Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Timecode overlay
AndrewRacz1 [Avatar]
Member Location: Cardiff Joined: Mar 18, 2014 18:36 Messages: 55 Offline
[Post New]
I don't need an accurate timecode but how do I overlay one onto my produced video, I want to give my disc to a third party so he can tell me at what times I need to take out any unwanted footage
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I think most video players (on a computer) would have the time code as part of the program interface. Windows Media Player, for instance. Is that sufficient or do you still crave a timecode overlay of some sort? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
AndrewRacz1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the quick reply, best case would be to overlay on produced footage, but if I can't then that will have to do, tried downloading timecode from media college but the file isn't recognised when I trued to open it
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks for the quick reply, best case would be to overlay on produced footage, but if I can't then that will have to do, tried downloading timecode from media college but the file isn't recognised when I trued to open it
There is "Time Stamp" in Effects (FX).

There are also free time codes available from Media College. I See you tried that already. The AVI versions work OK.

http://www.mediacollege.com/video/editing/timecode/

Filename
Time code test.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
I used the 1 minute AVI
 Filesize
8482 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
184 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 05. 2016 09:03

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I also tried the timecode from media college in the past. It works with the correct one.
AndrewRacz1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks, I'll try again
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Since the OP doesn't require an accurate timecode, I don't wish to unnecessarily complicate this thread... but I've just tested both versions of the timecode videos from MediaCollege and neither will import into PDR14 on Win10 with no QT installed. The MPEG-2 has an .m2v extension & is not recognised. The AVI version brings up an unsupported media alert.

I had to convert both files with Format Factory to get them imported.

PDR's Time Stamp effect is probably the easiest option, despite its lack of understanding of 100% opacity undecided

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The OP never stated what win os he was using. I can see a problem in answering users in this forum whose computer may not be configured exactly like the others and using a different win os. Glad that Tony thought this out and checked it. That is a good thing.

Attached is a screenshot showing that the fx timestamp, avi and mov timecode files from mediacollege.com all do work and display properly on a win 7 computer with a PD14 default installation.

All 3 file types including the pal mpeg one can be streamed to the win 7 media player although the mpeg one is not accepted by PD14.
[Thumb - Timecodes.jpg]
 Filename
Timecodes.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Time stamp, timecodes avi and mov at work.
 Filesize
420 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
29 time(s)