Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
where is my time-line
Erik Havinga [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 31, 2014 08:53 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Hi there, hope you can understand my -poor- English.

I am busy with my holiday-film. On Saturday I saved and closeded down normally. On Sunday, I opened the same pds-file (properly closed on saturday, time and date are oke) and my time-line is not shown. I haven't had this problem before and I allready stuck some hours in working on this film so I am rather frustrated. Al my titles, subtitles and transitions (is that the correct word?) are gone. My OS is Windows 7, Powerdirector version 13.

Who can help me, please.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

KInd regards

Erik
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi there, hope you can understand my -poor- English.

I am busy with my holiday-film. On Saturday I saved and closeded down normally. On Sunday, I opened the same pds-file (properly closed on saturday, time and date are oke) and my time-line is not shown. I haven't had this problem before and I allready stuck some hours in working on this film so I am rather frustrated. Al my titles, subtitles and transitions (is that the correct word?) are gone. My OS is Windows 7, Powerdirector version 13.

Who can help me, please.

KInd regards

Erik

Hello Erik

Sorry to read of your problems.

So as we can get a better understanding of you missing timeline, could you post a screenshot of what you see when you open PD.

This would be most helpful

Also when you open PD are you able to see and select FILE - OPEN PROJECT. If so, is your saved PDS file there? And what happens if you select it?

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Erik Havinga [Avatar]
[Post New]

Who can help me, please.

KInd regards

Erik

Hello Erik

So as we can get a better understanding of you missing timeline, could you post a screenshot of what you see when you open PD.

Also when you open PD are you able to see and select FILE - OPEN PROJECT. If so, is your saved PDS file there? And what happens if you select it?

Robert

Thanks Robert for your quick response. In the attachment you will find a screenshot when i open PD. When I go to file-Open project i can see my saved file, called Ecuador Galapagos 2016.

When I choose for open file, the software strats importing the files and i get this screen (attachment 3). The green icons in the individual scenes are not familiar to me, I havent seen them before.

Hope you this is the info you ask for. Is it helpfull?
[Thumb - attch 3.PNG]
 Filename
attch 3.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
attch 3
 Filesize
512 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
45 time(s)
[Thumb - erik2.PNG]
 Filename
erik2.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
saved PDS-file.
 Filesize
307 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
42 time(s)
[Thumb - erik1.PNG]
 Filename
erik1.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
PD opened
 Filesize
446 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
41 time(s)
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]

Who can help me, please.

KInd regards

Erik

Hello Erik

Robert

Thanks Robert for your quick response. In the attachment you will find a screenshot when i open PD. When I go to file-Open project i can see my saved file, called Ecuador Galapagos 2016.

When I choose for open file, the software strats importing the files and i get this screen (attachment 3). The green icons in the individual scenes are not familiar to me, I havent seen them before.

Hi Erik

Let's try one thing first. You say that you haven't seen the little green icon before. Well that icon indictes that "shadow files" are being used by Power Director. So let's try turning them off and see if it makes a difference.

Go to EDIT - PREFERENCES - an then uncheck Enable HD video processing.

I'm hoping that will do the job, especially as you haven't seen the icon before, it must mean something.

See how you get on

Robert

PS If you do use shadow files, ALL the clips in the library must be green and not yellow before you start to edit or some very strange things can happen. It's a good idea to turn them off for now.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 21. 2016 14:26

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The screenshots show that your computer is running very slow, hence the screen refresh problem. This could mean that your pc is low on virtual memory or you are running out of hard drive space. A simple shutdown and power up could free up some memory and fix the problem. You may have to wait a long time for the timeline videos to show up.

It looks like that you may have added some corrupt files to the timeline causing the problem. In such situation get the backup project from the autosave if you did not rename the pds file to save after each session.

To avoid possible mistakes like this you may want to split a large project to several small ones and combine them in the end. Save each edited session with a different file name. This way you always have backups of pds files.
Erik Havinga [Avatar]
[Post New]

Who can help me, please.

KInd regards

Erik

Hello Erik

Robert

Hi Erik

Let's try one thing first. You say that you haven't seen the little green icon before. Well that icon indictes that "shadow files" are being used by Power Director. So let's try turning them off and see if it makes a difference.

