where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Timelapse - color adjusting multiple images at once
Reply to this topic
Andre'
[Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Jan 10, 2017 03:55 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi there.....seem unusually stuck on something, But I'm afraid I already know the answer....so maybe a workaround?

I'm trying to do some timelapse with mutliple images. Some need color adjusting in one way, others (other scenes, essentially) need adjusting with different numbers.

Now I can hit fix/enhance and then go to color adjustment for one photo - or one movie clip. I know this. But I need to color adjust multiple photos all at once. But apparently you can't grab a certain set of photos and adjust all at once (which you can in Magix).

There's no way you can write down all the numbers of all the different adjustments you do, and then go and do these individually to 30 - 100 photos. That'd be insane.

I know there is a "apply to all" button - but that (presumably) applies these changes to EVERYTHING in your edit view. I could not use that. Because a different set of photos require different adjustments.

So is there a workaround to applying changes to multiple photos at once in PD15? I'm not seeing it.

Does the answer perhaps lie in "packing up" project materials? Then bring them back into a project (after you've adjusted then packed them up)? But will that degrade the end product quality at all?

Thanx
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 8530 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Andre' -

Agreed, it's a bit of a difficulty not being able to apply specific adjustments to a defined set of images. I can also see that - particularly for time lapse - making different adjustments to different groups of photos may cause "flow" issues.

If that's necessary in your cae, I'd edit the images in photo software where you can apply the same adjustment simply to large groups of photos.

If you can't do that, here's a PDR workaround you may or may not like. Let's say you need to apply 3 different adjustments to different groups of photos...

1. Open a project containing the first set of photos - make the adjustment - apply to all - Save the project as (say) TL_1

2. Open a separate project with the second lot of photos - make the adjustment - apply to all - Save the project as (say) TL_2

3. Open a separate project with the third lot of photos - make the adjustment - apply to all - Save the project as (say) TL_3

... so now you have 3 separate projects, with photos adjusted, ready to combine.

1. Open project TL_3 & save as "TimeLapse"

2. With timeline marker at 00:0:00:00, Insert project TL_2

3. With timeline marker at 00:00:00:00, Insert project TL_1

4. Save combined project

Of course, if you aren't adjusting sequential photos in the same way that workaround isn't so good!

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
JL_JL
[Avatar]
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 3133 Offline
[Post New]
"Apply to all" color adjustment can be on a video track. Maybe it would fit your work flow to just put the various groups of photos needing different group adjustments on different video tracks, still all side by side in timeline sense. That would give you 99 groupings of adjustments.

Jeff
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 8530 Offline
[Post New]
DOH! embarassed

Forget my earlier post and follow Jeff's suggestion. Much more elegant way to achieve the same thing.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Andre'
[Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Jan 10, 2017 03:55 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
thanx to both of you!!!

wrote: "Apply to all" color adjustment can be on a video track. Maybe it would fit your work flow to just put the various groups of photos needing different group adjustments on different video tracks, still all side by side in timeline sense. That would give you 99 groupings of adjustments.

Jeff

so by putting the sets of photos on different tracks....hitting apply to all will only affect that track? Really? wow. That's GREAT.

I wound up using the "packup materials" method (adjusting one set, then packing it up as one project, etc)....then "import project"" for each one and that did work. Extra work though.

And by different tracks...you mean the timelines underneath the first timeline...correct?

Now once i've adjusted those on a different track....and then move them up to the main track....will that undo the changes? because the transitions between scenes will be difficult to make with so much work space between the tracks. Do you know?
JL_JL
[Avatar]
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 3133 Offline
[Post New]
Andre wrote:
so by putting the sets of photos on different tracks....hitting apply to all will only affect that track? Really? wow. That's GREAT.
Correct, the color adjustment will affect all pics on that particular video track

Andre wrote: And by different tracks...you mean the timelines underneath the first timeline...correct?.
Correct, the are labeled 1, 2, 3, ... so on, you can add more video tracks with a icon to the left of the timeline

Andre wrote: Now once i've adjusted those on a different track....and then move them up to the main track....will that undo the changes? because the transitions between scenes will be difficult to make with so much work space between the tracks. Do you know?
You can move them back to the main track but you do not have to. As long as they are spaced correctly on the timeline when you produce the video they will all be consecutive pics, even though they are on different video tracks. If you move them back to the main video track they will retain the color correction you applied to that unique group. Transitions can be added as pre, post, cross or overlap. You can apply pre and post clip transitions on individual clips on any video track. For cross or overlap, the transition needs to span pics that are on the same video track.

Jeff
Reply to this topic