Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Program crashes when I click on Particle Room
higgy1968 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Midwest, USA Joined: Aug 27, 2014 13:31 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
every time I click on the Particle Room, the program crashes, then message from Windows that the display driver stopped working.

I have installed the patch. Also, system is Windows 7, video cards are (2) nVidia GeForce 9800 GT 512 x 2 set as SLI, with the latest driver installed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: every time I click on the Particle Room, the program crashes, then message from Windows that the display driver stopped working.
I have installed the patch. Also, system is Windows 7, video cards are (2) nVidia GeForce 9800 GT 512 x 2 set as SLI, with the latest driver installed.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,
SLI wont help you with video editing. 512mb cards will struggle. Please provide the full diagnostic of your PC, members can then give their opinion as to the likely cause of your problem.
Guide info please provide, Part A & B, link: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/29701.page
I suggest you update your graphics card drivers by visiting the Nvidia website and do not rely on any Windows messages about drivers being uptodate.
Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 27. 2014 16:01

higgy1968 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Graphics cards are updated (something I always do, also using a clean install of the drivers)
 Filename
higgy1968DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DirectX Diagnostic
 Filesize
54 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
270 time(s)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Graphics cards are updated (something I always do, also using a clean install of the drivers)

Hi Higgy1968,
Thank you for the diagnostic. I think you should take a look at a warning notice listed in the "spec" of PowerDirector about Nvidia GPU's using driver 340.43 or later, link: http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-ultra/spec_en_US.html
You have "Driver File Version: 9.18.0013.4052 (English)"
"NVIDIA:
GeForce 8500GT/9800GT and above
GeForce GT/GTS/GTX 200/400/500/600 Series
PLEASE NOTE: For users of NVIDIA cards who have updated to graphics driver 340.43 or later, the video hardware acceleration feature in PowerDirector is no longer available. To re-enable hardware acceleration, please download and install an earlier driver."

Please change your driver - it might help.

Please provide a screenshot of the Edit Workspace and a separate image of the Trim window. I'd like to see what you're looking at.

Please advise what video you are editing - SD or HD and what file extension/format?

Dafydd
Note: My suggestion to update your drivers in the earlier post looks to have been wrong.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 28. 2014 04:08

higgy1968 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I uninstalled the latest nvidia driver (340.52) and in safe mode did a clean install of the previous driver (337.8. Still crashes when you click on the Particle Room, goes to a black screen. I am working with HD video.

So I uninstalled PD and made sure all files were removed, re-installed program and latest patch, program still crashes.

This was on my desktop computer, so I tried the program on my laptop which is a Dell i5, and it works! Problem is, I would really like to use it on my desktop. This is a first time I have had a problem with a program on my desktop, video, games and everything else has always worked and run smoothly. Can't figure out why it is only the Particle Room that crashes.

Some day I plan on upgrading the motherboard and processor, maybe it will work then, but that won't happen any time soon, until then I will just have to use Power Director on my laptop.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
"NVIDIA:
PLEASE NOTE: For users of NVIDIA cards who have updated to graphics driver 340.43 or later, the video hardware acceleration feature in PowerDirector is no longer available. To re-enable hardware acceleration, please download and install an earlier driver."

How unfortunate, this has happened way too often. How can CL claim "CyberLink has built strategic partnerships with leading CPU and GPU providers and a solid reputation for delivering high-quality, interoperable, and fast time-to-market solutions that keep our OEM partners from top PC brands on the leading edge. " http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/company/press-news-content.do?pid=3647

I understand issues, but as a strategic partner, CL had more than enough time to resolve. 75+ days since the issue appeared to consumers and no patch, that's just unacceptable. With a strategic partnership it should have never hit the consumers initially. Why the CL user base continues to tolerate this type of support is puzzling.

Conversely, think what the company and products could be if they'd have any reasonable consumer support of the products and simply address the many issues this forum exposes with PD. Talk about free code evaluation feedback. More than likely, CL is too busy developing the next release, PD13, with it's set of issues for the user base to purchase and test.

Jeff
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
According to reports that I have read, electronic products and software production skeds and pricing leave scant margin for extensive debugging. So the consumer becomes the defacto tester.

What's inscrutable, as Jeff hints, is when an obvious problem is cited in the manufacturer's own forums, but remains unresolved.

Somewhat off topic, but case in point, is that MS broke its FAX utility in Windows 8. It remained broken in 8.1 a year later, even though posts to MS user forums noted the fault and even supplied a fix, which could have been pushed via Windows Update.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Sep 02. 2014 00:05

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote:
"NVIDIA:

How unfortunate, this has happened way too often. How can CL claim "CyberLink has built strategic partnerships with leading CPU and GPU providers and a solid reputation for delivering high-quality, interoperable, and fast time-to-market solutions that keep our OEM partners from top PC brands on the leading edge. " http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/company/press-news-content.do?pid=3647

I understand issues, but as a strategic partner, CL had more than enough time to resolve. 75+ days since the issue appeared to consumers and no patch, that's just unacceptable. With a strategic partnership it should have never hit the consumers initially. Why the CL user base continues to tolerate this type of support is puzzling.

Conversely, think what the company and products could be if they'd have any reasonable consumer support of the products and simply address the many issues this forum exposes with PD. Talk about free code evaluation feedback. More than likely, CL is too busy developing the next release, PD13, with it's set of issues for the user base to purchase and test.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
Thank you for making the very valid observation(s) and posting your thoughts. I will pass on the feedback for CyberLink to read and evaluate.

Quote: According to reports that I have read, electronic products and software production skeds and pricing leave scant margin for extensive debugging. So the consumer becomes the defacto tester.

What's inscrutable, as Jeff hints, is when an obvious problem is cited in the manufacturer's own forums, but remains unresolved.

Somewhat off topic, but case in point, is that MS broke its FAX utility in Windows 8. It remained broken in 8.1 a year later, even though posts to MS user forums noted the fault and even supplied a fix, which could have been pushed via Windows Update.

Hi borgus1,
Thank you for giving support and an additional view on what Jeff wrote. Your input will be passed onto CyberLink.

Thank you both again for highlighting very pointed concerns.

Dafydd
higgy1968 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Finally I found an nvidia driver that works with PowerDirector.
NO more crashes, and PD works very smooth.

It is nvidia 334.89 WHQL drivers from February 18, 2014,
http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/73218/en-us

Hope this helps someone.

Stefaan2014 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Belgium Joined: Sep 24, 2014 16:11 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
HI higgy1968,

You sure were of great help !
I too tried several Nvidia drivers to get rid of the abend in particle room but did not think one had to go back to 334.89.
This is DRIVER HELL allways over and over again in every new app regardless of state of the art soft and hardware.
This is Nvidia to blame.
Anyway thanks to you this problem is solved but of course new softwares require newer NV driver versions so
in the end we are all stuck unless Cyberlink can solve this problem as well as the hardware acceleration with the newer driver versions.
Strange but I have PD 13 Deluxe and not version 12 ! So the problem maintained across versions I guess.
higgy1968 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I just did an update that was suppose to fix the nvidia crash problem. Then I updated nvidia to the latest driver. Guess what, the crash still exists in the particle room. I was considering buying the latest version of Power Director 13, but if that is what you are using and the crash still happens, what's the point!

Really wish the latest driver for nvidia would work with Power Director!
Stefaan2014 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thx Higgy 1968.

That's unfortunate, but I guess you tried the PD12 update ?
Reading this I'm afraid I won't even try tio update my drivers again !!!
Very strange, why would Cyberlink then claim the issue to be fixed ! ?

higgy1968 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Very disappointed! Just upgraded to version 13 Ultimate, and still have the same crash!!! even after doing the update to the program. I was in hopes that the crash in the particle room would be fixed for those using current nvidia drivers, but nope, it isn't. This means that I have to go back to a driver that is almost a year old now. Not happy!

Stefaan2014 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm not happy either.
Real strange !
I too have stayed, because of this bug wityh a 1 year old driver.
Unbelievable.
OTOH Cyberlink software is still my favourite, regardless.
I hope they fix this by version 14 !
higgy1968 [Avatar]
[Post New]
It is my favorite video software too. I just wish they could come up with a fix for the program so we could use a current driver.
bob323 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 15, 2015 18:15 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Would someone with correct and current information pls provide an update on the NVIDIA driver conflicts with PD 12 & 13? Even the recommended rollback driver 337.88 doesn't work! Click on Particle room and CRASH!
higgy1968 [Avatar]
[Post New]
It is nvidia 334.89 WHQL drivers from February 18, 2014 that work.

I had the same problem and driver 334.89 works!
bob323 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 15, 2015 18:15 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you. That one seems to work - for now! Nvidia & Cyberlink need to get their act together!
higgy1968 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, I agree! I keep everything up-to-date except the nvidia driver because of CyberLink. Sure wish there was an update that fixed this problem!
deandip [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 18, 2015 21:28 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Just upgraded from PowerDirector 11 to PowerDirector 13 and encountered this problem with crashing from opening the particle room.

I also had no idea why hardware acceleration never worked for me before in PD 11 even when I had it enabled.

But now after seeing this thread and downgrading to driver version 334.89, I don't crash in the particle room, and I can finally use hardware acceleration on some video formats.

I hope someday there will be news that updated drivers can be used once again for these graphic cards.