Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Workarounds for audio/video sync problems and sound lag
Elisabeth G.
Newbie Location: Canada Joined: Apr 21, 2009 16:21 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
I’ve edited 22 home movies using PowerDirector (6 movies using PowerDirector 7). I have problems with the audio going out of sync (the sound lags behind the video – it looks like a bad dubbing job) in about 75% of my projects. This problem has persisted in spite of upgrading computers, un-installing re-installing PowerDirector, applying all software patches. The audio sync problem is inexistent in the original AVI files that I work with. Here are all my workarounds, please add your own to this list...

GENERAL NOTES
- Stop and fix the problem as soon as it is noticed.
- I edit my movies in a linear fashion (from start to finish). This makes it easier to detect and fix audio sync problems as they arise.
- Audio sync problems are more likely in movies with more complex editing. Fixing the lighting and colour and adding transitions seems especially likely to cause problems.
- Un-installing, re-installing and applying patches for PowerDirector takes about 20 minutes. I do this at least once per movie.
- Opening and closing a file can trigger audio sync problems. The more times a file is opened, the worse the audio sync problem becomes.
- Large fragmented video files seem to cause more problems. I keep all my video files on a dedicated drive that I defragment frequently.

SITUATION 1
: Audio goes out of sync after adding a specific transition between clips.
- WORKAROUND 1: Remove the offending transition.

SITUATION 2: Audio goes out of sync at a specific moment on the timeline, for example at 22'09" (no sync problems before this time, sync problem after this time).
- WORKAROUND 2A: Delete all clips AFTER 22’09” from the timeline. Re-import them to the timeline. If this doesn’t work, try the next step...
- WORKAROUND 2B: Delete all clips BEFORE 22,09” from the timeline. Undelete. If this doesn’t work, try the next step...
- WORKAROUND 2C: Produce the movie in two parts - Part 1 runs from 0'0" to 22'09". Import “Part 1” to the timeline. This may be enough to resync the rest of the audio. If the audio is still out of sync from 22’09”, try the next step...
- WORKAROUND 2D: Edit the remainder of the clips as a new project. Produce a file “Part 2”. Make sure the audio is in sync. Create a new project file. Import both “Part 1” and “Part 2” into the timeline. If this doesn’t work, try the next step...
- WORKAROUND 2E: Re-install PowerDirector. Open a new project. Import Part 1 and Part 2 to the timeline. If this still doesn’t work...
- WORKAROUND 2F: Start the project over from scratch. This really sucks.

SITUATION 3: Modifying the colour/lighting makes the audio go out of sync.
- WORKAROUND 3: Re-install PowerDirector

SITUATION 4: Audio suddenly goes out of sync when you open the file/insert chapter points/burn the file/produce the file/make a minor modification/open a hitherto perfect project
- WORKAROUND 4: Save the project with a different name every time (e.g. Project_1, Project_2, Project_3). At the very least, a different file name for every 15 minutes of timeline, before you add the chapter points, before modifying the menu, before producing the final file. If the audio suddenly goes out of sync, re-install PowerDirector, then open one of the last known good version of your project.

SITUATION 5: You notice an audio sync problem after the entire project is completed and you’ve produced the final file.
- WORKAROUND 5 (The brute force method): Open a blank project. Import the file to the timeline. Extract the audio. Mute the audio on the clip. Drag the extracted audio to the audio track. Manually sync the audio to the video.

SITUATION 6: Nothing works.
- WORKAROUND 6: Buy a different software. I’m only sort of joking. I like the features and the price, but I lose countless hours with every movie simply debugging. For every hour movie editing, I spend about 20-30 minutes debugging.

MY COMPUTER INFORMATION
Processor: AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual core 3800+ 2.01 GHz, 2.93 GB of RAM
Video card: NVDIA GeForce 6100
Sound card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Microsoft Windows XP home edition, Version 2002. Service Pack 3.

Hans-Henrik [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 02, 2012 10:21 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I hate to see you have had these problems, as I have just bought PowerDirector10 and I seem to have the same problems. It must be a known issue to Cyberlink...
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Elizabeth

Thanks for the information

I use to have identical problems when I was using a similar spec computer as you, here's what I did:

1. Turn off Shadow Edit files in Preferences

2. Made small high quality (same as source video) Produced clips no more than 5 minutes long.

3. Put all of these small Produced clips in the timeline - eg 60 minute old project now 12 x 5 mins clips

4. Produced again to same profile as before into one 60 minute finished project

This (although cumbersome) process eliminated 99% of my out of sync issues

Happy editing

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 17. 2014 23:43

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

M13 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 28, 2009 20:25 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Here's an idea......maybe....just maybe.....CYBERLINK SHOULD FIX THE PROBLEM! It wasn't a problem for me before, but now EVERY video I make has out of sync audio. And my computer is fairly top of the line. And I love how every time I open PD I have an ad telling me to buy the latest one....."spend more of your money on a program that doesn't work!" Yeah....great.
Megan1414 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 22, 2012 13:30 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Wow - so this is a major problem for others too...

I'm sorry it's affecting everyone, but VERY happy the problem isn't with my brand new computer...
M13 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 28, 2009 20:25 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Just now I produced a video ten times. Only one of the results had correct audio. But that one had blocky video. Even though it was Best Quality MP4. I've used Power Director for 6 years now......maybe it's time for something new.
Kevin R.
Contributor Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas Joined: Aug 17, 2010 15:58 Messages: 320 Offline
[Post New]
A couple of questions for you.

When you are editing, are you using the audio from the clip itself or are you using a separate audio track?

If you are using a separate audio track, are you LOCKING the audio track before you try to edit the video?

I prefer to separate my audio and use it in an audio track personally. I lock the audio track and then edit the film to fit the sound and have good results.

I hope this helps, as I did not see that mentioned in your workarounds.

Good Luck
Kevin R. Saving the world, one goofy video and meme at a time.
Viacheslav [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 14, 2012 00:32 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I had the same problem. The project with several video formats, transitions, effects and so on. MP3 on the background. The problem was the music itself! When I converted it from VBR to CBR, everything became fine.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Please don't hijack another editor's thread. Start a new topic for your issue.

Thread locked.

Forum Moderator