Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Vertical Black Bars
bp092 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 14, 2015 16:04 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I've posted about this before and never found a resolution to this problem so I thought I would post again with some new screenshots. These vertical black bars happen on imported HD video but do not appear when previewed in another video app, only in PD13.

You will see it's not PD doing the black bars on the project, but rather already to the video as it is imported to PD13. Any suggestions? This makes for black bars on the youtube videos and it's irritating. Stretching each clip manually beyond the limits to hide this is out of the question, that's so tedious it would drive me insane. Thanks!
[Thumb - blackbars2.jpg]
 Filename
blackbars2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
29 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
67 time(s)
bp092 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Another screen cap.
[Thumb - blackbars.jpg]
 Filename
blackbars.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
42 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
65 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Look at the windows/properties/detail for those clips. More than likely they are not exactly 16:9. In PD13 post a screenshot of the clip properties. A few pixels off will make the differences.
bp092 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your help. I've attached a screenshot of both properties (windows/PD13). Any way to either avoid this in the importing process or an easier to way to rectify this in PD13? Thanks!
[Thumb - properties.jpg]
 Filename
properties.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
80 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
58 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for posting the windows properties. This explains why you have a 4 pixel black bar on the sides of your video. 16:9 is 1920x1080 wheras your originals are 1920x1088 which is 8 pixels too tall. To fit it in a 16x9 area then black bars are necessary so you have to crop them out. Some camera makers do supply images or video on certain models that are off. Most users just ignore the small difference.
bp092 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your help. Is there any way to correct this? I shoot on a T3i and there is no adjustment in the settings for this.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Look at the windows/properties/detail for those clips. More than likely they are not exactly 16:9. In PD13 post a screenshot of the clip properties. A few pixels off will make the differences.

Is there a possibility the aspect ratio could be 14:9? This aspect ratio gives thinner black vertical bars either side of the image on screen. 14:9 is quite a rare aspect ratio and I've only come across it once or twice.

Cheers!

Neil
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Bp092 - I expected Canon dslr users to answer that question about the incorrect aspect ratio and what they do about it but none have come forward yet.

I believe that canon might have a firmware fix for it but further research indicates that you possibly purchased the low end of their camera lineup and the videos are of very poor quality as sd quality 1056x704 video is upscaled to 1920x1088. Not the expected 1080 you want. See this link: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2764.0 .

Canon does make hi end cameras that do what you expect.
bp092 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the info. I just confirmed with another youtube content creator that has the same camera and doesn't experience this issue. However he uses Adobe Premiere, so I suspect that software corrects for this automatically and crops out the black lines when it's imported. Is Powerdirector setup in any way to handle this without doing it manually? The solution at this point is not to purchase a brand new camera, I should be able to rectify this with software.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Your comment on Adobe Premiere got me to thinking. I downloaded the Canon t3i manual and three 1920x1088 mov video files from Vimeo. Opened PD14 and played with the settings. The fix is so easy and you don’t need to manually stretch each clip to hide those black borders seen on the side. Here is how to do it:

Fix for Canon 1929x1088 video

Highlight a 1920x1088 clip. Right mouse click and click Set Clip Attributes/Set Aspect Ratio. A window pop up.

1. Check Neither 4:3 nor 16:9.

2. Check one of the two stretch modes via the down arrow.

3. Check Apply to all video clips.

4. Click the OK button and you are done for all those Canon clips on the timeline.

Tested the above with a mix of true 16:9, 4:3, and those 3 Canon t3i mov clips. All are displayed as 16:9 now with no black borders on the side.

I can never be happy using Adobe Premiere Elements as it lacks smart rendering or svrt in PowerDirector. It looks like the latest patch for PD14 allows the smart rendering for mov files. See this link for the 8th bullet down : https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/47763.page . I will have to download that patch should I ever use mov files as primary video on my projects.

Let us know if the above solves your black border issue. sealed
[Thumb - Canon t3i.jpg]
 Filename
Canon t3i.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Info on how to fix the side black borders on the Canon dslr video.
 Filesize
356 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
59 time(s)
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
Nice explanation... tomasc!!
CS PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive