Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 13 will not resume playback of last scene (Blu-ray only)
alfredog1976 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: California Joined: Aug 30, 2013 15:26 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,
I just purchased PowerDVD 13 and I am liking a lot of the features. One thing though, Blu-Rays wont resume to last scene, even though I have it set in "Settings" (Only DVDs resume). Why is this? My previous DVD/Blu-Ray software player was able to auto resume fine. Thank you.
kokap [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 01, 2013 05:01 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, this is a big disadvantage of PowerDVD 13.
malone88 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 25, 2006 09:37 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
The resume playback function is listed in the user guide and like the above two contributors I find this function does not work and although this issue was raised in July no response has been posted. Is there any point in using this forum
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Blu-ray disc does not support the classic resume as you know from DVD or from file playback when it uses BD-J

greetings
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
Deadeye [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 03, 2013 14:18 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
BD-J are you saying it only supports some type of Blu-ray discs.

On page 51, under "Blu-ray disc playback menu" it states that there is a resume feature in this product for Blu-Ray.

http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/user_guide/powerdvd/13/PowerDVD_ENU.pdf

I have both PowerDVD 9 and 13 installed on my machine. Powerdvd 13 will not let me resume playback, but PDVD9 will.

This really needs to be escalated to customer services IMHO, you can't list features the product doesn't have.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 12. 2013 15:50

malone88 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I agree with all of the posters to this thread in particular deadeye. For the sake of completeness I wish to advise that with regard to my earlier thread I find that if I access PowerDvd 13 via WMC I am occasionally offered the options of Resume or Restart and when this happens the resume function works. For whatever reason using PowerDVD 13 on its own , the resume function is always greyed out.
Deadeye [Avatar]
[Post New]
I originally contacted Technical Support, before writing on this forum:

I can't seem to ammend my previous ticket:
CS001315982

I was told the following:
"PowerDVD 13 does not support auto resume for Blu-ray playback. We have reported this issue to product team as a feature suggestion."

I was reviewing the PowerDVD 13 manual on page 51 of your manual, you state that Resume is a feature of PowerDVD 13.

Please can you modify your request to the product team as it isn't a feature requested, it is a listed feature in your own User Manual, that is not working!

Please feel free to pass this email on to customer services for me too.

Again I have ask why is this feature not available. Also I notice that I can't bookmark any of my Bluray films.

I received the follow response on Friday

Thank you for writing back.

This is to inform you that I have re-escalated your concern with details to our Product & Development team for further analysis.

We will get back to you on your original CSID # CS001315982 as soon as we get updates about your case.

I would appreciate your patience and understanding regarding the same.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 15. 2013 12:39

Deadeye [Avatar]
[Post New]
Okay I got a response. Which I think is unacceptable.

Regarding to your concern, I have re-escalated to our concern department for further review, and they have informed you that after checking with product team, product team has confirmed that the resume function for BD playback is removed in order to improve program performance. This is current design for PowerDVD 13. We will report this issue as new feature request.

Just got off the phone with Citizens advise it appears Cyberlink are in breach of the UK Sales of Goods Act and EU Consumer law. As this product has been misdiscribed, you are entitled to a refund if you want it (if less than 6 months since purchase UK)
Deadeye [Avatar]
[Post New]
Okay another response.

the decision of removing the auto-resume for BD playback was made after deep assessment. The function only supports few BD titles that does not have BD-Java feature. Also,removing this function greatly reduces loading time of PowerDVD 13.

Like we said, we have reported your concern to our product team. We will reconsider to add this function back. However, we cannot guarantee this will be added back to PowerDVD 13.

PDVD13 as a Blu-Ray player doesn't have many features. Comparing it to PDVD9 it is a real step backwards. No resume, no bookmarking. Yes all the other new features are great, but I purchased this product primarily to play DVDs and Blu-Rays. I am not best pleased with what they have done.

I was reviewing trial versions from PowerDVD13 competitors last week, I have found an alternative product that has resume and similar groovy features. I may have to jump ship.
malone88 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I would like to have an update on the progress made in restoring the "resume play" function for Blu-ray discs, since Deadeye's post of 22 December 2013.
At the moment it appears that the client has no basis on which to believe the claims made by the manufacturer for its products.
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
this is current behavior of PowerDVD 13, the resume is disabled for Blu-ray disc

br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
Grandpabear [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 18, 2014 05:28 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Surprised at the assumption we'd rather have a quicker loading time than have all the inconvenience and delay involved in waiting for the BD to load and get to the menu. As I regularly watch my videos in sections, this lack of facility on Blu ray (which, like others, I had on PDVD 9) is a serious nuisance. I have pm'd Deadeye to find out if he has jumped ship and, if so, to which app. May well follow him. Please get your act together, Cyberlink.
Deadeye [Avatar]
[Post New]
I just replied to your PM.

Why Cyberlink didn't stick a tick box option so you could choose to resume bluray playback at the cost of slower start of PDVD. Instead of making this one size fits all decision.

I have to say Cyberlink-Michael responses is like a stuck record. It would be so AWESOME if he could check with the Product & Development team to see if they have reconsidered adding this function back, per their response (see my post 3rd December). And then gave them a royal flaming if they haven't.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 18. 2014 18:46

Tryton1000 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 10, 2014 20:23 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I just upgraded from PDVD 11 which had resume to PDVD 14 ultra, only to find out I lost the feature I used most.. If I would have only known, I would on NEVER PAID for a downgrade.. I am really pissed about this. Cyberlink PLEASE PUT THIS BACK!!!
Grandpabear [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sadly, Triton 1000, CyberLink seem to have given up even bothering to look at this thread. They certainly show no inclination to admit their mistake and give the resume option back to us.
Grandpabear [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've just tried another (very cross) message to customer support. I'm not hopeful, but perhaps if some of you others who are following this thread would also have another go....?
Tryton1000 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 10, 2014 20:23 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I will follow your lead and contact them myself. This really sucks Cyberlink!!
Deadeye [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have to agree, if it is a performance issue like they said. “removing this function greatly reduces loading time of PowerDVD 13. “
Why don’t they release an optional patch so people who want to resume BluRay playback, can install the patch. Knowing they will be a slight increase in performance of launching PDVD.

I would prefer to wait a few seconds longer for PowerDVD to open then the time it takes me opening BluRay watching all the intros, selecting the language option and then selecting the scene I was in.

If they had left bookmarking in I would have accepted this, but they removed that as well.

Tryton1000, I installed the demo of PDVD14 and saw that the Resume function wasn’t resolved, also reading the PDVD14 user guide it doesn’t make it clear if you can or cannot resume BluRays.

Page 67 of their manual for PDVD14.

Blu-ray Disc Playback Menu
When playing back Blu-ray Discs* in CyberLink PowerDVD, click the button to
access the following features:
Note: * this feature is not available in some versions of CyberLink
PowerDVD.

Resume: select to return to the last scene you were previously watching. This
function is best if you stopped playback to go to the disc menu, and then you
want to quickly return to the scene you were just watching.”

Are they saying this feature isn’t available in PowerDVD14 in the PowerDVD14 manual. Or are their different flavours of powerdvd14? Or are they talking about PowerDVD9 in their PowerDVD14 manual???? What a joke!
Grandpabear [Avatar]
[Post New]
This is the correspondence I've had thus far.

You have a number of angry customers on the following thread: PowerDVD 13 will not resume playback of last scene (Blu-ray only).

No satisfactory response has ever been given either to the main question, or to the subsidiary questions on this thread. Will you please advise when we are going to have this option restored to us. If you have no plans to do so, will you please ensure people 'upgrading' from versions with the option are clearly informed this option is no longer available. Please note that I, for one, will not be buying from CyberLink again until this is resolved. I have stopped recommending Power DVD, which I used to frequently do. You are in danger of losing a lot of customer goodwill over the way you are handling this.

Thank you for contacting CyberLink Technical Support. 

I understand your concern that you are facing problem of resume playback in CyberLink PowerDVD 13 with bluray only.

Regarding your concern, I would like to inform you that, in order to speed up the loading time of BD playback, PowerDVD 13 no longer have resume feature for BD playback. 

However, regarding this suggestion, we will still feedback to product team and hopefully they can find a solution to improve this behavior in future development.

This is a follow up to my previous request and your reply to it. You simply do not deal with my complaint, and you clearly have not looked at the forum thread I refer to in it. The fact is that many users of PowerDVD13 and 14 would gladly accept a slightly longer load time for the far greater convenience of being able to resume playing of BDs.

It's clear that you are simply providing the 'official view'. Will you please refer this serious complaint higher up the management chain. All we ask is for a patch to enable us to use your otherwise excellent product in an efficient way.
Grandpabear [Avatar]
[Post New]
And, to nobody's surprise, the usual evasive answer:

"Thank you for writing back.

I appreciate your comments and suggestions and will use them to help improve our products / services when making future decisions.

I have forwarded your concern to our Product and Development department for further analysis and future updates."

It's clear both this forum and Cyberlink's customer service are a waste of time and energy.