I'm hoping that will do the job, especially as you haven't seen the icon before, it must mean something.

See how you get on

Robert

PS If you do use shadow files, ALL the clips in the library must be green and not yellow before you start to edit or some very strange things can happen. It's a good idea to turn them off for now.

Hi Robert,

followed your instructions and the icons are gone. Restarted PD but the timeline still not appears.

When I select the frames and drag them to the timeline, I get a message (see attachment) about a conflict of framerates. This is also what I saw when I started this project a month ago. Strange, isnt it.

Also I face this (attach. 5). i have never seen text before

Erik
[Thumb - conflict.PNG]
 Filename
conflict.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
conflict framerates
 Filesize
309 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
44 time(s)
[Thumb - attch.5.PNG]
 Filename
attch.5.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
text leftside from timeline...
 Filesize
10 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
43 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 21. 2016 16:02

The Shadowman
[Post New]

Who can help me, please.

KInd regards

Erik

Hello Erik

Robert

Hi Erik

See how you get on

Robert

Hi Robert,

followed your instructions and the icons are gone. Restarted PD but the timeline still not appears.

When I select the frames and drag them to the timeline, I get a message (see attachment) about a conflict of framerates. This is also what I saw when I started this project a month ago. Strange, isnt it.

Erik

Are you able to open other PDS files? If you don't have one, create one and try.

Have you given any thought to what tomasc has suggested above? I thought at first it may be sheer file size, but I just loaded a 6gb file and it was almost instantanious.

Under those circumstanes a look at your PCs Dxdiag file would be useful and then experts may be able to comment. It is a fact your computer appears to be straining.

Robert

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 22. 2016 07:27

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Erik Havinga [Avatar]
[Post New]

Who can help me, please.

KInd regards

Erik

Hello Erik

Robert

Hi Erik

See how you get on

Robert

Hi Robert,

Erik

Are you able to open other PDS files? If you don't have one, create one and try.

Have you given any thought to what tomasc has suggested above? I thought at first it may be sheer file size, but I just loaded a 6gb file and it was almost instantanious.

Under those circumstanes a look at your PCs Dxdiag file would be useful and then experts may be able to comment. It is a fact your computer appears to be straining.

Robert

When I open a -smaller-project my timeline appears. Maybe the suggetion of tomasc make sense, I need some time to check all of this but I will come back to you. Still another question: Will a re-installation of the software help??

Thx Robert and tomasc, I will be back soon.....

Erik
The Shadowman
[Post New]

Who can help me, please.

KInd regards

Erik

Hello Erik

Robert

Hi Erik

See how you get on

Robert

Hi Robert,

Erik

Robert

When I open a -smaller-project my timeline appears. Maybe the suggetion of tomasc make sense, I need some time to check all of this but I will come back to you. Still another question: Will a re-installation of the software help??

Erik

A re-install may very well help, but make sure you still have installation key code before doing so.

Robert

Good luck, Erik Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Erik Havinga [Avatar]
[Post New]

Who can help me, please.

KInd regards

Erik

Hello Erik

Robert

Hi Erik

See how you get on

Robert

Hi Robert,

Erik

Robert

Erik

A re-install may very well help, but make sure you still have installation key code before doing so.

Robert

Good luck, Erik

Thanks, John. I have the key here, it is original software. Is that a repair-installation or do I have to uninstall first?
The Shadowman
[Post New]

Who can help me, please.

KInd regards

Erik

Hello Erik

Robert

Hi Erik

See how you get on

Robert

Hi Robert,

Erik

Robert

Erik

Robert

Good luck, Erik

Thanks, John. I have the key here, it is original software. Is that a repair-installation or do I have to uninstall first?

John???

Try the repair first and if you fail on that try the full method.

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Erik Havinga [Avatar]
[Post New]

Who can help me, please.

KInd regards

Erik

Hello Erik

Robert

Hi Erik

See how you get on

Robert

Hi Robert,

Erik

Robert

Erik

Robert

Good luck, Erik

John???

Try the repair first and if you fail on that try the full method.

Robert

sorry Robert!!