Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 15 - CUDA is back?
[Post New]
Well, I have jumped in the boat of PD15 too. What's different is that, at least on my PC, CUDA is back for my nvidia card, in place of OpenCL. I am happy, sice I know that CUDA performs better than OpenCL on nvidia GPU's.
Weird part is that, opening the previous version PD14, I see CUDA in there too... I was used to see OpenCL there.
GTX960, driver version 372.70.

Does anyone else with nvidia GPU notice this?

[Thumb - CUDA_PD15.JPG]
 Filename
CUDA_PD15.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
CUDA
 Filesize
46 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2141 time(s)

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Sep 18. 2016 03:24

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Not for me, but my applicable FX thumbnails still have the CUDA icons. I have an OEM 1.5GB GTX660. Driver 353.82 HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Well, I have jumped in the boat of PD15 too. What's different is that, at least on my PC, CUDA is back for my nvidia card, in place of OpenCL. I am happy, sice I know that CUDA performs better than OpenCL on nvidia GPU's.Weird part is that, opening the previous version PD14, I see CUDA in there too... I was used to see OpenCL there.
GTX960, driver version 372.70.

Does anyone else with nvidia GPU notice this?

I'd be pretty surprised that was intent with stock Nvidia drivers unless some type of residual file issue. My GTX960 looks fine as well as GTX1070 with same 372.70 driver.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD15_960.png]
 Filename
PD15_960.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
261 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
193 time(s)
[Thumb - PD15_1070.png]
 Filename
PD15_1070.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
184 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
163 time(s)
[Post New]
Hmm, maybe is something that I did... I remember that at some point I was playing with a "GpuUtiliy.dll" from a previous version of PD (signed Dec 2010).
But the PD15 has a new one in (well, it's still signed in August 2015, so is not that new).

LE: I have search my C: drive and is not that. Puzzled.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 17. 2016 16:02

BRUNO T. [Avatar]
Member Location: France Joined: May 06, 2016 06:15 Messages: 61 Offline
[Post New]
Will check with my gtx960 with PD14.
And what about the perf with ur PD15 ??
Wait to get pd15 ... Still not clear on the perf benefits on the timline... I7 950, 10 Go Ram, GTX960, SSD 256, HD 2 To, with professional music devices.
PD 14 since dec 2015.
[Post New]
There are comparable. I just like the newest toys
BRUNO T. [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK thanks,
so with PD15 no gain on timeline perf or producing a video in MP4/H264 ?
Im in nvidia driver 365.10 and I have "opencl" and not Cuda in the Preference-acceleration menu...
may be have to try with the latest to see ? I7 950, 10 Go Ram, GTX960, SSD 256, HD 2 To, with professional music devices.
PD 14 since dec 2015.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: There are comparable. I just like the newest toys

Agreed, some produce profiles very comparable, however, some a pretty big advantage. I need to do a lot of transcoding of project from a higher quality source like 2k/60p/40Mbps H.264 to a basic 1920x1080/60i/24Mbps H.264. For that a big difference, one such comparison shown below:

Method PD14 PD15
CPU 1.00 0.39
GTX960 HA 1.00 0.47
GTX1070 HA 1.00 0.41

So for that particular project and encode task, PD15 a little more than twice as efficient for both CPU and hardware encoding on two higher end NVENC cards. Since hardware decoding of some higher quality source video in the timeline is now supported, that can provide a small encoding benefit too.

Other spotted benefits observed as well, no significant detriment observed yet.

Jeff

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 17. 2016 21:51

BRUNO T. [Avatar]
[Post New]
hmm very interesting, thanks for these information.
ANd do you find the edition in the timeline more fluid/responsive ? I7 950, 10 Go Ram, GTX960, SSD 256, HD 2 To, with professional music devices.
PD 14 since dec 2015.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi SoNic67 -

You must be special! No "Enable CUDA NVIDIA technology" here.

Jeff - again consistent with your testing...

10 minute project containing MP4 3840x2160 @ 60Mbps rendered to...

PDR14 render... PDR15 render... Factor
3840x2160 @ 60Mbps 14:26 14:26 1.0
1920x1080 @ 16Mbps 9:56 5:44 0.56
1280x720 @ 16Mbps 9:27 5:43 0.58

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Haha, I am special all right
I did have the OpenCL for the longest time, but then I have installed some more stuff (including K-Lite drivers), don't recall all now... and now I have CUDA. I am not complaining, it works for me, I was just curious.

PS: I have OpenCL avail on my cards (a GTX960 and a GT730, last one dedicated to PhysX):

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Sep 19. 2016 05:20

BRUNO T. [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just installed the last Klite pack to check with my GTX960 but no cuda appears... stil with "Open CL" !

but when producing I can see with GPUZ that my 960 is working (from 1% to 35% max load) I7 950, 10 Go Ram, GTX960, SSD 256, HD 2 To, with professional music devices.
PD 14 since dec 2015.
[Post New]
Installed the newer drivers (372.90) and the anomaly with CUDA is gone - now I have the "OpenCL" in that place, like everyone else.
I am sad
OffTheMark [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jun 12, 2016 10:39 Messages: 114 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Installed the newer drivers (372.90) and the anomaly with CUDA is gone - now I have the "OpenCL" in that place, like everyone else.
I am sad

Does that mean that for PowerDirector, AMD video cards are "better" than NVidia cards because AMD has better OpenCL support while NVidia has Cuda?
[Post New]
Does that mean that for PowerDirector, AMD video cards are "better" than NVidia cards because AMD has better OpenCL support while NVidia has Cuda?

