Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Capturing / Converting VHS tapes ?
albertgarrido [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 09, 2017 09:13 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
I have a dozen or so VCR tapes that I'd like to convert to digital format and create DVD's out of. Believe it or not, I still do have an old VCR!!

A couple of questions that hopefully someone can help me with.

1. Any suggestions on which video signal converter would work well with PD15 and Windows 10?

2. When I click on "Capture" on PD15, I don't see option for VCR.......what would I use then...do I use the "Capture from CamCorder"

Any suggestions and tips would be GREATLY appreciated!!

PS I'm very new to PD and video editing in general but after doing my first video production...I'm starting to really enjoy this!

Thank you!

Al
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I use a Hauppage device which is very dependable. From VCR>Hauppage>USB port.
I can use it with any software, including PD capture. The signal appear as TV Signal in PD.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 16. 2017 15:08

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
pmikep [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Nov 26, 2016 22:51 Messages: 285 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I use a Hauppage device which is very dependable. From VCR>Hauppage>USB port.
I can use it with any software, including PD capture. The signal appear as TV Signal in PD.

Hi Barry: Got a model number for your Hauppauge? Does yours recieve OTA digital TV?
albertgarrido [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I use a Hauppage device which is very dependable. From VCR>Hauppage>USB port.

Hi Barry: Got a model number for your Hauppauge? Does yours recieve OTA digital TV?

Yes...I'd like to know which model also. All different types on website but I'm new to this so not sure which one.

Thank you in advance!
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Hauppage 850

But there is more to VHS conversion...
the quality of the machine, the tape itself, what cables (S-video?), time base correction, too.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 17. 2017 22:09

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
albertgarrido [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hauppage 850

But there is more to VHS conversion...
the quality of the machine, the tape itself, what cables (S-video?), time base correction, too.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I'm a little surprised. The item you mention seems to have a coaxial connection. You saying should connect the VCR through that connection?

I would have expected you were going to suggest this device:

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/webstore2/webstore_usblive2.html

What am I not understanding?

By the way...not sure why your name is BarryTheCrab. You seem like a very nice fellow! :

Thank you in advance!
pmikep [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Nov 26, 2016 22:51 Messages: 285 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hauppage 850The item you mention seems to have a coaxial connection. You saying should connect the VCR through that connection?

I have a similar USB stick. I has a mini-S type looking connector on its side, and it came with an adapter cable that breaks out in to S connector and RCA plugs for component video. Perhaps Barry's does too?
albertgarrido [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hauppage 850The item you mention seems to have a coaxial connection. You saying should connect the VCR through that connection?

I have a similar USB stick. I has a mini-S type looking connector on its side, and it came with an adapter cable that breaks out in to S connector and RCA plugs for component video. Perhaps Barry's does too?

I actually found this on the web.USB-2-0-Audio-Video-VHS-to-DVD-PC-Converter-Capture-Card-Adapter

Its only $10 so may be worth a shot.

But I'd really like Barry's take on this as he seems like the expert.

Thanks in advance!

Al
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]

My 850 has a USB port on the side to adapt RCA and S-video, and the coax connector is for either cable or antenna (antenna included).

As for referring to me as "expert"? I like that! Deserved? Well, others can judge, I just have a few tapes behind me and a good grasp of what works. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You need to start using Reply to this topic instead of Reply. There is nothing needed to be quoted in this post. You are not editing the quotes in the post which is causing the nested loops and creating these post formatting errors seen here. It makes it hard for other users to determine who said what.
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Quote You need to start using Reply to this topic instead of Reply. There is nothing needed to be quoted in this post. You are not editing the quotes in the post which is causing the nested loops and creating these post formatting errors seen here. It makes it hard for other users to determine who said what.
This new and improved forum is a stinker. It is far too easy to screw the pooch and I rarely try to apply quotes anymore. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
websiteee [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 27, 2017 08:22 Messages: 72 Offline
[Post New]
1 Connect your VHS video player to your PC using the cable or cables supplied with your chosen software.

2 The process of digitizing your VHS tapes should be straightforward enough.

3 Stop the recording software at the end of the video, and stop the video itself.
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Yes, Amy, as long as the capture device is recognized it goes along fairly simply. In most cases you will get a satisfactory capture, retaining a great deal of the original quality (not much Q with VHS!). If the person doing the capturing is really keyed in to getting every last bit of information in an orderly fashion from the tape, then it can get a little more complicated. The quality of the machine is very important, how clean the heads are, what is your connection cable choice. If your machine does not have internal TBC do you have a connected device? There is a ton of information on the internet, including best machines, Sharp scores well, as do many JVC and Pannys. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)