Open PD. Click on Import media. Locate the folder with the files. Click on them and they will be in the library!

If you do all that and the sound is missing, well - er - um - there may be something odd about the file... yet it imports into your other editor.

I'd say it's worth a try.

Cheers -

Tony
Cranston
[Post New]
Hi Tony & Loki, (sounds a like comedy team from the 50's)

I think I have totally misinterpreted Loki's situation here. I was assuming, since a USB capture device is in this equation, that Loki is try to capture analog video from an analog video camera (in lieu of using a vcr).

Sorry guys.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Loki,
What's the camera, make = Sony, but what's the model?

This is important.

Thanks

Dafydd
Loki [Avatar]
[Post New]
You are correct Cranston I am trying to record video from an Analog video camera to my computer. I am using a Sony CCD-TRV108 Camcorder and a EASYCAP USB 2.0 Video Audio TV VHS DVD Capture Adapter. I have no way to Import the video because I have not captured it yet. That is what I am trying to do. I will see if I can export the Audio and use Sound Recorder or a similar program to edit the wav file. I know we can get this figured out soon. : )
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Loki,

Might be worth checking that your soundcard drivers are up to date?

There is definitely a range of opinion out there as to the ease of use but there are also some utube videos on it.

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Sorry Loki -

I didn't read your post properly at all. No wonder I couldn't see what the problem was! Cranston - why didn't you just tell me? You're way too polite brother! My apologies anyway.

If Ulead is able to capture the audio & video, doesn't that indicate that the camera + capture device + PC combination is working? I'll leave it as a question because I don't have an answer... apart from that really good answer I put before to the wrong question

Cheers -

Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 10. 2009 17:16

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
PD7 has an issue with Hi8 - no longer supported.

Using the adapter is the solution.

EasyCap USB2.0 Video Adapter with Audio.

Please check your audio settings on your PC for the USB device. Looks to me the issue is pretty small and to do with the selection.

Once you have the video on your computer it can be found and edited by PD.

Dafydd

ynotfish
[Post New]
Now THAT'S an answer!

Dafydd - I'll have to stop looking at this screen - I was sure I just saw that little green light flickering on and off...

Tony
Loki [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the info Dafydd, That should help out alot. Perhaps I should try an older version of PD. or maybe better yet just get a new camera. Thanks for the help guys.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Just a thought, I assume you are using the S-Video jack, if so, remember you must also use the red/white (left, right) RCA jacks too. A friend of mine a while ago thought it was RCA or Svideo but Svideo does not support audio.

Jeff
Loki [Avatar]
[Post New]
I am just using the RC jacks yellow/red/white. I am not using the S-Video for some reason the video quality is poor using the S-video.
Tara [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 05, 2010 17:36 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I am having the same issue where I am wanting to combine 2 small 30 minutes home movie discs into one. I was able to capture both of them but cannot get the audio in it. Can anyone please help me?