Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Inexpensive Hardware HD Media Player
[Post New]
A new way for us to play and view our created HD content!

I've been watching the progress of hardware media players that connect to our HD TV sets for the appearance of some that support HD WMV files and other HD video formats. Up until now several players have been available but none actually supported high definition video.

We'll see many configurations but I wanted the simplest possible, something that would let me use my own USB external hard drive(s) and USB thumb drives. And that is just what Western Digital has brought out. Quietly introduced a few months ago, some of the retail outlets don't even realize they have them; Best Buy told me that they had nothing like that yet, but when I told them their web site said they had them in stock and they looked it up they had 5 on hand.

Two minutes later they had four (Took me that long to get checked out).

I hooked it up to my TV with an HDMI cable I had on hand, powered it and the TV up, plugged in a 4GB thumb drive to one of the two USB ports and in seconds was watching a 26 minute 1280x720p WMV file in clear, clean, crisp HD on my 42" LCD TV.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=572

I don't have a Blu-ray player, for now don't plan on buying a Blu-ray burner nor pay the price for BD media. I think Sony has blundered by keeping the price too high, Sony is disappointed in the sluggish market reaction in that folks have not purchased Blu-ray players in the numbers they had hoped and I think there is a very real chance that electronic distribution of HD content may overtake the optical disk marketing in the long run. I think we'll see more movies sold by download and on flash media.

And this WD media player may be a step in that direction. At least for me it is a way for me to show/view my produced content in my home.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bif,
Nice post, I too have been looking for something (saves carrying the laptop around) Didn't realise they'd released this.

Price is around £80 in the UK
http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/7977460/Product.html?source=9593
for anyone interested.

Maybe after Christmas for me tho'

Cheers
Adrian

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 03. 2008 03:08

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Bif,

Excellent post. I along with Adrian have been looking for an alternative to try out.

Good links from both...brill in fact.

Dafydd
[Post New]
The price I paid for the little "box" was $129USD plus tax. Real simple, it has no internal storage, you have to supply USB hard drive or other USB device but it does what I want, shows my rendered HD content on a big screen HD TV.

Just thought I'd share...

[Post New]
Bif,

The link you posted is no longer valid, but is this the type of hardware device you are referring to?

http://www.amazon.com/Micca-Slim-Portable-Digital-2-5-Inch/dp/B002ABX29I/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1296159743&sr=1-3

Thanks,
~Tim
[Post New]
Here's a Western Digital one:

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-WDTV-Media-Player/dp/B003O85A96/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1296160405&sr=1-6

[Post New]
Quote: Bif,

The link you posted is no longer valid, but is this the type of hardware device you are referring to?

http://www.amazon.com/Micca-Slim-Portable-Digital-2-5-Inch/dp/B002ABX29I/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1296159743&sr=1-3

Thanks,
~Tim

I guess it's similar. Reading a few reviews it seems like it has an internal hard drive. The one I have does not (and that's the way I prefer it) but you can connect any external USB hard drive to it. I tried that once but what I use it for is playing back my own edited HD content from ordinary "thumb" drives (USB flash memory device also called "jump" drive or "travel" drive.

No moving parts and it's as simple as can be.

This is what I have, two USB inputs one HDMI out and one composite out. This listing appears to be for refurbished items and the price is very good. I'd grab one at that price while they have them.

Later versions have added wireless but I like the original design for it's utter simplicity.

Bruce Foreman
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bif

Thanks to your original post I purchased one and have never looked back.

The clarity with the HD video files (I produce as close to the camera settings as possible) is absolutely breath taking.

Thanks again. Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I just bought a BlueRay player that also connects to the 'net for SD/HD content, and has a usb port for a thumb drive so I can play AVC and Mpeg variations. Best of all worlds. Now I can see my HD productions on my bigscreen...
...pass the popcorn! HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT