Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
USB Analogue Video Capture Devices for Windows 8.1
Edgar Rocha
Newbie Location: Portugal Joined: Jun 22, 2014 16:06 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Does anybody know of a USB Video Capture Device for analogue video signal that works in a Windows 8.1 environment, for me to use with Power Director 12?

I still have VHS cassettes that I want to convert to MPEG files and to DVD.

In the past, with Windows XP, I had the Pinnacle bundled solution that worked fine.
Now, I upgraded to a laptop with Windows 8.1 and lost the Pinnacle hardware/software in the process.

To replace the video software, I bought Power Director 12, and I am happy with it.

To replace the capture box, I bought EzCAP 116 USB Video Capture Device (mainly because the publicity says it is Windows 8 compatible and, as I live in Europe, because it ships from the UK).

Unfortunately, it was a bad choice. In my soon-to-be-disposed-of Windows XP laptop, it works fine. But, in my new Windows 8.1 laptop, it does not work. Sometimes, it does not capture the VHS/VCR signal at all. In other occasions, it captures the video but the audio is either not present or is awfully distorted. This happens both with Power Director 12 and with the video software that comes with the capture device. I have been in touch with EzCAP Technical Support and I have been through a nightmare of installing, uninstalling and reinstalling drivers. No way to get it working. I suspect that the device driver has been prepared for, at most, Windows 7, not for Windows 8/8.1.

Does anybody know something that works in Windows 8.1?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.

Edgar
BillyR
Senior Member Location: Southeast US Joined: Jun 19, 2013 14:33 Messages: 156 Offline
[Post New]
You may want to have a look at this thread:
http://tinyurl.com/phng4ky

From what I see, it looks like you may want to have a look at Hauppage or Total Recorder for this purpose.

Posts like this make me glad I stuck with Windows 7. Dell Precision 7510 Laptop
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit | Intel(R) XEON(R) CPU E3-1505M v5 @2.80 GHz
RAM: 32 GB
Windows Experience Index 7.5
Edgar Rocha
[Post New]
Billy

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply.

I am not familiar with these makes, but I will look for Hauppage and for Total Recorder in Google.

With respect to upgrading to Windows 8/8.1, I had no choice, my old Windows XP became obsolete and, in my country, they are only selling laptops with Windows 8 pre-installed.

I hope I will still have the contribution of someone with real experience in Windows 8.1.

Thanks again

Edgar
BillyR
Senior Member Location: Southeast US Joined: Jun 19, 2013 14:33 Messages: 156 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not sure my suggestion of Hauppage or Total Recorder was useful. I was basing it on posts in the thread I cited. I have both products, but neither one of them seems to be appropriate for this purpose. However, this product on Amazon looks promising (Hopefully it's available on the European version of Amazon):
http://tinyurl.com/l6asb5p

It is supposedly compatible with Windows 8, and hopefully that will include 8.1. The price seems to be right, and there are a lot of customer reviews that you may want to look at before you commit. I have a feeling that, by now, most people have already copied their VCR tapes via some method or other, and available hardware/software for that purpose is drying up.

There are more such devices on this page:
http://tinyurl.com/qy9rq98 Dell Precision 7510 Laptop
Daniel.Saxer [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Argentina Joined: Apr 06, 2014 23:08 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I use the AVerMedia C281, it has, component video input, you have to put a HDD or pendrive, and it record your video in MP4 format, and you can then edit in PD12

there is also the model C283S

http://www.amazon.com/AVERMEDIA-C281-Capture-Record-resolution/dp/B005YR0M0W/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1407165601&sr=1-10

http://www.amazon.com/AVerMedia-C283S-HD-EzRecorder-Set-top/dp/B0091CFBBG/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1407165601&sr=1-9

Cheers!! Daniel Saxer
Asus GT750
i74700 2.4 + GTX770M + 16Gb ram
cuartetto [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jan 28, 2011 20:22 Messages: 168 Offline
[Post New]
If you have access to a Hi8 camera, you might be able to use that. Feed the video and audio to the camera input and feed the output digital to you computer.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: If you have access to a Hi8 camera, you might be able to use that. Feed the video and audio to the camera input and feed the output digital to you computer.

Will Hi8 camcorder work? Whatever camcorder you use must have a FireWire (IEEE) port and be able to do a passthrough. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
The Hauppauge USB Live 2 Analog Video Digitizer has specs that say Window 8. I Do not know about Windows 8.1.

Microsoft® Windows® 8, 7, Windows Vista or Windows XP (service pack 2)

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

BillyR
[Post New]
Quote: The Hauppauge USB Live 2 Analog Video Digitizer has specs that say Window 8. I Do not know about Windows 8.1.

Microsoft® Windows® 8, 7, Windows Vista or Windows XP (service pack 2)

That looks like a very good option. Didn't know about that product, but I have numerous Hauppauge tuners in my computers, and if that unit performs its function as well as my tuners do it would be a great choice. Dell Precision 7510 Laptop
Edgar Rocha
[Post New]
Thank you all.

I am checking your suggestions. I am facing 2 problems, though.

1) The EzCAP product I bought from the UK also announced Windows 8 compatibility, and it does not work (no wonder, the drivers were made in 2009; an alternative driver dated 2012 also does not work). No one has actually said that had personal experience of the capture device under Windows 8/8.1, that would be reassuring.

2) The products announced in the US as Windows 8/8.1 compatible are not available in Europe. Amazon.uk and Amazon.fr have Windows 7 versions of Hauppage. I only found Windows 8 Hauppage in Germany, but I do not speak German to read the instructions and make sure it is a Windows 8/8.1 version.

Has anybody heard of Diamond MultiMedia VC500? Apparently, there is a VC500CXT version for Windows 8. It has good recent reviews (a site of top tens), a representative in Europe and a fair price ($40, before shipping costs). That was my first choice. I did not buy it then because... Well, I cannot remember why anymore: either they did not ship to Portugal or shipping was too expensive or they required PayPal and, at the time, I only had MBNet.

I will go on researching the matter. And maybe waiting a little more, someone will came forward with actual Windows 8.1 experience.

Thank you again.

Edgar
Edgar Rocha
[Post New]
Problem solved in an unexpected way.

In my surfing the net in search of USB analogue video capture devices, I found that the info on Windows 8/8.1 compatibility in the product specifications is very hazardous. As a matter of fact, I bought a product that claimed such compatibility and that proved not to be true. In the process, I became aware of the importance of the drivers and that many firms were not updating them for Windows 8/8.1.
Trying to find out the firms that updated their drives, I was lucky and bumped into the site of the guy/firm that makes the video drives for EzCAP.TV (that is where I bought the EzCAP 116 device) and several other products/makes (including, for instance, Pinnacle’s Dazzle device).
The site (easycapexpertti.mybisi.com) contains information on drivers by firm and product model, information that is not provided by EzCAP.TV itself. For the model of my device, the driver that is provided in EzCAP’s CD is not even mentioned (probably because it is obsolete, as I suspected for a 2009 driver, pre-dating Windows . The other drivers are mainly for Windows XP to 7, not for Windows 8/8-1. There is only one driver for Windows 8 which, by comparison, I found to be the 2012 driver that EzCAP experts suggest as an alternative for users who want to use the device with Skype, MSN, etc.. Well, it happens to be the only driver that works under Windows 8! I had already installed and tried it before and found that it managed to capture the video, but the accompanying audio is awfully distorted. However, the site has the solution, because there is a note for Windows 7 users with a trick that I immediately saw that would work for Windows 8 as well: to replace the audio driver contained in the Video/Audio driver by a native Windows audio driver. There is even a YouTube tutorial on how to do that using the driver updating facilities of the Windows 8 Device Manager.
I tried it. I installed the 2012 driver, kept the video component and “updated” the audio driver to a native Windows driver called USB Audio Device. It works. I already captured with good video and audio quality using Power Director 12 (naturally, this solution works also for other programs that I have been using for comparison and tests).
In summary, Windows 8.1 is not to blame in this case and the EzCAP box is OK. But the package box/drivers that EzCAP.TV claims to be Windows 8 compatible comes with a 2009 driver that is not Windows 8 compatible. And the 2012 driver that EzCAP suggests as an alternative for complaining clients has a faulty audio component. This can be fixed by a “trick”, but they do not provide the adequate information, neither in the installation instructions nor in the Technical Support/Forum.
I lost more than a month in installations, uninstallations, reinstallations, questions, experiments, fear that I had a bought a faulty laptop or that I had badly tampered with the OS, etc.. And I was lucky to discover yesterday this solution that saves me from spending more money on an alternative device with no guarantee that it would work. Anyway, all is well that ends well.

For the record and for other users that might have the same problem, I can summarize here the results of the now unnecessary research that, following your suggestions, I did to find reliable USB analogue video capture devices for Windows 8/8.1

1) Many devices/drivers have not been upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8/8.1. Furthermore, Amazon and the like are still selling the Windows 7 versions, even when Windows 8/8.1 versions are available from the manufacturer. However, even when the description of the product indicates Windows 8/8.1 compatibility, this is not necessarily so (in my case, for example, I was cheated). One has to contact the manufacturer and ask about it, even if a positive reply is no guarantee. The best bet is to ask commercial support whether new versions have been made to take Windows 8 into account and make sure you buy those versions.
2) In Europe, it is very difficult to get hold of Windows 8/8.1 VHS video grabber. First, EzCAP seems to be the only local supplier (their package works, if you know the trick that I just learned at my cost). Second, even for suppliers that, in the US, are offering Windows 8/8.1 versions, the versions sold in Europe are still Windows 7 (I only found one exception for a product in Amazon Germany). If you try to buy directly from the US, there is the problem that some manufacturers and online stores do not ship to Europe or estimate exorbitant shipping costs (I had an estimate of about $100 of shipping costs for $40 worth of product).

This topic can be closed now. Thank you all for your prompt replies and for your contributions.

Edgar