Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Produced video not moving - audio is OK
[Post New]
I want to use PowerDirector to edit (mostly, cut out some clips and join them together) video from old VHS tapes.

Problem at the moment is that when I "Produce" the trimmed video, the output shows only the intitial frame though the audio track plays for the correct length of the clip. This whether I trim off front and back, or just select part and use the "Produce Range" button.

The captured video is .MP4 H264 plus AAC audio. It was captured using an EasyCAP device, and plays fine as an entire file.

I am setting the output to MP4 with default settings and PAL-UK

I am quite new to PowerDirector so I may be doing something wrong... but I have tried the same process on some GoPro video, also .MP4 H264 (though widescreen, my VHS is 4:3) and it worked OK. The VHS file has about 30 minutes of video, the GoPro test clips just a few minutes - could this be a problem?

Any thoughts on what might be going wrong?
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I want to use PowerDirector to edit (mostly, cut out some clips and join them together) video from old VHS tapes.

Problem at the moment is that when I "Produce" the trimmed video, the output shows only the intitial frame though the audio track plays for the correct length of the clip. This whether I trim off front and back, or just select part and use the "Produce Range" button.

The captured video is .MP4 H264 plus AAC audio. It was captured using an EasyCAP device, and plays fine as an entire file.

I am quite new to PowerDirector so I may be doing something wrong... but I have tried the same process on some GoPro video, also .MP4 H264 (though widescreen, my VHS is 4:3) and it worked OK. The VHS file has about 30 minutes of video, the GoPro test clips just a few minutes - could this be a problem?

When you produce the range you are taken to the produce page? What settings are you choosing there?

When the range has been produced and you are still in the produce page, does the clip play properly if you click play.

Once produced, is the clip being sent to the media library in the edit page? If so, will it play properly if you select it and press play under the preview screen?

What version of PD is this and what build number (top right of the program)? Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
[Post New]
Quote I want to use PowerDirector to edit (mostly, cut out some clips and join them together) video from old VHS tapes.

When you produce the range you are taken to the produce page? What settings are you choosing there?

When the range has been produced and you are still in the produce page, does the clip play properly if you click play.

Once produced, is the clip being sent to the media library in the edit page? If so, will it play properly if you select it and press play under the preview screen?

What version of PD is this and what build number (top right of the program)?

Thanks for the response. I have been away for a few days but just looking at this problem again...

The version is 12.0.3617 (64 bit) - That's the free download, I may go to a full/newer version if, after use, I like PD.

When I produce a range, or go from edit to the produce tab, it seems to behave as I would expect: I choose (for example) MPEG-4 640x480/25 UK-PAL and press start. It then seems to "produce" for example taking 30sec for a 2 minute clip. the clip then appears in media library, and I can see it in the nominated folder. But the clip produced shows only the first frame, though the clip seems to run for the correct length - with audio playing correctly. This happens whether I am looking at the produced clip within PD, or using a player like VLC or Media Player. HOWEVER... although the clip does not play while I am still on the produce page, if I stop the video and move the cursor on the bar beneath, I can step through the video and when I stop and press play, it then shows a frozen frame from that point, and playing audio.

My first guess was some basic error in the way I am using PD, but I have run the same process on some GoPro video and it works fine.

Thanks for any further comments.
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]

Thanks for the response. I have been away for a few days but just looking at this problem again...

The version is 12.0.3617 (64 bit) - That's the free download, I may go to a full/newer version if, after use, I like PD.

When I produce a range, or go from edit to the produce tab, it seems to behave as I would expect: I choose (for example) MPEG-4 640x480/25 UK-PAL and press start. It then seems to "produce" for example taking 30sec for a 2 minute clip. the clip then appears in media library, and I can see it in the nominated folder. But the clip produced shows only the first frame, though the clip seems to run for the correct length - with audio playing correctly. This happens whether I am looking at the produced clip within PD, or using a player like VLC or Media Player. HOWEVER... although the clip does not play while I am still on the produce page, if I stop the video and move the cursor on the bar beneath, I can step through the video and when I stop and press play, it then shows a frozen frame from that point, and playing audio.

