Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
What Video Quality/Format etc do I need for youtube? Why does it take so long to upload?
bestbass42
Member Location: Wolverhampton,England. Joined: Apr 01, 2011 10:22 Messages: 60 Offline
[Post New]
Hello Everyone! Its been a good couple of years since I've been on this forum. In that time I've had one or two little grips which I will come to in a bit but I have also upgraded to PowerDirector 12 Ultra 64bit & the PC I'm now using is a top spec Alienware 18. Not really having any issues (yet) with the PD12 other than there dosent seem to be as many things to use in the 'Transition Room' as there was with PD9.

The main reason I'm posting is I make a lot of HD videos of my daughters U18's football team. These are between 15-30 minutes long. On the video camera I use I have it set to the very best HD quality (the camera I have recently been using is a Sony HDR-CX360VE ).

When I've completed making the film on PD12 & go to produce I usually use the M-PEG 4 file format, my PC usually renders it in about 2-3 minutes. However there is now a drop down 'Quality' list starting at M-PEG 4 640x480/24p (6Mbps) & going all the way up to MPEG-4 4K 4069x2160/25p (50Mbps). These options wernt on my previous PD9. Can someone please tell me which is the best setting for a youtube video? I Am currently using one of the settings near the beginning (about 2 or 3 up) & its taking over 10 hours to load onto youtube!!! It also says on the youtube upload page ''Your videos will process faster if you encode into a streamable file format.'' What does this mean?

Also if I use the MOV setting in produce the quality is perfect but theres never any sound!!! Why is this? My videos feature a lot of slow-mo's (goals & saves etc) & a bit of music at the start & end.

Thank You in advance! Cyberlink PowerDirector12 Ultra 64bit.

Alienware 18, 4th Gen intel Core i7, Windows 8.1

Apple iMac G5, 9 Years old & slow as a snail!!!

Sony HDR-CX360VE

Sony Cyber-Shot DSCW200.

Nikon D750.

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX FQ360.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
I use wmv 1920 by 1080. That is one format that youTube likes. Go to their help files to see the others. The message si that YouTube is re-encoding your videos to their standard. If you encode to what they don;t have to , then it goes faster.

I usually make the video and then later use the YouTube uploader. It seems to work faster.

What upload speeds are you getting from your ISP - mine is just under 2 mbps. If yours is slower, then it will take longer. If you upload during a busy time for YouTube, it will naturally take longer.

Unless you do a lot of uploading to YouTube and they have enabled you to upload larger files, you are limited to 15 minutes (don;t you get that message in Power Director?). Power Director gives me an option to break the file into parts that YouTube will accept. Do you get that?

Did you install all the downloads? I get many more than PD9. I can't tell how many because I am encoding (rendering) a video as we type.
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I use WMV also but I limit my size to 720P (1280x720) 6 Mbps.

I don't see much advantage to uploading 1080. I can I and have at times.

My Upload speed from my ISP is 1 Mbps (or about 125 KBytes per second).

Bigger files take longer. I use the YouTube Uploader in My Youtube Account.

For most uploads, I start the upload, go watch TV. You tube does give an estimate of how long the upload will take.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

bestbass42
Member Location: Wolverhampton,England. Joined: Apr 01, 2011 10:22 Messages: 60 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Guys for the replies. Yes I have been uploading on youtube for years & upload long videos on a regular basis & I also use the youtube upload page to upload videos.

I Have found an app called HANDBRAKE which really crams the file down to a small size. I Have just used it on the large size video I made which originally said on youtube was going to take 1900 minutes to upload. I Have just checked the quality & there seems very little difference at all.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated. Cyberlink PowerDirector12 Ultra 64bit.

Alienware 18, 4th Gen intel Core i7, Windows 8.1

Apple iMac G5, 9 Years old & slow as a snail!!!

Sony HDR-CX360VE

Sony Cyber-Shot DSCW200.

Nikon D750.

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX FQ360.