Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Nvidia 3D vision problem
WPtE [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 09, 2014 13:50 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

I've bought cyberlink powerdvd 14 ultra to only watch 3D content, so far without any luck. I'm on version 14.0.4412.58 currently.

When I try to select "Nvidia 3D vision ready monitor" the software simply pops up a message saying:
The content or device does not support this mode. Cyberlink PowerDVD will revert to the previous settings.

Strangely enough, it even dares to display the same message while nvidia 3D vision video player is playing video in 3D. Are you having a laugh?

Setup:
Windows 8.1 64bit pro
Nvidia GTX 660Ti - geforce driver 344.11
Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
NVidia 3D vision kit version 2

The monitor is hooked up with a display port cable, it's the only input the monitor has.

I've managed to get 3D vision working with everything really. Some examples:
- DirectX games (crysis 3, battlefield 3, battlefield 4, grid autosport)
- Youtube 3D in firefox
- 3dtv Stereoscopic Player
- Nvidia 3D vision video player
- corel windvd

I'd choose windvd for playback, but not everything plays with hardware decoding, software decoding is absolutely shit (artifacts) and sometimes it plays video in a weird stretched-out aspect ratio.

I've already had a discussion with the helpdesk, on what to do, without any luck. My last response is still left unanswered for over 10 days.

Does anyone know how to get it working?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 20. 2014 21:34

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Does this apply? From the help files.

Supported Hardware: HDMI 1.4 enabled 3D TV
Supported Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 and AMD Radeon HD 6800 series or above
Integrated Graphics: 2nd generation Intel Core processors or above
NVIDIA 3D Vision
NVIDIA 3D Vision Kit + 3D Vision-Ready Display + 3D Vision Compatible NVIDIA Graphics Card are required

Please download and install 3D VISION CD for Desktop GPUs v1.38 or Verde Notebook 3D VISION CD v1.38

Link to 3D Vision cd for desktop:
http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/3d_vision_stereo/1.38/NVIDIA_3D_Vision_CD_v1.38_WinVista_Win7_English_whql.zip

Also have you updated to the latest version.4412

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 21. 2014 10:23

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
WPtE [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the reply stevek.

This does not not apply, the 3D vision software from nvidia is already installed.
As I said, every other application with 3D vision capabilities is working correctly. PowerDVD is not working though.

I'm on the latest version of powerdvd

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Sep 22. 2014 09:17

CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
hi,
is it HDMi or DVI connection?
did you try to switch to HDMI 1.4 in PowerDVD?
What is the auto-detection result of PowerDVD?

thx
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
WPtE [Avatar]
[Post New]
Let me answer that question by quoting myself:
Quote: The monitor is hooked up with a display port cable, it's the only input the monitor has.

Furthermore, I'm not trying to switch to 3D HDMI output (they don't work either btw) but to a "NVIDIA 3D Vision Ready Monitor":

Also The NVidia control panel tells me I have one of those 3D vision ready monitors:

Autodetection just sets the output to cyan/red colours.

the specifications of my screen can be found here: http://www.asus.com/Monitors/ROG_SWIFT_PG278Q/specifications/
3D Technology: Shutter Glasses 3D Technology

notes:
Powered by NVIDIA G-SYNC Technology and NVIDIA Ultra Low Motion Blur Technology.
NVIDIA 3D Vision Ready (3D Vision 1 and 2 kit-compatible)

3D mode: 2560x1440 (up to 120Hz)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 22. 2014 08:36

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Do you get 3D when you run the 3D test?

I had a problem like this when I did not have the 3D emitter connected when I installed the drivers. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
WPtE [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Do you get 3D when you run the 3D test?

I had a problem like this when I did not have the 3D emitter connected when I installed the drivers.

Yes, the nvidia 3D demo works flawlessly
I've already experienced 3D vision with any of my games or the nvidia 3D video player.
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm having what reads as the same same issue; my 3D Vision configuration is perfect and working for all other applications except for PowerDVD 14 Ultra. The only differences are that I am using:

Windows 7 64-bit
NVIDIA Quadro 4000
NVIDIA Drivers 340.66 (latest for Quadro)

My "NVIDIA 3D Vision Ready Monitor" is actually 2 side-by-side stereo projectors with 3D Vision configured as 'nView Clone mode'. All that said, the hardware shouldn't matter at all here since 3D Vision is the abstraction layer and *all* the examples the OP mentions work for me too.

Notably, I tried the PowerDVD 13 trial and it fully works in 3D with my configuration. So, something changed in PowerDVD between then and now. I'd be curious as to see if others find the same.

As a solution, I'd be happy enough to be given a PowerDVD 13 in exchange for version 14, at least until this issue is fixed! I've also had a ticket open with support for about the same time, so at least I don't feel so alone!
WPtE [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks David, finally someone who brings some clarity to this issue.
I've tried powerdvd 13 as well, but for me it doesn't work either; same error message.
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks David, finally someone who brings some clarity to this issue.
I've tried powerdvd 13 as well, but for me it doesn't work either; same error message.

I only wish I could help further! I'm in exactly the same situation: I wouldn't have bought PowerDVD if I didn't need 3D Blu-ray playback & had exhausted other player options.

For what it's worth, I recall me needing to do something, such as disabling/re-enabling 3D Vision in my drivers before it would work for PowerDVD 13. I'd try this again, but the trial period has now expired on my computer. Whatever it was was simple, and it did end up working, though, so something has changed between versions.

