Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
how to crop, move down, and add top/bottom black bands, while preserving aspect ratio?
Dave524 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 01, 2015 01:21 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I'm a newbie to PD14 (just recently bought the full version after playing with the trial version), but have done some editing off and on with open source tools (ex. VirtualDub, AviSynth) over the past number of years. I've searched through the forums on this question, found a few tips, but so far have been unable to accomplish what I'd like, and I'm hoping someone can quickly describe how to do things, or point me to a tutorial.

What I want to do seems relatively simple:

1. Crop the "network crawl" ("n" lines) from the bottom of a video clip and replace it with black.

2. Move the entire clip "down" so that "n/2" black lines are left on the bottom, and that "n/2" black lines are added to the top.

I want to preserve the aspect ratio (16:9) throughout the entire process. I have a number of clips with the same "crawl" that I'd like to do this with, so if there's a way to do the above across multiple clips I'd love to know that as well.

I've looked at the PD PowerTools Crop/Zoom and the Mask features, but haven't yet been able to make much headway - although it feels like I'm poking around the right areas.

I've loved everything I've discovered about PD14 so far, and am hoping that continues with what I want to do here. Let me know if there's any more information I can provide.

Thanks for providing a forum (literally) where new PD users like me can come!

Dave B.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dave -

Help us out a bit... by "network crawl", do you mean lower third? new ticker?

... and what do you mean by "n lines" and "n/2". It may not be secret code to you, but it has me baffled embarassed

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Dave524 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

Yes, I want to crop out the bottom portion of the screen (maybe only 10%-15%), which often contains a scrolling stock ticker, latest football scores, breaking news headlines, etc.

Now let's say the above is the bottom 70 "lines" of the screen/video. After cropping those lines away, I would like to replace them with black, and then move the entire remaining visible portion of the clip down by 35 (i.e., 70/2) lines, so that there is an equal amount of black at the top and the bottom, such that the video is vertically centered on the screen.

Does that help? Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for replying!

Dave
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Ah! "n" as in algebra. I got it.

The specifics of this depend on the actual (vertical) position of the scores/logos you need to block out, but the approach can be the same. Three easy possibilities:

• Crop the video with first & last keyframes set the same (screenshot attached) - you lose a bit of top/bottom/side vision, but no black bars. Steps shown here - https://youtu.be/qLZUyFsNqEc

• Apply colour boards to top and bottom (screenshot & instructions attached)

• Use a premade overlay with black top & bottom & transparent centre section (screenshot attached). I'd attach the actual overlay, but it won't match up with your video. You'll see in the screenshot, it doesn't block the news logo properly.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Overlay in PDR.png]
 Filename
Overlay in PDR.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
135 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
190 time(s)
[Thumb - Colour Boards Overlay.png]
 Filename
Colour Boards Overlay.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
282 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
216 time(s)
[Thumb - Crop Video.png]
 Filename
Crop Video.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
517 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
165 time(s)

Dave524 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

Thanks for the great guidance, I appreciate and think I essentially understand - but I'm still struggling getting things to work.

In the Power Tools Crop/Zoom, it looks like I can use the blue circle in the middle of the clip to drag the clip "down" in order to crop the bottom area that I want to get rid of. And when the clip is moved "down", it looks like black does fill in at the top of the clip/screen. Is that right?

So let's say I want to get rid of the bottom 80 lines of a clip and keep all the others, and have 40 black lines at the top and bottom when all is said and done. If I move the clip "down" so that 40 lines (of the 80) at the bottom are cropped, 40 black lines appear to be added at the top. That leaves 40 lines at the bottom still to be "removed". It seems like I could apply a black overlay of 40 lines at the bottom. And then I'd be done. Is that right?

I'm also struggling with keyframes. It doesn't seem like I'm duplicating them correctly - the entire clip doesn't seem to be affected.

Finally, is there any way to precisely/exactly specify (or monitor) the number of lines cropped, as opposed to simply dragging the box and guessing?

Sorry for my ignorance but I'm very grateful for the help, and I have to believe there are others who could also benefit.

Thanks again,
Dave B.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Dave -

Sorry - maybe I threw too many options at you.

If you post a screen shot of your video (take a snapshot in PDR) showing where the bits are you want to crop out or disguise, we'll be able to give you more accurate guidance with you particular clip.

In Crop Video, you're not actually moving the clip anywhere on the screen - you're telling PDR where to crop it. If you need to move the clip up, down or sideways, you'd do that in PiP Designer or in the Preview window.

If I understand you correctly, you want to end up with a 40px (lines) black bar top & bottom. The attached overlay would achieve that - no cropping - just drop the overlay in a higher numbered track... er - assuming you're working with a 1920x1080 video.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - 1920x1000 Overlay.png]
 Filename
1920x1000 Overlay.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
5 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
331 time(s)

ynotfish
[Post New]
Ooops - missed a couple of your questions.

I'm also struggling with keyframes. It doesn't seem like I'm duplicating them correctly - the entire clip doesn't seem to be affected.

Duplicating keyframes in any part of PDR effectively means NO CHANGE. i.e. zo zoom, no resizing, no motion, no nothing laughing So - if there is a keyframe at the start and another at the end & they're both the same NOTHING happens.

Finally, is there any way to precisely/exactly specify (or monitor) the number of lines cropped, as opposed to simply dragging the box and guessing?

Unfortunately, NO. It's mostly guesswork. Using the grids helps, but you're still relying on your eyes. The overlay I attached, however is pixel accurate.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 06. 2015 16:12

Dave524 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

Thank you again. I think I (finally!) understand how to work with the keyframes across the entire clip. For anyone else's reference who might be reading this: make the changes at one keyframe (ex. the one at the beginning of the clip), jump to the other keyframe (ex. the one at the end of the clip), click the "duplicate" button and click the appropriate popup menu choice (ex. "Duplicate Previous Keyframe"). The changes are then copied across the whole clip uniformly. Now that I understand how to execute it, I'm embarrassed at how simple it is!

I also discovered the useful view magnification selection at the bottom right of the Crop/Zoom window - selecting a value >= 200% helps me to see exactly which lines are being cropped.

So, it turns out the actual number of lines that I want to crop from the bottom is 36 (not 80). So here's what I'm planning to do:

1) Use the Crop to crop 18 lines from the bottom. When I drag the clip "down" to do the crop (using the blue circle), 18 black lines fill in at the top in the result, which is actually what I want!

2) Use an 18-pixel/line height overlay in another track (as you described) to mask the remaining 18 lines at the bottom.

End result - bottom 36 lines gone, replaced with 18 lines of black at the top and bottom. All other lines of the clip are retained; and the aspect ratio unchanged.

That's the theory anyway - hopefully the practice matches!

One more question - I have a total of 7 clips that I want to apply this same set of modifications too. Is there any "shortcut" way to make the changes across all 7 clips at once, or do I need to repeat the modifications for each clip?

Thank you again for your patience as I learn and your willingness to help!!!

Dave B.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Dave -

Glad you're getting the result you're after. Yes - you are getting on top of the keyframe concept!

Unfortunately, with Crop/Zoom, there's no shortcut. You need to crop each clip separately. You could, if you wanted, produce the 7 clips to a single video file then apply crop/zoom/overlay to the combined group. That would work best if they were to be sequenced li8ke that in the final timeline.

There are other parts of PDR where you can use the copy/paste keyframe attributes feature - that saves a mountain of time, but it doesn't apply to crop/zoom.

Cheers - Tony
Dave524 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

Just one quick sanity-check question...

Thank you - it's a great idea to produce all the clips into one movie, then reimport and apply these changes to just the single movie clip. My question has to do with any re-encoding/loss of quality. If the original video clips are all H.264 720p60, and the clips are edited and produced as the same then reimported, edited again (cropped, overlay, etc.) as a single clip, and produced again as the same, is it the case that there shouldn't be any rencoding or quailty loss from the original? If so, what if during the "produce" steps, one of the "fast video rendering technology" options like SVRT is selected - would that have any effect?

I really appreciate your willingness to answer all these questions!

Dave B.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Dave -

That pre-producing suggestion is less-than-ideal, especially as the video had already been processed before you started working with it.

You can avoid further quality loss by doing just as you've said... produce to H.264 720p 60 matching the video bitrates - edit the combined produced clip - then reproduce using the same profile.

Yes - if there's an SVRT profile available, use that. All the better.

Cheers - Tony
Dave524 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Tony - just one follow-up question to what you said:

> That pre-producing suggestion is less-than-ideal, especially as the video had already been processed before you started working with it.

So even if the original video is 720p60 and the "produce" result is 720p60 (at the same or greater bitrate), you're saying that importing the original video into PD always results in some processing/quality loss? (In other words, initial video import always results in some quality loss?) Just making sure I understand...

(But as you said, reimporting after producing, editing again, and producing again to 720p60 at the same or greater bitrate won't result in any *further* loss.)

All of this is very interesting...

Dave B.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Dave -

My response was a bit "guarded" because of the unknown - we don't know anything about how that video was processed before you started working on it... unless I'm misunderstanding the situation.

If it had been an original clip straight off the camera, you could be more certain about the end product. I did some tests here - http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/46380.page#240531

Anyway Dave - you'll see immediately whether the pre-producing process has any detrimental effects.

Cheers - Tony
Dave524 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ah, OK. Thanks for the link/examples. Yes, the original clips are straight video captures at 720p60 (using a Hauppauge HD PVR2) and as such haven't been "touched" by anything else before I use PD with them. I understand that of course PD needs to do some processing when it loads clips and reencoding when it produces movies... but as you say, if the _format_ was the same throughout the process (720p60) I was just wondering how significant that reencoding might ultimately be.

Based on all I've learned, I'm guessing the quality of the result will be fine. I'll let you know - it's been hard lately to find time to actually try most of this! :^)

Dave B.
Dave524 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

A positive update and another question...

Thanks to you, I managed to crop the bottom and wind up with the black bands on the top and bottom as I wanted! So I am very grateful and hope this will help someone else who has the same simple editing need.

I do have another question regarding SVRT rendering during production. The first time I produced the video, it was to merge the clips into one (per your suggestion) so that I would only need to apply the crop and black color boards to the one resulting clip. On the "Produce" screen, I was able to choose SVRT rendering during this production - and it went quickly and the quality looked good. The file size was 4.1 GB for 42 minutes of video.

After that was completed, I imported the new "merged clips video" back into PD and applied the crop and the black color board, and again all went great. However, when I went to produce again, I could *not* select the SVRT rendering as before - only the Intel Quick Sync Video (which I did not select). This time, the production took much, much longer, as no fast renderer had been selected. And, the resulting video was over 7.3 GB for the same 42 minutes in length! So my question is: Should I be able to select SVRT rendering again during this second (final) production? Why was the final video file size so much larger? What (if anything) am I doing wrong, or don't I understand?

Thank you again for all the help,
Dave B.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 14. 2015 03:05

ynotfish
[Post New]
Dave -

Yes - that's what you'd expect. SVRT would be available if your source clips could be matched by a PDR profile (i.e. no re-rendering is required).

After you brought that combined produced clip back into the timeline, SVRT would still be available BUT not once you apply an overlay or crop the video... because it's been edited the whole thing has to be re-rendered. So - yes - the render time would be much greater.

I can't account for the massive difference in file size, but it would depend on the exact edits that were made and the profile used for production.

Cheers - Tony
Dave524 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

Thanks for the reply - I found the "SVRT track" display option in the timeline and this seems to bear all this out. What I did before the first production (cutting and adding cross-fade transitions) apparently did not require re-rendering ("timeline_1.jpg") and allowed me to select SVRT for the production ("produce_screen_1.jpg"). But what I did before the second production (cropping and adding a black color board track to the timeline) apparently did require re-rendering ("timeline_2.jpg", as you said) and did not allow me to select SVRT for the production ("produce_screen_2.jpg" - attached to next reply).

One thing I noticed between timeline_1 (i.e. after only cut and fade edits) and timeline_2 (after first production, reimport, and crop and color board edits) is that the SVRT analysis for the two was different. In timeline_1 the analysis indicated that the existing "AVC 1280x720 60p (24Mbps)" profile could/should be chosen for production. In timeline_2 the analysis indicated a "Custom Profile" should be chosen - the only apparent difference being the bitrates (timeline_1: 22.500K; timeline_2: 12.654K). However, in the Produce screen I could not see how to create such a Custom Profile.

I'm wondering how/why the bitrate changed? And it went *down* from 22.500K to 12.654K. When I produced the second movie, I used the existing "AVC 1280x720 60p (24Mbps)" profile since I didn't know how to create the recommended Custom Profile. Did choosing a higer bit rate than what was indicated by the SVRT analysis somehow cause the resulting file to be so much larger?

I hope I'm not monopolizing your time too much, but there's so much to learn/understand and I'm hoping others can folow along and learn as well...

Thank you again,

Dave B.
[Thumb - timeline_1.jpg]
 Filename
timeline_1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Timeline after cuts and fades
 Filesize
197 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
119 time(s)
[Thumb - produce_screen_1.jpg]
 Filename
produce_screen_1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
SVRT option enabled to be selected
 Filesize
155 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
116 time(s)
Dave524 [Avatar]
[Post New]
...attachments...
[Thumb - produce_screen_2.jpg]
 Filename
produce_screen_2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
SVRT option NOT enabled to be selected
 Filesize
153 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
115 time(s)
[Thumb - timeline_2.jpg]
 Filename
timeline_2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Timeline after first production, reimport, and crop and color board edits
 Filesize
203 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
120 time(s)
ynotfish
[Post New]
Dave -

I can't explain the difference in "suggested" bitrates. When I replicate the process here, the SVRT profile & the suggested custom profile are in the same ballpark. 24000 vs 21800

If you have increased the bitrate from the initial render, that would explain the greater file size. VBR is the most significant factor.

After you've done your cropping etc, the best thing to do is just produce to EXACTLY the same profile you used in the first place. That minimises loss of quality.

Cheers - Tony
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I'm wondering how/why the bitrate changed? And it went *down* from 22.500K to 12.654K. When I produced the second movie, I used the existing "AVC 1280x720 60p (24Mbps)" profile since I didn't know how to create the recommended Custom Profile. Did choosing a higer bit rate than what was indicated by the SVRT analysis somehow cause the resulting file to be so much larger?

SVRT is affected by the colorboard content in video track 2. As proof, slide the colorboard down the timeline a bit so it does not start at 0:00 and remove the "orange i" enhancment from the video then do Alt+S to refresh the SVRT information. You will probably recover your orignal profile.

SVRT really does not matter here once you add the colorboard, the entire timeline needs to be encoded anyhow. You have also applied some type of correction, the "orange i", would have been better to do that initially.

Jeff

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 14. 2015 18:10