CyberLink Community Forum
PhotoNow Error--cannot uninstall or reinstall  XML
Forum Index » PowerDirector (previous versions)
Miss D

PowerDirector 7... When I hit [EDIT IMAGE] toggle, get the error "failed to launch PhotoNow! Please reinstall the PhotoNow program."

I uninstalled PowerDirector 7, shut down, started, confirmed it was no longer a program and tried to reinstall from CD several times. Even tho prog not present, during install I get "system detects Cyberlink on system. Do you wish to uninstall?" I say yes and the error message "Error reading setup installation file." After five attempts I'm looking for any hope/help?
Miss D

Forgot to add I have VISTA
RobertJ/OZ

Senior Contributor

PhotoNow is a separate program in Add/Remove programs. As well as uninstalling PD7 you also need to uninstall PhotoNow.

Follow the instructions in PowerDirector - information we request and tasks to carry out, PART C

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/2405.page

Then reinstall Power Director

Robert

Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 12.8 Win7 64 bit
Intel T7400 4GB Ram Nvidia GeForceGo Win7 32 bit

PDtoots
Ernie

Hi Robert:
Sorry for butting in but I'm confused about PhotoNow.

I'm running PD 7 Deluxe build 2206.

You stated "PhotoNow is a separate program in Add/Remove programs.".

I have Vista and PhotoNow is not listed under "All Programs" or "Uninstall Programs" on my computer.

However., When I open PD and place a photo on the time line and click edit, PhotoNow opens ok.

What I'm confused about is that you say that PhotoNow is a separate program but it doesn't seem to be on my computer.

I always learn a lot from your great answers, in helping people with their problems.
Dafydd Bevan - SoftDeko

Senior Contributor

As per what Robert wrote.

Image attached.

Dafydd
[Thumb - CP-PhotoNow.jpg]
 Filename CP-PhotoNow.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Add & remove
 Filesize 48 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  405 time(s)

For more information click the links given here:
PowerDirector Video Editor = 2,2.5,3,4,5,5P,6,7,8,9,10,11 Ultimate Suite, Ultimate Suite 2, Director Suite 2.
PowerDirector 12 Image Guides linking image guides on the forum.
Image Editor = One that makes transparent background PNG files is a "must have".
Gif Animation = Creating and converting an animation can give one's video a little "edge".
Check out PowerDVD, PhotoDirector, ColorDirector, AudioDirector & MediaShow
I use the Pixelan plug-ins, (*5) with PowerDirector 12 Click here to visit Pixelan Software.
Started with 8mm splice editing and B&W still image darkroom photography.
Honesty disclosure: CyberLink have provided me their software products at no charge.
Miss D

Now a nightmare... In VISTA the PhotoNow program does not show and uninstalls leave many hidden folders residing on the system (see below).

BACKGROUND: Have VISTA. Successfully created burned DVD with PowerDirector 7. However, one function did not work - the Edit Photo button. Always got the message "failed to launch PhotoNow! Please reinstall the PhotoNow program" VISTA users need to be aware that the uninstall still leaves folders lying around. I did the following with full PC shutdowns/reboots between uninstalls/deletes.

• Start/Control Panel/Uninstall/PowerDirector

• Tried to reload and got error message that PowerDirector was still detected.

• Then, I did Start/Control Panel/Uninstall/LabelPrint (this was a Cyberlink product loaded 3 months before PowerDirector was loaded but it had the Cyberlink name so goodbye).

• In the Uninstall/Install, I searched for any other Cyberlink product sorting by the publisher name and the installation date. No other programs showed. Load failed again, and got message "Detects Cyberlink, do you want to install?"

• Went to my C: drive and did a search for "Cyberlink" and "PowerDirector". I deleted every file/folder related to these two terms. They included folders at:
---C:\Users\MyName\Documents\Cyberlink in which there was a PowerDirector folder with numerous subfolders containing 122 files.
---C:\Users\Public\Cyberlink\Downloaded Menus\ in which there were 104 folders with 700 items that I deleted relating to the date I initially installed PowerDirector. These folders and subfolders contained info on FAQ, Customized
---C:\Users\Publick\Cyberlink folder which had numerous subfolders with downloaded effects.
---C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\Cyberlink\menudesigner folder as well as powerdirector folder

• Despite having NO PROGRAMS and NO FOLDERS under the Cyberlink or PowerDirector name, I am still getting a "Detects Cyberlink, do you want to install?" error message that then fails when I say Yes.

So, now if I try to do the following recommendaion, nothing happens because it isn't on the system.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/2405.page

Why isn't this a simple uninstall/install???? HELP PLEASE!!

Dafydd Bevan - SoftDeko

Senior Contributor

You'll need to contact Customer Support with your issue.
http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/service/technical-support.do

Dafydd

PowerDirector Video Editor = 2,2.5,3,4,5,5P,6,7,8,9,10,11 Ultimate Suite, Ultimate Suite 2, Director Suite 2.
Image Editor = One that makes transparent background PNG files is a "must have".
Gif Animation = Creating and converting an animation can give one's video a little "edge".
I use the Pixelan plug-ins, (*5) with PowerDirector 12 Click here to visit Pixelan Software.
Honesty disclosure: CyberLink have provided me their software products at no charge.
Dafydd Bevan - SoftDeko

Senior Contributor

Okay, I've had a chat with support and.

1. I have sent you a PM with the first part of the instructions which I want you to look at etc.

2. Carry out the below instructions.
If user still get this error message, please suggest user remove PDR by Microsoft Cleanup tool + GUID then reinstall it.

Please try the below steps to remove PowerDirector.