My first guess was some basic error in the way I am using PD, but I have run the same process on some GoPro video and it works fine.

Let's try and get some basics: When the problem clip is in the Media Library, right click on it and select properties in the screen that opens. If possible post a screen shot, if not, tell us what it says about your video.

To clarify: Will this clip play if you highlight it and then select PLAY on the preview screen. Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
[Post New]

Let's try and get some basics: When the problem clip is in the Media Library, right click on it and select properties in the screen that opens. If possible post a screen shot, if not, tell us what it says about your video.

To clarify: Will this clip play if you highlight it and then select PLAY on the preview screen.

The clip does not play correctly from anywhere - you can see the visual and audible result here:

<a>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYOFYqgFLm0</a>

There are scroll bars on the properties dialog box so I have retyped the properties.

File Type for the clip that wont play: MP4 size 83.74MB

Video: H.264 AVC Original duration 22:33:03 500.0kbps 640x480 25 fps 4:3 High Profile Progressive

Audio: AAC 48kHz 128Kbps Stereo

For the original capture from VHS: MP4 size 673.57MB

Video: H.264 AVC Original duration 49:01:01 1898.0kbps 720x576 25 fps 4:3 High Profile Progressive

For the GoPro source clip produced correctly: MP4 size 17.77MB

Video: H.264 AVC Original duration 00:24:22 5.98Mbps 640x480 25 fps 16:9 High Profile Progressive

The Shadowman
[Post New]

To clarify: Will this clip play if you highlight it and then select PLAY on the preview screen.

The clip does not play correctly from anywhere - you can see the visual and audible result here:

There are scroll bars on the properties dialog box so I have retyped the properties.

Video: H.264 AVC Original duration 22:33:03 500.0kbps 640x480 25 fps 4:3 High Profile Progressive

Video: H.264 AVC Original duration 49:01:01 1898.0kbps 720x576 25 fps 4:3 High Profile Progressive

Video: H.264 AVC Original duration 00:24:22 5.98Mbps 640x480 25 fps 16:9 High Profile Progressive

When the clip is in the timeline, and not playing, do you see the various scenes as you look along the the timeline or do only see the car from start to finish? Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
The Shadowman
[Post New]

When the clip is in the timeline, and not playing, do you see the various scenes as you look along the the timeline or do only see the car from start to finish?

Here's my guess and it's open for anyone else to who would have a more knowledgable idea.

I think that for some reason PD has taken a dislike to this particular clip. To test my theory use something like the free Format Factory to convert the file to exactly the same specification as the original and try playing again. I have a feeling it will work Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
[Post New]

When the clip is in the timeline, and not playing, do you see the various scenes as you look along the the timeline or do only see the car from start to finish?

Once the clip is produced, if I put it into the main timeline (the EDIT screen), then all the scenes are just the first frame.

However, immediately after production, with the clip in the top right window (the PRODUCE screen), as I drag the pointer across the scenes do change - as i described earlier, but the video does not play.

BTW, don't laugh - that's my car as I found it one morning!
The Shadowman
[Post New]

Once the clip is produced, if I put it into the main timeline (the EDIT screen), then all the scenes are just the first frame.

However, immediately after production, with the clip in the top right window (the PRODUCE screen), as I drag the pointer across the scenes do change - as i described earlier, but the video does not play.

It's not funny, I know how you feel.

Apart from converting the file as I suggested above, have you tried to produce the original a second time. You must still have The PDS file available. Load the PDS file in the timeline SAVE AS a different name then do a full produce. If you have shadow files enabled switch them off. Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
[Post New]

It's not funny, I know how you feel.

Apart from converting the file as I suggested above, have you tried to produce the original a second time. You must still have The PDS file available. Load the PDS file in the timeline SAVE AS a different name then do a full produce. If you have shadow files enabled switch them off.

I have tried it a few times, with different clips - but I think all from the same VHS capture. I will try another tape - and the FF - and see what happens.