Cyberlink's asking for more info on my support ticket. We'll see how far we get!
jasm [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Niagara Falls, Canada Joined: Oct 12, 2011 16:57 Messages: 40 Offline
[Post New]
I've got the BenQ XL2411
NVIDIA 3D Vision 2 Wireless Glasses Kit
GTX 560ti video card
using the benq provided dvi cable
bought the full version powerdvd 14
Installed powerdvd, and it run in beautiful 3d right away, without tweaking anything.
And I must say, I have a 60" plasma and a 144" projector, and I've never seen 3d as crisp and clear as on my 24" screen with powerdvd.
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I've got the BenQ XL2411
NVIDIA 3D Vision 2 Wireless Glasses Kit
GTX 560ti video card
using the benq provided dvi cable
bought the full version powerdvd 14
Installed powerdvd, and it run in beautiful 3d right away, without tweaking anything.
And I must say, I have a 60" plasma and a 144" projector, and I've never seen 3d as crisp and clear as on my 24" screen with powerdvd.

Lucky you

I'm thinking our issues must come down to a naive (broken) 3D Vision support check. The BD and 3D Advisor tool that I've just been asked to run by Cyberlink is reporting incorrect information over the place (wrong active GPU, RAM). The Advisor has a section (in the HTML output) that mentions "HDMI1.4 stereo: Unsupported"; my Quadro graphics card has no HDMI output (using DisplayPort) but still very much works with 3D vision. I'm Unsure if PowerDVD is using the same code in it's check.

Is there any way to simply bypass the PowerDVD 3D Vision configuration/hardware check? Or otherwise hack/workaround/fake out PowerDVD so it "thinks" the right hardware/configuration is present? I'd be surprised if the actual playback doesn't just work, since our configurations already work with other applications and 3D Vision...
jasm [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Niagara Falls, Canada Joined: Oct 12, 2011 16:57 Messages: 40 Offline
[Post New]
Well it's not about luck. I didn't post to brag or anything.
I was just letting you know that powerdvd14 does work with nvidia 3d vision2.
If everything else works in 3d okay on your computer with your setup, then there may be a software problem.
Did you try completely uninstalling everything, including the trial version and then reinstall the full version of Powerdvd 14.
My previous version (13) and the trial version of powerdvd 14 didn't work for me in 3d.
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Well it's not about luck. I didn't post to brag or anything.

I know, I'm just annoyed with having had PowerDVD 13 trial work, only to buy version 14 and have it not work.

Quote:
I was just letting you know that powerdvd14 does work with nvidia 3d vision2.
If everything else works in 3d okay on your computer with your setup, then there may be a software problem.
Did you try completely uninstalling everything, including the trial version and then reinstall the full version of Powerdvd 14.
My previous version (13) and the trial version of powerdvd 14 didn't work for me in 3d.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did initially uninstall things, though I didn't go beyond just the standard uninstall processes. Anything's worth a shot so I'll try and remove everything, clean up any cruft in the registry and try installing again.
WPtE [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: If everything else works in 3d okay on your computer with your setup, then there may be a software problem.

Yes it's a software problem, CyberLink didn't implement 3D vision correctly, it's just broken. Installing or uninstalling software isn't going to do anything. I even tried on a freshly installed windows 7 on a spare disk.

Quote: I'm thinking our issues must come down to a naive (broken) 3D Vision support check.

I'm pretty sure that's the main issue yes. Why aren't they following Nvidia software specs? Clearly, other developers managed to do this.
It's just stupid I can play 3D video in corel windvd while powerdvd still keeps complaining about stuff.

I've asked CyberLink for a refund, so I'll just be waiting on that to happen.
If their support is no longer answering my questions or trying to help me, what else am I supposed to do?
Billy7 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 27, 2014 17:49 Messages: 93 Offline
[Post New]
Hi. This might not apply to you but 3d is botched on a lot of the latest nvidia drivers.
Try reverting to 327.23 and see if it resolves your issue.
Read this thread. It applies to 3dtv but might affect 3D vision too.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/767088/3d-vision/broken-3d-bluray-playback-since-fake-3d-driver-introduced-unfixable-/

Haswell 4770k watercooled @4.6 ghz. 16GB RAM,
Nvidia 980TI GTX, Marantz AV7702mk2, Apogee Duet, 3x Adam A77X, 4x Mackie MR5's, 4X Mackie CR4
Panasonic PT-AT6000e projector, 120" fixed projector screen, Panasonic ST30 50" TV.
WPtE [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi. This might not apply to you but 3d is botched on a lot of the latest nvidia drivers.
Try reverting to 327.23 and see if it resolves your issue.
Read this thread. It applies to 3dtv but might affect 3D vision too.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/767088/3d-vision/broken-3d-bluray-playback-since-fake-3d-driver-introduced-unfixable-/

Thanks for the suggestion Billy. I've first removed my drivers with driver fusion, then I installed 327.23 but no luck.
Billy7 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry to hear that.
Haswell 4770k watercooled @4.6 ghz. 16GB RAM,
Nvidia 980TI GTX, Marantz AV7702mk2, Apogee Duet, 3x Adam A77X, 4x Mackie MR5's, 4X Mackie CR4
Panasonic PT-AT6000e projector, 120" fixed projector screen, Panasonic ST30 50" TV.
WPtE [Avatar]
[Post New]
Good news from the support department. After my refund request they came back to me that they have escalated the issue to the product team for investigation.
They'll soon try to debug remotely on my computer.

Well, I'm happy not all hope is lost yet
Billy7 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ask then to contact Nvidia about the 3d bluray issue as if you get it working you'll find the 3D is botched anyway unless you use the driver I posted earlier.
Read the thread, it's a disgrace.
Surely cyberlink know about this? Haswell 4770k watercooled @4.6 ghz. 16GB RAM,