Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
XAVC video not decoded in the timelime by the GPU (Nvidia GTX 1060)
moisesmcardona [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Oct 23, 2012 11:48 Messages: 167 Offline
[Post New]
Hi everyone!

I also had this issue in PowerDirector 14, and unfortunately it is still not addressed in PowerDirector 15.

XAVC files will be decoded by the GPU in the Media Library, but not when it is in the Timeline. I have OpenCL and Hardware Decoding enabled, and my GPU is an Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 3GB, which should be more than sufficent to decode these kind of files. See that the GPU Video Engine load is pretty small for this kind of file when it is decoded in the Media Library, but there's no Video Engine Load when it is being played back in the timeline.

Anyone experiences the same? or is it just me?
[Thumb - XAVC 3.png]
 Filename
XAVC 3.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
873 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
50 time(s)
[Thumb - XAVC 2.png]
 Filename
XAVC 2.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
909 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
45 time(s)
[Thumb - XAVC 1.png]
 Filename
XAVC 1.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1038 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
45 time(s)
Main Machine: Jetway NF9G-QM77, Intel i7-3610QM, Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 3GB, 128gb SSD, Windows 10 Pro
Secondary Machine: Lenovo Y510p, Intel i7-4700MQ 2.4Ghz, 2x nVidia GT750M, 500GB SSHD, Windows 10 Education
visit http://moisescardona.video
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
I think mine appears okay, GTX1070. Timeline not as fluent of GPU VE load but still significant. But yes, I totally agree PD14 timeline playback did not take advantage of GPU decoding for many video formats even though GPU fully capable regardless how PD pref decode feature was set.

For reference, a few other formats tested here, http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/49436.page#260483

Jeff
[Thumb - PD15_XAVCS.png]
 Filename
PD15_XAVCS.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
44 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
42 time(s)
[Thumb - PD15_XAVC_timeline.png]
 Filename
PD15_XAVC_timeline.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
74 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
41 time(s)
moisesmcardona [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Oct 23, 2012 11:48 Messages: 167 Offline
[Post New]
I noticed that if I just drop the clip to the timeline, it will use the GPU. As soon as I add a transitions to it between clips, it only uses the CPU for the whole timeline... This just seems to be random.... Something Cyberlink should look at.
[Thumb - XAVC 4.png]
 Filename
XAVC 4.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
793 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
32 time(s)
Main Machine: Jetway NF9G-QM77, Intel i7-3610QM, Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 3GB, 128gb SSD, Windows 10 Pro
Secondary Machine: Lenovo Y510p, Intel i7-4700MQ 2.4Ghz, 2x nVidia GT750M, 500GB SSHD, Windows 10 Education
visit http://moisescardona.video
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I noticed that if I just drop the clip to the timeline, it will use the GPU. As soon as I add a transitions to it between clips, it only uses the CPU for the whole timeline... This just seems to be random.... Something Cyberlink should look at.

Yep, looks like another release bug, I notice the same as you indicate once one traverses a transition. Also true with other formats as well, H.264...., I guess they partially addressed the shortcoming, sigh.

Jeff
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Somewhat interesting subtlety to this bug, if one uses a transition that stays within a clip, so just apply the transition to end or the beginning of clip, hardware decoding remains functional for the whole timeline. The loss in timeline hardware decoding occurs if one uses either the overlap or cross transition behavior and straddles two clips. The issue also affects the use of timeline hardware decoding during a "Produce" operation.

Maybe with the comments in this whole thread CL Dev can easily address the bug.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 28. 2016 23:42

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi moisesmcardona & Jeff -

I had prepared some screenshots but they only show what you've both confirmed.

PDR15: 4K XAVC-S playback in Media Library: GPU load with GTX 680 is between 17 & 31%. Timeline playback is about the same, except when cross/overlap transitions are applied... then GPU load drops to between 4 & 8%

PDR14: same clips playback in Media Library with similar GPU load. In timeline playback, GPU load is between 1 - 8% whether there are transitions or not.

Just my two cents.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Somewhat interesting subtlety to this bug, if one uses a transition that stays within a clip, so just apply the transition to end or the beginning of clip, hardware decoding remains functional for the whole timeline. The loss in timeline hardware decoding occurs if one uses either the overlap or cross transition behavior and straddles two clips. The issue also affects the use of timeline hardware decoding during a "Produce" operation.

Maybe with the comments in this whole thread CL Dev can easily address the bug.

Jeff

Two months latter, first real PD15 update with release 2309, this basic issue still not addressed.

Jeff