I. Reboot PC.

II. Install Microsoft cleanup tool and clean PowerDirector installation information
Install Microsoft cleanup tool and execute from "Start\all programs\WindowsInstaller Cleanup" To check if PowerDirector is
on product list, If you can see PowerDirector in product list. Select PowerDirector and click "Remove" button to clean up PowerDirector.
Microsoft cleanup tool:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9/d/e9d80355-7ab4-45b8-80e8-983a48d5e1bd/msicuu2.exe

III. Remove PowerDirector folder and clean up PowerDirector Registry
Please try the following steps.

1. Remove C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector folder
2. Remove C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{CB099890-1D5F-11D5-9EA9-0050BAE317E1} folder
3. Run regedit (Start --> Run --> type "regedit"
(1) Remove HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CyberLink\PowerDirector
(2) Remove HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{CB099890-1D5F-11D5-9EA9-0050BAE317E1}
(3) Remove HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\InstallShield Uninstall Information\{CB099890-1D5F-11D5-9EA9-
0050BAE317E1}
(4) Remove HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
InstallShield_{CB099890-1D5F-11D5-9EA9-0050BAE317E1}

Note: Before execute item2, please make sure user has enabled "Show hidden files and folders".

IV. Reboot PC again then reinstall PowerDirector

Show hidden files and folders

In XP it's
Open a folder
Tools > Folder options > View > Advance settings > select " Show hidden files and folders"

Okay I'll send the PM now with the first part..

I hope this helps.

Dafydd

Miss D

First, thank you for your assistance. I thank immensely.

In summary, Step I and II were good and part of III. When I ran regedit the four files listed were not part of my system ... I even did a search for the file name and it did not appear. Believing they were not present, I tried to reinstall PowerDirector and got the now familiar error message "detects Cyberlink on system. Do you wish to uninstall?" I say YES then get another error " reading set up initialzation file". I'm exasperated. Any ideas now?
Dafydd Bevan - SoftDeko

Senior Contributor

I know this next bit is contrary to the instruction, please read:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/4268.page#16431

Dafydd

Miss D

Had found that link yesterday and followed with no luck.

: Thank you for pointing out that for VISTA, I finally found the regkey under:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cyberlink . I DELETED THIS
Previous forums said it was in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CyberLink\PowerDirector.

I also checked every folder under RegEdit to see if there were any other "Cyberlink" or "PowerDirector" folders -- I did not find any.

After I deleted HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\, I shut down and booted up. Tried to reinstall from CD and got usual two messages 1) PD detected on your system. Do you want to uninstall? And 2) error reading setup initiatilization file

STILL NOT RESOLVED -- attached 2 error msgs
[Thumb - Cyberlink Error Image - After Yes to Uninstall.jpg]
 Filename Cyberlink Error Image - After Yes to Uninstall.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description After I say Yes to uninstall, get error in initialization
 Filesize 48 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  346 time(s)

[Thumb - Cyberlink Error Image - Detected on System.jpg]
 Filename Cyberlink Error Image - Detected on System.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description PD detected on your system. Do you want to uninstall? Y/N
 Filesize 79 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  349 time(s)

Dafydd Bevan - SoftDeko

Senior Contributor

Hi,

I think it best if you contacted Customer Support with your issue.
http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/service/technical-support.do
as they are set up for this type of assistance. You can then explain first hand.

Best of luck

Dafydd

Tony

I've had terrible issues with PD7 lately ... decided to uninstall and reinstall - and went through the same problem Miss D described above... over and over.

Finally I came to this forum to see if any of the information could help... probably should have done that first.

Dafydd's information did the trick. One hundred thousand thank yous.

Tread gently and you'll hear the daisies grow...
[MSN]
McLean1

Contributor

I came across this when I searched - as I am now having this problem with PD7. I just installed the newest patch 3017. I have to confess I don't use Photo Now that much SO I don't know if there were issues before or not. Photo Now did show in my control panel. I tried to use it with the updated program and received the error message as described here. I tried to change/remove Photo Now on its own and it says there is a file missing. I uninstalled PD7 and deleted the folders that I found with Power Director as a name, cleaned the registry and reinstalled the full program 2227c(which is the last full program I had, the rest are patches) no luck. I came across this post and I followed the instructions in it (even though the people having issues had Vista), the only thing that was different was that under regedit current users I couldn't find the windows current version folder that was mentioned. I did everything else. Rebooted. Decided to reinstall the full program again 2227c and received the message that Photo Now wouldn't install.

This is mostly FYI. I can work around this because I don't use that part of the program much (although it still should work)I just thought I would add my 2 cents

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/07/2009 20:32:10

AEEEEM

I have been trying all day to get rid of mediaespresso and photonow from my system - they are like leeches hangin on for dear life! Control panel ccleaner and other removal software have failed to do this. I have now been stuck with the espresso ugly coffee mug in the middle of my very black screen! Rebooting makes no difference. I have followed the instructions to delete folders in the program file - the above refused to be deleted.
It is ridiculous to suggest that consumers should start trying to dabble with regedit - what are you thinking of Cyberlink? The uninstall for both loop around and around asking me if I want to uninstall - daaahhh! would I be trying to if I did not? I was only trying to change laptops but now I refuse to have any cyberlink product ion my systems.

How do I get rid of these 2 annoying entities please - ANYONE? Cyberlink are very quiet and have not responded.
borgus1

Senior Contributor

You have tacked your query onto a five-year old thread in the PD 11 forum. Try creating a new, descriptive topic in the Mediaexpresso forum...

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/forums/show/51.page

Forum Index » PowerDirector (previous versions)
Go to: