Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Audio filters?
mrbothered1 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: UK Joined: Aug 19, 2013 04:44 Messages: 37 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,
I video'd my sons Wedding yesterday. When I import it into the PC and play back there is a beeping on various parts of the tape. It sounds like Morse code, obviously some sort of interference picked up by the camera. It's just loud enough to be annoying and spoils the video somewhat. Does anybody know of a way to filter this out? I'll try anything.
Thanks guys.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi all,
I video'd my sons Wedding yesterday. When I import it into the PC and play back there is a beeping on various parts of the tape. It sounds like Morse code, obviously some sort of interference picked up by the camera. It's just loud enough to be annoying and spoils the video somewhat. Does anybody know of a way to filter this out? I'll try anything.
Thanks guys.

If your Video has MP3 audio. You might try converting the video and audio to a different format with a file converter.

MP3 is known to cause strange problems in Powerdirector.

If your video does not have MP3 audio, you may have picked up Radio Interference. In which case I have no idea how to get rid of that.
If the sound is of an exact frequency, it may be possible to filter it out in WaveEditor.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
If Carl's suggestions do not work out for you, install Audacity - a free audio utility. It has EQ and isolation capabilities beyond those of the basic Cyberlink wave editor.
mrbothered1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks guys, I do have Audacity but rarely use it. More research methinks. Not sure what format the audio is. I captured it in PD11 but I think it is just one file?
borgus1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Attach a small sample of the unwanted audio if possible. That may help folks analyze it.
mrbothered1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Cheers again guys. I can get the audio into Waveditor. I have attached a small sample with the 'morse' beeping. I'm away tomorrow until Thursday buy any help would be appreciated.
 Filename
Audio interferance..wav
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
5363 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
257 time(s)
borgus1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
The "code" is in the 3K range and can be reduced so it's much less noticeable, if not fully vanquished, through use of a notch filter in that frequency range, or perhaps a band stop/cut tool.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Is this good enough for you mrbothered1? For CL suite of tools it would require AudioDirector vs WaveEditor.

Jeff
 Filename
fix.WAV
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
5363 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
256 time(s)
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
VSTs are also a consideration, though the descriptions of them are often full of audio-master gobbley gook. Both WaveEditor and AudioDirector accept VST plug-ins. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
borgus1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: For CL suite of tools it would require AudioDirector vs WaveEditor.

Nice, Jeff. What tool did you use?
Dave456
Senior Member Location: Youngstown, Ohio Joined: Oct 30, 2010 06:46 Messages: 280 Offline
[Post New]
Good work Jeff...

Can't hear it at all.

Dave HP Envy 17
Win10 Pro (64-bit) Intel i7 Core - 4510U @ 2.00GHz 2.60GHz
16GB ram
PowerDirector 11 Ultra 64-bit ver. 11.0.0.3625
Cyberlink Power2Go Deluxe 7.0.0.1827
PowerShot SX40HS
Canon Vixia
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Nice, Jeff. What tool did you use?

As indicated, to use just CL it would require AD to my knowledge, you could also use WE but you would have to augment with free VST plug-in like dtblkfx http://rekkerd.org/dtblkfx/ . The file using WE and this free plug in attached.

mrbothered1, if suitable, I'll write-up how, it's pretty basic. If it's throughout your taping one can easily apply to all and it shouldn't do to much damage, maybe some high pitch music might be affected slightly. You would just have to try and see.

Jeff
 Filename
fix_vst.wav
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
5363 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
244 time(s)
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Is this good enough for you mrbothered1? For CL suite of tools it would require AudioDirector vs WaveEditor.

Excellent work Jeff.

_________________________________________________________________________________ Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
mrbothered1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Jeff, that is excellent but I've no idea how you did it. If you could give me some instructions that would be brilliant. So much better. I'm going away shortly, back tomorrow night so if I don't post right back I'm not being ignorant.
Thanks for all the input guys.
mrbothered1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Had a very quick play with it. Got the VST in and working, seems simple enough even for me. I'll have a play with it when I get back. lovely stuff. Thanks again
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
mrbothered1,

The Morse code beeps you hear have roughly a frequency of 3600Hz, 4400, 7200, 11700, 14300, 15100. Some appear to be harmonics (7200=2*3600), but who cares, I don't know the source of them anyhow. You can see these highlighted with a arrow as the vertical lines in the attached pic (Freq_issue) of the dtblkfx screen capture of the Spectrogram. These are virtually constant frequency interference so what you can do is simply define some very narrow filters to remove the effect. I've defined 5 filters with dtblkfx as shown in the attached pic (Freq_issue2), for the last band to cover 14300 and 15100Hz I simply created a larger range of the frequency filter, most humans won't hear much at that freq anyhow. I simply used -inf dB filter setting but you could roll off the frequency range a given dB level if desired by changing the filter settings.

Obviously by adding the filter your removing sound at those discrete frequency ranges. This may or may not have a adverse effect on other "musical" sections of your captured event.

Jeff
[Thumb - Freq_issue.png]
 Filename
Freq_issue.png
[Disk]
 Description
Morse beeps defined
 Filesize
269 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
143 time(s)
[Thumb - Freq_issue2.png]
 Filename
Freq_issue2.png
[Disk]
 Description
corrective filters
 Filesize
203 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
125 time(s)
mrbothered1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Many thanks for all the help guys, my video of my Sons wedding is saved. That you can get this sort of help for free from people you will never meet is fantastic. Thanks again.