CyberLink Community Forum
Hw encode error- can't produce  XML
Forum Index » PowerDirector (previous versions)
Joshua82

Hello,

I have been using Powerdirector 10 for about 5 months now with no problems, however I went to produce a short video shot in HD using a Gopro camera, producing in mpeg 4 the other day and it said 'HW encode error'. It said this when trying to produce in other formats too. So I updated my Powerdirector and it is now running on build 2231. This has still not solved the problem though. When I go to produce the video in mpeg 4 it does not say the HW encode error anymore, however it does not produce at all and gets frozen. I managed to produce it using Windows media video and it worked on this format.
Due to the problem still being there I installed another update which it said was available and after this Pqwerdirector wouldn't even open. It freezes at the start up screen and has to shut down.
So I restored my computer before I did that last update and it now opens, but i am back to he same problem where it says HW encode error. I am not sure why it does this as it has been working fine for ages now.
I am using Windows 8.
The build of the programme is 2231.
SR number: VDE120823-04
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
stevek

Senior Contributor

Please post your computer specs via Part B here:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page

Did you update your video card/chip lately?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/11/2013 10:18:44

Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
VelocityMicro, I7, Nvidia GTX 560ti, 12G Memory. W7- Ultimate.64 bit
Alienware laptop I7 NVidia GTX 650,
Joshua82

No I have not updated my video card recently, how would I do this and know what to install?
 Filename DxDiagJoshua82.txt [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 85 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  184 time(s)

stevek

Senior Contributor

You just installed Windows 8 and that seems to have updated your video chip.

What is the video capture device that shows up in the Part B and what kind of display are you using?

Have you tried to shut off the hardware encoding and encode (render) in software? It is one of the Setting options.

Joshua82

The HP Truevision HD is that what you mean for the video capture device? And I am not sure on the display, how do I find this out?
Sorry if I seem lost, but am completely new to all this and don't know much about computers and software etc.
I just tried turning off the hardware encoding, I try to produce a video and it still says 'HW encode error'?
stevek

Senior Contributor

Joshua82 wrote:The HP Truevision HD is that what you mean for the video capture device? And I am not sure on the display, how do I find this out?
Sorry if I seem lost, but am completely new to all this and don't know much about computers and software etc.
I just tried turning off the hardware encoding, I try to produce a video and it still says 'HW encode error'?

The Part B (aka dxdiag.exe) shows a USB connected device -- what is it?

Video Capture Devices
Number of Devices: 1
---------------------
FriendlyName: HP Truevision HD
SymbolicLink: \\?\usb#vid_0bda&pid_58de&mi_00#7&39a995ed&1&0000#{e5323777-f976-4f5b-9b55-b94699c46e44}\global
Manufacturer: Microsoft

It looks to be a web cam. Have you tried to remove it? To see if that may be an issue?

Are you using the laptop's screen or something else?

I don't have W8 or 8.1 so I can't do any trouble shooting. Did the problem show up AFTER you updated to W8.1?

I don't know everything; sometimes I wonder if I know anything. I'm just older and have more experience.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/11/2013 04:52:33

Joshua82

Yes thats a webcam, however it is built into the laptop, not usb. And i am using my laptop screen yes.
And yes actually, i updated to windows 8.1 and this is the first time i have used powerdirector after that update.
stevek

Senior Contributor

Joshua82 wrote:Yes thats a webcam, however it is built into the laptop, not usb. And i am using my laptop screen yes.
And yes actually, i updated to windows 8.1 and this is the first time i have used powerdirector after that update.

Perhaps that gives you hint(s). Good luck.

Joshua82

After searching on the internet quickly many people are saying you cannot change back to windows 8 once 8.1 is installed.
Dubey633

I just posted about a similar problem with Power2Go v.9 after I upgraded to Windows 8.1. Since the upgrade, I get the HW Encode Error message box, which is in a Windows window and not a Cyberlink window. It will not let me burn a DVD from an MP4 video file. Something in 8.1 must be the problem, but it doesn't seem that Cyberlink has discovered this or is even aware of this problem. My tech support responses have not been of any help in resolving this issue so far.
PeteJ3

I have the same problem with a new HP with win 8. It isn't just Cyberlink. Pinnacle gives the same error if you try to make a mpg or dvd. Both of these are good programs that have been screwed up by MS as I've been using both for a long time. Not sure of the answer except possibly to buy a new video card and hate to do that when unsure. My new PC with 8 was acting a bit goofy and it is horrible with 8.1 It has hung up twice already this AM and had to force a reboot. May have to go back to win 7.
potter20

Hi I am having the same problem. Just bought my laptop and yes it does have Windows 8.1. I keep getting HW encode error as well. ANy solutions yet! I just bought Power2go and am not happy!
stevek

Senior Contributor

potter20 wrote:Hi I am having the same problem. Just bought my laptop and yes it does have Windows 8.1. I keep getting HW encode error as well. ANy solutions yet! I just bought Power2go and am not happy!

Please start your own thread in the proper forum. Give all the important information. Use this as a guide.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page

Actually I see you did so -Please don't double post.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 29/01/2014 10:13:35

PeteJ3

Problem with Win 8.1 isn't Cyberlink. I get the same HW error message with Pinnacle and Adobe Premiere. (I have a new HP desktop) Reimaged system and did not upgrade to 8.1 All 3 editors work fine now on Win 8.0. Cyberlink is great as always. Don't plan to upgrade until MS offers something better than 8.1. I have a separate data disk so I don't lose stuff if I have to change systems or rebuild.

Forum Index » PowerDirector (previous versions)
Go to: