Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Raw Images Display With Very Pink Cast
dan_public123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 21, 2013 00:45 Messages: 44 Offline
[Post New]
I just purchased the Director Suite. Since PhotoDirector is very similar to Adobe Lightroom it is very easy to figure out. Or so I thought. All of the RAW files from my Panasonic GH3 display with a very pink cast (see attachment).

The original RAW file shown in PhotoDirector is also attached for reference.

Since I have 30 days to return the Director Suite, I'm not particularly worried. I can replace the Director Suite with PowerDirector Ultimate Suite and continue to use Lightroom. But I'd like to use PhotoDirector because it should integrate better with the other CyberLink products.

Is there a setting in PhotoDirector that I'm missing (I looked carefully)? A known bug?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan.
 Filename
DTC_2013_0622_6.RW2
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
19333 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
592 time(s)
[Thumb - PhotoDirectorDoesNotDisplayRAWImagesCorrectly.jpg]
 Filename
PhotoDirectorDoesNotDisplayRAWImagesCorrectly.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
345 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
490 time(s)
Director Suite with PD11
PC: Win7/64, 32Gb memory, SSD sys disk, Raid 5 data disk, Raid 0 production disk.
[Post New]
Hello Dan,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum.

Could you please check that you are running the latest build of PhotoDirector? 4.0.3929.0 If not, you can update here.

In my PhD4, RAW images from the Panasonic GH3 display correctly. The screenshot shows the JPG version beside the RW2.

PIX
[Thumb - PanaGH3_Display.png]
 Filename
PanaGH3_Display.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
195 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3075 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 25. 2013 15:51

PIX YouTube channel
[Post New]
Dan,

The download of your RAW file finally completed. It also displays correctly in PhD4. (screenshot attached)

The previous version - PhotoDirector3 - shows the pink tinge you're referring to.

PIX

[Thumb - Dan's RW2.jpg]
 Filename
Dan's RW2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
312 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
523 time(s)
PIX YouTube channel
dan_public123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
PIX,

That's strange. I'm using the latest version. (I downloaded and installed the latest patch just after I installed it.). That said...

I had the trial version of PowerDirector installed before buying the full suite. And I have a current issue with .MOV file previews in PowerDirector that is strange too. I wonder if they are related?

Unless you can suggest something else, I'm going to deinstall everything and then check the registry for any "old" stuff. Then reinstall. Any other suggestions before I splat everything?

Thanks,

Dan. Director Suite with PD11
PC: Win7/64, 32Gb memory, SSD sys disk, Raid 5 data disk, Raid 0 production disk.
[Post New]
Hello again Dan,

Yes, I did read about your issues with .MOV files in the PDR forum. I very much doubt that the two are related.

True, PowerDirector imports the RAW files OK, but it converts them to JPGs.

There have been may reports of certain .MOV files not previewing properly in PDR. I've had no problems with Canon MOV files from 7D, 5DMkIII or 500D. I'll leave that for the PDR forum thread.

A complete uninstall/registry clean of the whole DirectorSuite might be a good idea. At least it would "clear the decks" of potential causes. I use Revo Uninstaller or CCleaner for that.

I cannot suggest any other steps to resolve it, based on what you've said.

PIX

PIX YouTube channel
dan_public123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
PIX,

I've heard of both of those cleaners. Which one do you prefer most? Or both?

Thanks,

dan_public123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I just got everything cleaned out manually and reinstalled again. At first the raw photos imported, looked good for a second, and then went pink. Then I noticed that I had not installed the latest patch. When I installed the latest patch, it worked fine.

Note that after my first install I had the "pink" problem even AFTER installing the latest patch. Very strange.

At this point I'm more than a little leery, but it looks OK now. At least I can eval it fairly and make a decent decision about switching from Lightroom.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Dan.

P.s. I'm a professional contract software developer (been doing it for more than two decades). I've written installers/deinstallers professionally. It's a difficult challenge to keep track of all of the files, folders, and registry entries to ensure that deinstalls and reinstalls are smooth. After looking at the "mouse droppings" left after the CyberLink deinstall, my professional opinion is that the their installer/deinstaller code needs some serious work. Director Suite with PD11
[Post New]
Good news Dan. I'm glad that resolved the RAW files display issue in PhD.

About you uninstaller question, Revo is my "go to" program, particularly as it has the option of different scan levels.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
dan_public123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
PIX,

Thanks, I'll check out Revo.

Regards,

Nitrus [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 12, 2014 19:38 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I'm having the same problem with images imported from my Nikon D5300. I'm using PhotoDirector 5.0.4426.0.
[Thumb - 2014-06-12 18_48_31-PhotoDirector5.png]
 Filename
2014-06-12 18_48_31-PhotoDirector5.png
[Disk]
 Description
JPG vs "RAW"
 Filesize
1012 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
403 time(s)
[Post New]
Hello Nitrus,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum

We have something in common. NEF files from my Nikon D5300 do not display correctly either, even with the latest patch, 5315 installed. The display, here, is quite different from yours.

You can download the latest update here - http://www.cyberlink.com/support/photodirector-ultra/patches_en_GB.html

I'll need to investigate this further because raw samples downloaded from http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-d5300/nikon-d5300GALLERY.HTM DO display properly

If I can't locate a possible cause, I'll refer the issue to CyberLink.

PIX
[Thumb - Nikon D5300 RAW.png]
 Filename
Nikon D5300 RAW.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
442 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4028 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 12. 2014 21:43

PIX YouTube channel
[Post New]
Hello again Nitrus,

This has now been referred to CyberLink and the R&D team will be investigating the cause & solution

Before escalating the issue, I completely uninstalled and re-installed PhotoDirector then applied the 5315 patch. Unfortunately this made no difference.

Stay tuned for any updates.

Your post raises another question related to the version of PhD you're running. You stated it is "PhotoDirector 5.0.4426.0", yet this patch isn't available at http://www.cyberlink.com/support/photodirector-ultra/patches_en_GB.html Could you please clarify the source of your purchase/update?

PIX

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 13. 2014 14:55

PIX YouTube channel
Nitrus [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi PIX,

Thanks for your suggestion. When I first installed PhotoDirector 3 days ago, it did not report that there was an update available. However, after your suggestion, I checked again and was able to download the 5315 update and that seems to have fixed the problem (mostly). The "mostly" part is that the thumbnails at the bottom of the screen still appear pink until they are selected, then they look normal. Probably an artifact of the fact that they were originally imported with the older version.

I purchased my copy of PhotoDirector as a retail box through Amazon.com. I updated using the automated update feature within PhotoDirector.

Just out of curiosity, are you using 12-bit or 14-bit RAW images on your D5300? I'm shooting 14-bit. Still learning all the bells and whistles on the D5300...lots more buttons than my old D50 :
Nitrus [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yep...there's your problem. 14-bit works fine, but 12-bit imports wonky. So yea, if you have the ability to escalate to Cyberlink Support, they definitely have a problem reading 12-bit RAW images.
[Post New]
Nitrus,

Thank you, that's superb investigation! You're absolutely correct. 14-bit NEFs display correctly. 12-bit NEFs don't. (in digging around to learn the ins & outs of 12-bit vs. 14-bit, I found that quite a few other photo editors had similar display problems)

Here's an interesting read on the topic http://www.nx101.com/12vs14.html

Quote: Probably an artifact of the fact that they were originally imported with the older version.

I'd say you're right again, since PhD creates a cache. Clearing that would possibly right the issue.

So, we have some other things in common. We're both finding our way around the camera (12-bit is the default setting) & we've both been able to help each other.

I'll pass on your excellent observation to the R&D team. They'll be able to use that to focus their attention on the 12-bit NEF display issue.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
[Post New]
The problem is still present also with last 5424 patch ?

Tks

Luca
[Post New]
Hello Luca -

Unfortunately, the 5424 patch did not address the 12-bit RAW files issue.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Iris1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 16, 2014 02:05 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I've had the same issue, and only since I installed the Amazon purchased disc version. The first import after updating to the paid version, the RAWs were pink. No problem in 30 days with the trial version at all. Same library, same files in same original folders, same drive.

I'm running Mac version 5.0.5424.0, with the library on an external USB drive - so I can catalogue on-the-go.

More and more Sony A3000 RAW images throughout my library are going pink. Initially I re-imported a few and that fixed it for a while, but the issue is growing.

I find it interesting that the trial version doesn't have this issue, but the paid version does! Should I be trying the downloaded version. Is this the same as the update I downloaded?

This is most disappointing and really needs to be fixed or I'll be returning PhotoDirector for a refund.
A D [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 01, 2014 07:51 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Well having tried this in my new pc (pre-installed) and subsequently experienced the 'pink cast' issue relating to RAW along with other quite disappointing running issues, I have to say I'm totally unimpressed with this product.

I'm used to running the Canon DPP and LR5 and tbh this product has far too many issues to retain my interest, next port of call for me, 'add remove programmes'......................

Grant [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 22, 2014 22:18 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Just a nudge - this issue was reported June 3013 and it's Sept 2014, exactly how long does it take to rectify a fault that makes RAW images unusable in Photo Director?

I imported images from my new A6000 camera last night and watched the thumbnails change from normal to pink as they scrolled into view.

Has there been any progress on resolving this?
As I wrote above - no such issue with the trial version, so hopefully there is working code that just needs to be rolled out.