Those setting apply only for SOME effects. They are not relevant to the actual decoding/encoding process, and that's where my computer spends a lot of time.

I used to have an AMD card a while back, but now I don't recomend any of them.
DragonKing [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 02, 2019 17:28 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I just came across this YouTube video online, which shows what you can do to get CUDA cores to be an option in PowerDirector15.

The instructions seem counterintuitive, but it did make the CUDA option appear for me in PowerDirector15. I haven't had a chance yet to try actually rendering video with that option, to make sure it is actually using my GPU. If you don't want to watch the video, here is the summary:

• Open NVIDIA Control Panel

• click Manage 3D settings

• click Program Settings

• Select Cyberlink Power Director

• Change CUDA-GPUs from "Use global settings" to "Use these GPUs" and uncheck (I know, counterintuitive) your GPU.

• Click OK. These will take a few seconds, but the row will update to say "CUDA - GPUs...None".

• Click Apply (also takes a few seconds)

• Open PowerDirector15, go to Settings/Hardware Acceleration, and you'll see "Enable NVIDIA CUDA technology..." as an option.

Note: This did not require a restart. I've tried this on both my NVIDIA computers. One is using a GTX1070, and one is using a GTX1060 3GB. One is using Game Ready Drivers, and one is using Studio Drivers.

PowerDirector 15 with CUDA enabled
[Thumb - pd15.PNG]
 Filename
pd15.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
127 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Oct 01. 2020 12:47

JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I just came across this YouTube video online, which shows what you can do to get CUDA cores to be an option in PowerDirector15.

The instructions seem counterintuitive, but it did make the CUDA option appear for me in PowerDirector15. I haven't had a chance yet to try actually rendering video with that option, to make sure it is actually using my GPU. If you don't want to watch the video, here is the summary:

• Open NVIDIA Control Panel

• click Manage 3D settings

• click Program Settings

• Select Cyberlink Power Director

• Change CUDA-GPUs from "Use global settings" to "Use these GPUs" and uncheck (I know, counterintuitive) your GPU.

• Click OK. These will take a few seconds, but the row will update to say "CUDA - GPUs...None".

• Click Apply (also takes a few seconds)

• Open PowerDirector15, go to Settings/Hardware Acceleration, and you'll see "Enable NVIDIA CUDA technology..." as an option.

Note: This did not require a restart. I've tried this on both my NVIDIA computers. One is using a GTX1070, and one is using a GTX1060 3GB. One is using Game Ready Drivers, and one is using Studio Drivers.

Unfortunately, you've been misled concerning PD15 hardware encoding. If you have a Nvidia GPU, you updated driver past 411.70 which PD15 is not compatible with for hardware encoding. PD15 does not use CUDA for encoding, but NVENC.

Jeff
DragonKing [Avatar]
[Post New]

Unfortunately, you've been misled concerning PD15 hardware encoding. If you have a Nvidia GPU, you updated driver past 411.70 which PD15 is not compatible with for hardware encoding. PD15 does not use CUDA for encoding, but NVENC.

Jeff

So then, is there no way to use my Nvidia GPU to render? I just tried rendering, and with OpenCL, the GPU was never used. With the above workaround and CUDA selected, it occasionally used up to 5%
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote So then, is there no way to use my Nvidia GPU to render? I just tried rendering, and with OpenCL, the GPU was never used. With the above workaround and CUDA selected, it occasionally used up to 5%

As was mentioned, use the 411.70 Nvidia driver and don't update. Compatible with WIN10 and both 1060 and 1070. That is the most recent driver that still supports the older version of NVENC which PD15 used and the hardware encode feature can be utilized on the "Produce" page, left column, lower third, "Hardware video encoder". The pref box you show does not control NVENC hardware encoding.

Jeff
DragonKing [Avatar]
[Post New]

As was mentioned, use the 411.70 Nvidia driver and don't update. Compatible with WIN10 and both 1060 and 1070. That is the most recent driver that still supports the older version of NVENC which PD15 used and the hardware encode feature can be utilized on the "Produce" page, left column, lower third, "Hardware video encoder". The pref box you show does not control NVENC hardware encoding.

Jeff

Oh, I should have been asking if there was no way to do that without rolling back to the old driver. I'm also a gamer. So, constantly flipping back and forth is a total pain. Rolling back in particular is difficult, because as soon as you uninstall the current one, Windows installs its version, which is still newer than 411.70. If you uninstall that one, Windows immediately searches Windows Update for a driver, and installs that same Windows version.

So, the process to roll back is:

1. Uninstall NVidia driver

2. restart computer

3. Disabled your network card

4. uninstall Windows graphics driver from Device Manager

5. restart computer

6. install 411.70.

7. Turn off Microsoft Updates (so it won't automatically update to a newer version).

8. enable your network card.

What a pain. When I bought this software 2 years ago, the key selling point to me on PowerDirector was that it can use my Nvidia card. You have to jump through so many hoops for that to work now, I don't think it counts. PowerDirector 15 does not support encoding with your Nvidia card. *sigh*